Thread: Speer Gold Dot 22 Magnum Rounds Suck

Speer Gold Dot 22 Magnum Rounds Suck

Today I was sighting in my Savage .22 mag rifle in preparation for Spring groundhog shooting. I shot a Speer Gold Dot round (that I believe was developed for self defense use) at a 12oz soda bottle filled with water. The range was about 20 yards. Much to my amazement the gold dot bullet more or less exploded upon contact with the soda bottle leaving about a 3 inch entry hole and no exist hole. Shooting a ground hog with one of these rounds would be a total joke and I suspect as a self defense round out of a handgun it is also a total joke.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

If it was marketed as a handgun defensive round, than it was simply traveling too fast for that bullet style due to the longer barrel of your rifle.

While conventional wisdom would suggest that if came out of handgun barrel than it must automatically be less effective, but in reality, truly effective hollow point bullet designs will achieve lesser penetration as the velocity increases, and greater penetration as velocity decreases. Additionally, I suspect that coming out of your rifle, the penetration will be greater when shooting at targets which are further away and therefor will receive less energy.

For example, .22 LR fired from a handgun will generally fail to expand and will overpenetrate a ballistic gel block and pass all the way through. However, the same cartridge fired from a 16" barrel will reliably expand and stop within the gel block at an appropriate depth.

I suspect that your rounds were designed for handgun length barrels. Also, it sounds like these rounds would liquify a ground hogs brain with a head shot. But I've never been groundhog hunting so what do I know.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

12 1/2" inches coming from a 2" with 1099 FPS.

Considering these results with a 2" barrel, I'm not surprised that they exploded on impact coming out of a 16" or 18" barrel.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Now you have me wondering what a 9mm 115 gr +p+ would do coming out of a carbine barrel. Maybe blow the barrel with excess pressure.

Or a 125/110 gr .357 from a 18" barrel.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Good video and good observation about the speed of rifle .vs speed of handgun fired rounds.