Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a 22 target style pistol...

Help me choose a 22 target style pistol...

This is my favorite part of Gunsnet, learning from other peoples experiences and opinions.

I'm gonna buy a rimfire 22cal pistol within a week. I know next to nothing about them, but I do have some wants. Maybe y'all can chime in with some tips and suggestions

1. Must be able to shoot both LR, and 22 shorts. (noise reasons)
    2. Accuracy is important, and I want to add a scope eventually.
    3. Simplicity in cleaning and maintenance
    4. Under 350 dollars.

I know Ruger makes a good 22 pistol, as well as browning, but are there any others I should consider? I'm open to revolvers as well, as long as they can mount a scope.
    The Milkman

I'd get a Ruger, back in my prime I could shoot clay pigeons at 100 yds with a std Mk2 with a 1.5X scope (sitting arms braced on my knees). The accuracy was outstanding, their reliability is great and the price was affordable.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GovGotToGo View Post
    This is my favorite part of Gunsnet, learning from other peoples experiences and opinions.

I'm gonna buy a rimfire 22cal pistol within a week. I know next to nothing about them, but I do have some wants. Maybe y'all can chime in with some tips and suggestions

4. Under 350 dollars.

I know Ruger makes a good 22 pistol, as well as browning, but are there any others I should consider? I'm open to revolvers as well, as long as they can mount a scope.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

This might be what you are looking for to shoot both shorts and LR.

My choice for rim fire is my Ruger Mark III.Limited to LR unless there is a short kit?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

There 22 short kits for ruger 22 pistols, mine would fire them stock but I couldn't the mag to feed more then 3 reliably. I've always thought about getting the short mag and try that but really I think you'll find shorts aren't that quiet (or cheap). When I wanted quiet practice I shot colabri no powder loads in mine, which did require me pulling the bolt back on every shot.

A friend of mine brought over a german 22 revolver, and we were shooting 22shorts, they were quieter than my Gamo air rifle.

That smith&wesson is nice, but at 900 bucks, too pricey.
    The Milkman

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    There 22 short kits for ruger 22 pistols, mine would fire them stock but I couldn't the mag to feed more then 3 reliably. I've always thought about getting the short mag and try that but really I think you'll find shorts aren't that quiet (or cheap). When I wanted quiet practice I shot colabri no powder loads in mine, which did require me pulling the bolt back on every shot.
    The money I spent on a brick of shorts I could have bought two bulk pack of the federal 22lr.I have shorts for the young new shooters I bring out.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Almost any Ruger single action would fit your requirements. They'll fire shorts, LR, and mags (if you get the extra cylinder). I found the Ruger SA to be more accurate than I can hold unless I'm using a rest.
    Not sure about a S&W kit gun, but you may be able to find one, second-hand, for about that price. Taurus might be something to look into, too. I don't think Taurus has the quality control problems with their .22's that they've had with the other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    The money I spent on a brick of shorts I could have bought two bulk pack of the federal 22lr.I have shorts for the young new shooters I bring out.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Ruger government model MkII or III - this is the polymer framed model with mag release button.

You can shoot CB LR's in this - but will have to cycle the action manually.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by GovGotToGo View Post

4. Under 350 dollars.

The only way to shoot shorts without a conversion (or manually working the action and/or single feeding) is a revolver and AFAIK any .22 revolver is going to have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The S&W might already be d&t along the rear sight mount, I don't recall.

Accuracy. How accurate? Shooting bullseye, general competition or just plinking and pest control?

It doesn't get any easier than cleaning a revolver. I'm going to catch a load of shit for this but I prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger for ease of cleaning. I've had two Rugers, one new and one used, and they were both a PITA to take down and reassemble. Sure, there's tricks you can learn to make it easier but that's personal preference. The Beretta NEOS isn't bad to break down either.

Depending on the answer to number 2, you may have a lot or a little to choose from. I don't know what the Ruger conversion runs but the short conversion for 10/22s runs close to $200 last time I looked.

New Buckmarks can be had for under $350 and the used target models can be had for under that with smart shopping.

The NEOS can be had all day long for under $275 brand new around here unless you want the INOX finish and 6" barrel.

$900 for a new S&W 617 is nuts and very optimistic on their part. Used K22s in good condition can be had for half that and are just as good, if not better. They just don't have the 10rd cylinder.

I'm just getting acquainted with a Ruger Single Six so I can't offer much right now but shorts out of the 4" (or whatever Ruger used) barrel are quiet enough to pop rats in the garage without alarming anyone. All shots have been under 3" (they were cornered ) but it's accurate enough at that range... Seriously though, I think it had potential as long as the trigger nut doesn't get loose.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

I like this single shot free pistol. I'm pretty sure CDNN still has some for sale. You might check them out?

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I owned a MK III and sold it after 6 months because is was so hard to clean. I got a SIG Mosquito to replace it. It is not as accurate but much easier to maintain.

My MK III was so hard to put back together I actually broke it once. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it and modified it so it would be easier to put back together. I never tried it with the modification though, so I can't tell you how that worked. As soon as it came back I sold it.
    Since you can confess about breaking it I can too.Ruger said I can send it in for repair or take it to a local smith.Ruger told me they made the MK-III tighter than the older models which makes them harder to reassemble.

Ruger was still going to charge me either way for the repairs etc.I had the local guy help me out.I'll never take it apart again.Great pistols super accurate but overly complicated.

Hmmm. The single action ruger revolvers are looking better the more I learn! Does anyone own a bearcat?
    The Milkman

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    The only way to shoot shorts without a conversion (or manually working the action and/or single feeding) is a revolver and AFAIK any .22 revolver is going to have to be drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The S&W might already be d&t along the rear sight mount, I don't recall.

Accuracy. How accurate? Shooting bullseye, general competition or just plinking and pest control?

It doesn't get any easier than cleaning a revolver. I'm going to catch a load of shit for this but I prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger for ease of cleaning. I've had two Rugers, one new and one used, and they were both a PITA to take down and reassemble. Sure, there's tricks you can learn to make it easier but that's personal preference. The Beretta NEOS isn't bad to break down either.

Depending on the answer to number 2, you may have a lot or a little to choose from. I don't know what the Ruger conversion runs but the short conversion for 10/22s runs close to $200 last time I looked.

New Buckmarks can be had for under $350 and the used target models can be had for under that with smart shopping.

The NEOS can be had all day long for under $275 brand new around here unless you want the INOX finish and 6" barrel.

$900 for a new S&W 617 is nuts and very optimistic on their part. Used K22s in good condition can be had for half that and are just as good, if not better. They just don't have the 10rd cylinder.

I'm just getting acquainted with a Ruger Single Six so I can't offer much right now but shorts out of the 4" (or whatever Ruger used) barrel are quiet enough to pop rats in the garage without alarming anyone. All shots have been under 3" (they were cornered ) but it's accurate enough at that range... Seriously though, I think it had potential as long as the trigger nut doesn't get loose.
    I can agree with you about the Ruger pistols being a PITA to clean and take down.I don't do it anymore I just run a brush and patch down the barrel clean with carb cleaner and spray it down with rem oil and wipe down.The Buckmark looks like a great pistol.I would not mind having one for my daughter instead of the MK-III stainless for the ease of cleaning.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I owned a MK III and sold it after 6 months because is was so hard to clean. I got a SIG Mosquito to replace it. It is not as accurate but much easier to maintain.

My MK III was so hard to put back together I actually broke it once. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it and modified it so it would be easier to put back together. I never tried it with the modification though, so I can't tell you how that worked. As soon as it came back I sold it.

Another vote for the ruger mk series...
    Ive got a mkII government, and a MIII hunter, and both of them are fun to shoot, and downright deadly accurate for critters.

I vote Browning Buckmark.
    My Buckmark has been a really fun plinker, is very accurate, and pretty easy to clean.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I vote for the Ruger Single Six with convertible cylinder. I have one and love it. Very accurate.

I have a Buckmark and a Ruger MK. I have to agree with the others that I like the Buckmark better. So much easier to take apart and put back together. The other big factor for me is barrels. You can change barrels on a Buckmark. A Ruger's barrel is pressed into the receiver so if you want to put a new barrel in it, you're buying a new receiver, too which has to go to an FFL. Pain in the balls if you ask me.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Another vote for Ruger single six but whatever you get I always tell my new shooters to have the clerk show you the dis-assembly and assembly procedure. If it isn't easy to do you won't do it often enough or shoot it as much as you want to.

Most good ones will be accurate, some more than others depending on how may shekels you have to put out. A Buckmark Camper is as about as cheap as you can get in a Buckmark and to shoot shorts you will probably have to do it single shot. Dis assembly isn't bad but more work than I like. My S&W M41 spoiled me for ease of break down. Another reason to consider revolver.

Personally if I had to do it again for that kind of money and a pistol is wanted over a revolver I would get a S&W 22A and use the extra money for more ammo.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast