Thread: KCR Machinegun report

KCR Machinegun report

Picked some neat stuff, a norinco M14 for $500, some of those glock Korean 33 rd mags ($15), an AK receiver cover for $5, UZI 25 rd mags new for $12 (German), UZI 25 rd mag bodies $3 (for converting my 32rd mags to Ohio legal less then 30rd cap). Korean M14 10rd mags for $10 amongst some other small buys. It was the first show in a long time that I went by myself and just walked around, that was kind of nice in itself (not having to time my pace to others or having to meet up at specific times). I don't think the M14 was even fired since it's full of packing grease, I'm not sure about the korean mags but for the price I figured I might as well try them.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wow. Sounds like you made some pretty good scores all around.

A pic of the Norinco would be nice....

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Wow. Sounds like you made some pretty good scores all around.

A pic of the Norinco would be nice....
    Can't really do pics till I get home but it's just a stock Norinco with the neutered front end, the guy gave me a solid (poly tech type) flash hider he had hoped to install, I tried changing it out with the meager tools I have with me but all I was manging to was buggering up the castle nut so I stopped till I get home to the proper tools (I got another castle nut just in case though). They sure are ugly without a flash hider...

You might have to get the Norinco's receiver heat treated. The old ones are notorious for soft metal. The upside though, is that you have the last of the milled in your hands right now! That alone would be worth it to me to get the extra work done on it. You wouldn't want that thing shooting itself loose now would you?

I think it's the bolts people have trouble with the receivers are forged and from everything I've hear pretty good. Even then the whole unsafe Chinese M14 debate continues on the net with some like Fulton saying they need $700 in upgrades to be safe (of which they will gladly do for $700) to others who point there's been no documented Chinese catastrophic failure ever (while pointing out the once year or so fail of Springfield guns).

From what I hear it's best to have the bolt rockwell tested, I believe they should be between 42 and 50 (will have to look this up) and watch headspace, if it goes long you get a USGI bolt and lap it to your receiver. We have a rockwell tester at work so I can do that although I might just do the USGI bolt fix and be done with it. A USGI bolt, US stock and mags would allow me to run a USGI flashhider as well which is really the look I'm going for anyway. I find the Chinese stock thick compared to the US stocks I'm use to.

I'd send the M14 off to be reworked. A few hundred bucks and you'd have a top of the line gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I think it's the bolts people have trouble with the receivers are forged and from everything I've hear pretty good. Even then the whole unsafe Chinese M14 debate continues on the net with some like Fulton saying they need $700 in upgrades to be safe (of which they will gladly do for $700) to others who point there's been no documented Chinese catastrophic failure ever (while pointing out the once year or so fail of Springfield guns).

From what I hear it's best to have the bolt rockwell tested, I believe they should be between 42 and 50 (will have to look this up) and watch headspace, if it goes long you get a USGI bolt and lap it to your receiver. We have a rockwell tester at work so I can do that although I might just do the USGI bolt fix and be done with it. A USGI bolt, US stock and mags would allow me to run a USGI flashhider as well which is really the look I'm going for anyway. I find the Chinese stock thick compared to the US stocks I'm use to.
    Nice. I'm more than a little jealous!

On the flash supressor and castle nut there is a little set screw you need to take out first before you can losen the castle nut. If I remember right it takes a small alen wrench to get that out. They make castle nut pliers to take the actual castle nut off after that. You can probably do it with out the special pliers though I would bet.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..