Thread: Replacing Gas Block with out uninstalling the barrel?

Replacing Gas Block with out uninstalling the barrel?

Hey guys. I've purchased a replacement GB for my SAR-1 so that I can have a functional bayonet lug. Most of the tutorials I've seen online show the process done with the barrel uninstalled. I'm hoping that I can do it without disassembling the gun that much. I'm thinking just pop off the FSB and GB, and then press the new ones on, but having never done the pressing work before, I'm not sure if that's going to be a huge hassle without the barrel removed? Any info and tips are greatly appreciated!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have changed many gas and sight blocks, all without removing the barrel.

The only problem I have run into is that some you just drive the cross pins out, then tap the blocks off the rifle while others required I make a special plate with a slot for the barrel just fits in that catches the gas or sight block, and then needed a 10 ton press to break the gas or sight block free from the barrel. It seems some were slip fit, and some press fit, which when you think about the loose tolerances of the AK it is not surprising

Suggest removing the cross pins, and then soak both gas and sight blocks in a penetrating oil for a few hours if not overnight. Then using a heavy rubber hammer try to move the blocks side to side first to break them loose from the barrel. If they move easily you can then walk them off their mounts by alternating side to side blows of the hammer with slight forward thrust. If you are not lucky and they don't move you might have to press them off.

I hope you get lucky!

Thanks for the fast reply! Yeah, I've read that the SARs are usually able to break free pretty easily. I did manage to pop the front pin out of the FSB easily when I installed a plunger pin and spring, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Oh, and I do actually have on more question. My front sight block is slightly canted, and I plan on fixing that while it's off. When I get it centered, will I need to drill the holes larger for larger pins, or just drill the same size bit through the holes to groove the barrel?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I just redrilled the holes using the same size bit and reused the removed cross pins. Some people advocate using slightly larger pins but I have never had a problem reusing the original ones.

That is good to hear, thank you so much!

Okay, so I've been presented with another question... I ordered FSB pins from K-Var, and to me it seems like they may be just *slightly* larger than what I've got... Like, ever so slightly larger because I can't really tell with my naked eye. I know the pins are supposed to be slightly larger than the holes, but I haven't been able to get the pins started at all with light tapping. The pin I ordered was Bulgarian, but their customer service rep told me it would most likely fit my SAR. Should I try giving it a little extra love on the way in, or should I drill the hole out a fraction of a size larger? Or just get pins off of a web site that specifies they are Romanian?

Polish the pin up with a dremel and oil the hole.

Biggest thing with all this is a SECURE NON FLEXING surface which you're beating on , unless you got a press.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

No press at my immediate disposal, but I could go elsewhere for one. Thank you for the advice!