Thread: Hornady .312” 150 gr soft point bullets in stock & other stuff

Hornady .312” 150 gr soft point bullets in stock & other stuff

Hi guys,

Newbee here & thought I'd post the following. For those of you not aware, Midway finally has Hornady Interlock 303 Cal. 0.312” diameter 150 gr soft point bullets. Hornady # 3120. You may be aware that these have not been in production for a long time. I’ve been bugging Hornady off and one for at least a year to make some more. They will go a long way in maximizing the accuracy in the Mosin. I just picked up a box of 100 at $24.99.

Not having any reloadable cases I also bought a couple of boxes (40 total) of the Serbia made Prvi Partizan (PPU) 150 gr soft point boat tail ammo with the intentions to shoot it than reload with the Hornady bullets. But come to find out the PPU bullet diameters are 0.3113” so they may shoot very well in the Mosin. If you are not a reloader these may be the ideal cartridges for hunting with your Mosin.

I have been shooting the Russian made zinc plated steel Silver Bear 174 gr full jacketed ammo with less than stellar results. The bullet diameter in these is 0.309”, which is a little small in my Mosin which has a groove dia. of 0.3115” and a land (bore) dia. of 0.3025”. The measurements were taken from an impact impression and also confirmed by slugging the bore. BTW, FWIW the impact impression resulted in an overall cartridge length of 2.130” and a neck dia. of 0.340”.

I pulled the bullets on 30 of the PPU ammo & plan to reload 10 with Win. 748 powder, 10 with IMR4350 and 10 with IMR 4831, the only Mosin compatible powders I have in stock. I’ll head to the range with the reloads and the original PPU ammo to check out the results.

BTW, The PPU brass is very nice and uniform with a length of 2.10” and neck wall thickness of 0.0105” to 0.0110”, resulting in a loaded neck diameter of around 0.334” using the Hornady bullets.

Wayne

Useful info! Now I just need a Mosin...
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

OK guys. I’m back from the range & here’re the results. It was not a perfect day but not bad. The wind was gusting 20 to 25 mph but directly from 6:00. I shoot slowly to allow the barrel to cool down a bit between shots and waited even longer between strings. The Russian Silver Bear full jacketed ammo really surprised me as it has not shot as well during previous outings and the bullet diameter is 0.309”. For hunting it’s a tossup since most are 1-shot kills. Boy, the PPU ammo is quite hot, averaging over 2900 fps. Based on all the results it looks like 2.5 MOA is about the best I’m going to get with this rifle and my shooting ability. You will notice that statistically the 53 gr of IMR4350 was the best and 47 gr of Win. 748 the worse.

BTW, the sights were not adjusted between strings. And the rifle is a 91-30 with a perfect bore. The receiver has the holes filled in where the scope mount was attached so it may have been selected for a sniper at one time.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 02-20-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

What range were you shooting at, 50 ft? Based on groupings that Silver Bear and Prvi look pretty good, though none were that bad.

How was the Silver Bear for barrel fouling? I have used Silver Bear in my CZ 82 (pistol in 9x18 Mak) and it is like cleaning a chimney when I am done. I have never shot anything so dirty before.

BTW, welcome to the board! Good to see someone else is shooting.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    What range were you shooting at, 50 ft? Based on groupings that Silver Bear and Prvi look pretty good, though none were that bad.

How was the Silver Bear for barrel fouling? I have used Silver Bear in my CZ 82 (pistol in 9x18 Mak) and it is like cleaning a chimney when I am done. I have never shot anything so dirty before.

BTW, welcome to the board! Good to see someone else is shooting.
    =================================================

ltorlo64, thanks for the welcome. As noted on the targets the range was 100 yds. Have you had your coffee yet? Sorry, since I'm not the most observant person around I could not pass up the opportunity to take a friendly shot at someone else.

Concerning fouling, I did not notice a difference but I was not paying attention when cleaning the bore, maybe I should have.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 02-20-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Hey guys,

This is “the rest of the story”. Being a basically honest person I need to “fess up” and divulge that the Mosin I used for the range tests is a “sporterized” version with a modern scope, hence the ability to use small bulls-eye targets. I bought three M1891/30’s 12 months ago, hoping that one had a very nice bore I could use for a conversion platform. Not being a collector I didn’t care if the numbers matched and therefore got a good deal, around $80/rifle. I lucked out. The bore looks like new in the one I converted. I cleaned up the other two with slightly dark but certainly usable bores. These were sold along with the stock and accessories from the converted rifle. The profits were sufficient to cover the cost of the conversion stock and kits.

The sporterized rifle features a synthetic Monte Carlo stock, bent bolt kit and scope mount kit. I attached an inexpensive Tasco 3-9X40mm scope. Also, due to the scope extending closely over the original safety knob, the knob was replaced with an extended finger pull version. I relieved the stock to float the barrel; ground off the front and rear remaining sight bases and refinished the barrel. The bottom line is it’s not worth the time and effort if one plans on selling the converted rifles. The $80 rifle and conversion parts/kits totaled around $250, not including all the work involved. You will not make a profit. I did it mainly as a fun project. There, I feel better with that off my chest. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

As a result of my testing I would take with a grain of salt anyone reporting that they can get 2MOA or less with 10-shots with their Mosin, especially with iron sights. I expect 2MOA is feasible with my rifle after additional load testing and upgrading the trigger, but doubt further improvements without a lot of work and additional expense, which does not make sense with a $100 rifle.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 02-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

You need to post a picture of the complete rifle. Would love to see it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    You need to post a picture of the complete rifle. Would love to see it.
    Here ya go.
    Wayne

that actually looks nice. that hornady .312 150gr is one my main bullets .

I've been meaning to pick up some PPU .303 brit. Is the brass decent for reloading VS being hard as a rock?

Even with wind gusts, that's not too shabby .

Benched on a rest/sandbags ? I prefer a bipod.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 02-21-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    that actually looks nice. that hornady .312 150gr is one my main bullets .
    I've been meaning to pick up some PPU .303 brit. Is the brass decent for reloading VS being hard as a rock?
    Even with wind gusts, that's not too shabby .
    Benched on a rest/sandbags ? I prefer a bipod.

The PPU brass was easy to reload. No problems encountered. The rifle was benched using a front rest and sandbag for rear.
    Wayne