Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glocks fires by tee shirt...

well i guess i have something to do today. let me see how many times it takes to jam my t-shirt into my Serpa with my Glock until i shoot myself in the leg.

call me a poor man's MythBusters!
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

I would be inclined to think he tried to holster with his finger still in the trigger guard. Because he was in some kind of match there might have been a slight delay in noticing the discharge and subsequent wound. By that time he was holding his rifle and assumed the pistol discharged at the time he finally felt it. Adrenaline does funny things to a mans memory.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyvaughn View Post

... Adrenaline does funny things to a mans memory.

Scott
    Kinda like how you forget what happened after you taser somebody 12 times for jaywalking?

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

After practicing for matches, you almost instinctively pull your trigger finger out so you can re-holster! It's like when I pick up a 1911, which I haven't owned in 15 years, my thumb automatically reaches and feels for the thumb safety. When I pick up an AR15, my thumb naturally finds the selector switch! It's muscle memory.

...holstering a loaded weapon, no matter how fast the course is, should come instinctively!!!!

My SERPA is so slick and easy, that it has a distinctive feel when it locks in place. I had to develop the memory to draw with my trigger finger in right position, but it didn't take long to do. Holstering is the same way. Finger comes off and out as soon as you're putting the weapon away. Luckily, in IDPA, you have an SO monitoring your every move and you'll get gigged if you do something wrong. They're right on top of you when holstering loaded and unloaded.

IMHO, if you're doing a three-gun match, you need your holster at your your thigh, rather than your hip anyway. And the SOs should be monitoring every single movement!

I think his finger was on the trigger when he tried to shove the pistol in the holster! Or it was at least not fully out of the trigger well...

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    well i guess i have something to do today. let me see how many times it takes to jam my t-shirt into my Serpa with my Glock until i shoot myself in the leg.

call me a poor man's MythBusters!

Snap caps please

XD

Well weather or not the tee shirt story is true, if he had been using an XD it never would have happend. Unless that shirt got a hold of the grip saftey

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Well weather or not the tee shirt story is true, if he had been using an XD it never would have happend. Unless that shirt got a hold of the grip saftey
    I guess that is if you buy the story the tee shirt fired the weapon...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I tend to agree with the BS side on this one.

Oh I suppose some one-in-a-million scenario could happen but really, the shirt somehow managed to get in the trigger guard as he was holstering it and somehow it managed to pull the trigger instead of just pulling out of the holster.

Yeah right!

More likely he shot himself then when asked, "....ummm uh well uhh my T-shirt got caught in the trigger! Yeah, yeah, that's it my t-shirt somehow snagged the trigger!!!"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Yeah but XDs suck!

I could see it catching something WHILE it was being pushed into the holster, but not once it was IN the holster.

Oddness.

I carry my G19 in a Serpa daily at work and I feel completely safe doing so. I fail to see how all these negligent discharges happen.

I call BS too. Dumbass shot himself and is looking for something to blame other than himself.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Snap caps please
    damn it man! you took the fun out of it.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Part of my theory is based on how high the shot is on his thigh, almost at his hip. I don't think the pistol was all the way in the holster to have hit that high.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yeah but XDs suck!

Ouch!
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Quote Originally Posted by deputyvaughn View Post
    Part of my theory is based on how high the shot is on his thigh, almost at his hip. I don't think the pistol was all the way in the holster to have hit that high.

Scott
    My SERPA puts the muzzle just below the belt-line, so the bullet placement is probably on mark. I still think his finger did the deed...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I tend to agree with the BS side on this one.

Oh I suppose some one-in-a-million scenario could happen but really, the shirt somehow managed to get in the trigger guard as he was holstering it and somehow it managed to pull the trigger instead of just pulling out of the holster.

Yeah right!

More likely he shot himself then when asked, "....ummm uh well uhh my T-shirt got caught in the trigger! Yeah, yeah, that's it my t-shirt somehow snagged the trigger!!!"
    I was thinking the exact same thing. The guy had to come up with some kind of excuse after he blasts himself. In the words of Gunny Sgt Lee Ermey What a "Jack Wagon".
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I was thinking the exact same thing. The guy had to come up with some kind of excuse after he blasts himself. In the words of Gunny Sgt Lee Ermey What a "Jack Wagon".
    That is now my favority commercial!

I believe it. All the shirt has to do it grab the bottom, sharp area of the trigger. Look at any trigger, and bottom of them, where they end, can be pointy and sharp. Perfect to grab a t-shirt if the gun was holstered WITH the shirt on the side. Its freak, yes, but in my opinion very possible. I have been considering a serpa, might rethink it a bit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    I believe it. All the shirt has to do it grab the bottom, sharp area of the trigger. Look at any trigger, and bottom of them, where they end, can be pointy and sharp. Perfect to grab a t-shirt if the gun was holstered WITH the shirt on the side. Its freak, yes, but in my opinion very possible. I have been considering a serpa, might rethink it a bit.....
    Sure, if the shirt could get in there. I challenge you to try and make your shirt go into your trigger guard. Seriously! Simply attempt to make the shirt somehow get into the trigger guard. Even laying the shirt inside the holster and pushing the gun down in (hard to do mind you), you have a trigger guard protecting the trigger.

As for the SERPA, what makes it any different than any other holster in this regard? I own Galco, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, Fobus and Blackhawk and cannot see where any design would be more prone to causing this. The smaller compression holsters used for competition will all have the same small size / large opening.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm have to agree with most folks on here. It's most likely a case of the guy accidently shooting himself and blaming it on the gun/holster/t-shirt instead of his on neglagence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast