Thread: SVT 40 A special one of mine.

SVT 40 A special one of mine.

I purchased this SVT 40 at an online auction for $800 in 2012. I think it was a fair price considering the condition of it. It is a 1940 Tula. The Tula Armory is in my opinion the superior manufacturer of Russian military firearms. I have Mosins and AKs as well as the SVT and I just like the Tula better and, it has a slightly better value than the Izhevsks.

The stock had a couple of pits on the fore end which had been filled with some kind of putty that did not work well. The metal fore end pieces were badly rusted and worn. The front muzzle/flash hider and sight piece was missing and it did not have a cleaning rod. The bolt was stained or otherwise splotchy discolored (it was not the traditional plumb color). And last, but not least, the rear stock sling swivel was/is missing.

I purchased new metal fore end pieces and muzzle end with sight and six slot flash hider from Numrich. I had the bolt polished by Max Shepard who did an excellent job. Max specializes in Mosin Nagant bolt work. Then I cleaned out the pits in the stock and filled and finished them with real wood filler. I mixed stain to match the stock. I used steel wool over the stock to get a smooth surface without damaging the originality of it. Finally I put on several coats of Formby's Tung oil. Unfortunately I used the high gloss which looks very good except, for the purist, it looks refinished.

In any event, I am proud of this rifle and especially like the way it shoots. The 7.62X54R is a really powerful round equivalent to the 30 06. I have a Garand which for shooting I like only marginally better because of the lesser recoil I attribute to the heaver overall weight of the Garand.

http://www.mosinguy.com/svt-40_click.htm

PS - If anybody comes across a rear sling swivel for the SVT I would appreciate the information...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Last edited by james@mosinguy.com; 02-22-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: To add link to original photo locations and correct date of manufacture from 1941 incorrect to 1940 correct.

Good looking rifle. Finn capture?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes indeed that is a fine piece. You are a lucky fella to own it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group and thanks for sharing that beautiful rifle with us!

Wow that is one damn good looking piece of military hardware.
    I also very much agree with you on the Tula factory,
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I couldn't say whether it was Finn capture or not... all I know is that it doesn't have a Fed import stamp. It was in an auction that featured primarily German WWII firearms and paraphernalia. It could have been a German capture.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

It's beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing.
    видеодон

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Very nice James and welcome to the board. A Finn capture rifle should have a stamp some place on the receiver or barrel consisting of the letters SA inside a box.

If you go to the site linked below there is a photo of the mark, 22nd photo down on the left.

http://mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Very nice James and welcome to the board. A Finn capture rifle should have a stamp some place on the receiver or barrel consisting of the letters SA inside a box.

If you go to the site linked below there is a photo of the mark, 22nd photo down on the left.

http://mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp

Richard,

Thanks for the information. I have several Mosins none of which have the stamp. I did not know this would apply to the SVT. Mine does not have that stamp anywhere on it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I just came across this thread. That is a beautiful Russian rifle, James. I occasionly see them @ gun shows, they are always very $$$ these days.