Thread: best way to clean and refinish ak mags?

best way to clean and refinish ak mags?

I have a few that are basically in the white with light surface rust in some spots.
    what is the best way to clean them in and out and how would you go about the refinish?
    what would you use for a finish on them?
    sure seem to be asking a lot of questions lately.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'd sand blast them, then K-Phos them, then Gun Kote them. Which ends up with baking them at 320°F for 1 hour after the GK is applied by Airbrush.

You could also use oxpho blue paste from Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1108.aspx No degreasing required and the finish is a nice dark black after you rub it in a few times. Very durable for a quick blue. 000 or 0000 steel wool for knocking off the surface rust first.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-08-2015 at 08:39 PM.

sand blast, use gunkote k-phos cold phosphate on the bare steel and then gunkote and bake your favorite color.

lol didn't see sheutz's reply before I posted, we suggested basically the same thing.

Ditto on everyone else here. I usually scrub mine down with a bottle brush and dawn dishwashing liquid to get all the oils removed.
    I've used the airbrush as mentioned above with the Gunkote, but found the Harbor Freight Detail Spray Gun more effective and less expensive.

Link:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...gun-92126.html

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

But before you do all that I soak mine in Simple green solution. Works great!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    But before you do all that I soak mine in Simple green solution. Works great!
    you can use brake cleaner or acetone to degrease too. You should do this BEFORE you sand blast to avoid pushing any oil into the metal that can cause problems with the coating down the line.