Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a 22 target style pistol...

Quote Originally Posted by GovGotToGo View Post
    This is my favorite part of Gunsnet, learning from other peoples experiences and opinions.

I'm gonna buy a rimfire 22cal pistol within a week. I know next to nothing about them, but I do have some wants. Maybe y'all can chime in with some tips and suggestions

1. Must be able to shoot both LR, and 22 shorts. (noise reasons)
    2. Accuracy is important, and I want to add a scope eventually.
    3. Simplicity in cleaning and maintenance
    4. Under 350 dollars.

I know Ruger makes a good 22 pistol, as well as browning, but are there any others I should consider? I'm open to revolvers as well, as long as they can mount a scope.
    If you want to also shoot shorts or CB caps, you'll need a revolver. A semi auto action won't cycle with tiny rounds.

For .22LR only, you can't beat a Ruger MK-II (or MK-III). If I wanted another Ruger 22, I would look for a MK-II.... I don't like the MK-III at all.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Ah the M41, forgot about that one and it can be had with a short conversion. Just not for $350...

I haven't had any experience with the 22A, how do you like it?
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    If you want to also shoot shorts or CB caps, you'll need a revolver. A semi auto action won't cycle with tiny rounds.

For .22LR only, you can't beat a Ruger MK-II (or MK-III). If I wanted another Ruger 22, I would look for a MK-II.... I don't like the MK-III at all.
    Why not?Other than not being able to take of Helicopters and cook pizzas these are fine pistols.The pistol has a reputation for one shot killing Sasquatch.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

What about a conversion kit for a pistol you already have? There seem to be a number of them on the market.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    Ah the M41, forgot about that one and it can be had with a short conversion. Just not for $350...

I haven't had any experience with the 22A, how do you like it?
    Don't own one but shot one. felt right in my hand and at 50' I wasn't missing any pop cans with it. It would make a great woods gun for small game.

I could never afford another M41 so I am having to start being careful with the one I have. After 40 years of shooting the one I have I'm down to only 5,000 or 6,000 rounds a year with it. I used to shoot that in a month when I was training.
    Last edited by old Grump; 07-19-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Buckmark. Easier to work with than the Ruger series and lots of aftermarket. I love mine to death.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I have the Beretta Neos and it's proven to be a nice little 22 plinker. It isn't fussy about ammo selection and is easy to break down for cleaning. I've not shot at a paper target over 25 yards with it but at 25 it's pretty accurate, past 25 I'll use a rifle.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Hmmm. The single action ruger revolvers are looking better the more I learn! Does anyone own a bearcat?
    Thread jack!

Well, ok - I have a bearcat and they are neat little revolvers. They are smallish though and of course have fixed sights. This is bascially a kit gun and can shoot any type of .22 rimfire - standard that is...

Somebody mentioned a Ruger Single Six- I also have one of those and like it - full sized and good for squirrel hunting and the like. I tried the .22 Mag cylinder a few times and was underwhelmed by the accuracy and loud muzzle blast.

Both of these Ruger revolvers are reliable and built like tanks.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Hmmm. The single action ruger revolvers are looking better the more I learn! Does anyone own a bearcat?
    I son was ready for his first handgun and we looked at all the different models and he chose the Bearcat himself to go with his Henry.The pistol is a nice gun for a kid,good accuracy and fits a kid sized hand.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'm wanting a nice .22 pistol myself, but I don't care about shorts and I want a semi with a 1911 angle grip.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I'm wanting a nice .22 pistol myself, but I don't care about shorts and I want a semi with a 1911 angle grip.
    The Browning Buckmark has the grip angle of the 1911, and the controls are similiar.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Why not?Other than not being able to take of Helicopters and cook pizzas these are fine pistols.The pistol has a reputation for one shot killing Sasquatch.
    If you mean "why don't I like the MK-III" it's because it has all the useless new features like a magazine disconnect, a loaded chamber indicator and a firing pin block. The magazine disconnect is the worst feature. I would never buy a pistol that had one.

And, loaded chamber indicator? I learned:

(a) treat a firearm as ALWAYS loaded
    (b) always check the chamber

Therefore, it's my responsibility to know when it's physically loaded. I don't need a little thing poking out of the barrel to tell me.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

ALL FOR NAUGHT!

Disatisfied with handgun offerings, (except an old H&R which I may still go buy!) I broke down and just bought a Henry lever action, that can hold 16 LR, or like 24 shorts. 257$ NIB Academy sports, my 1140 got delayed, so maybe pick it up either tomorrow or Thursday, at the latest. This is my first 22, it's been long overdue to be added to the collection. I'm now gonna be able to plink in the back yard, folks down here don't seem to mind!
    The Milkman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12