Thread: My SAR-1 PM md. 90 Clone.

My SAR-1 PM md. 90 Clone.

I asked a few questions on these boards that helped me out, so I figured I'd share a couple pics of the almost-finished product!

dHFwA9a.jpg

yfU5QWu.jpg

Just gotta complete the refinishing of the lower HG (couple more coats of shellac, buffing, waxing).
    Last edited by imanaknut; 03-21-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: hope you don't mind me blowing up photos of your really nice Romy

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That looks really nice!!!

I always and still like the SAR-1 as it was the perfect "canvas" to paint your special one of a kind AKM, and the fact that it was a true AKM just made and still makes them really nice both as delivered and in full md.90 clone!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Nice looking rifle. I don't know much about AKs and have never seen a folder like that, at least that I can remember. Is that special or am I showing my ignorance?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Thank you Imanaknut! I agree, I love the SAR platform. I really lucked out because when I purchased mine 14 or so years ago, I had no idea about anything haha. Now, I've finally gotten it to where I've always wanted it to be, thanks to all the help I received.

ltorlo64, that is the standard Romanian Military push button side folding stock. The rifle is set up exactly like their PM md. 90. Slant brake, donkey dong, side folder.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekRI View Post
    Thank you Imanaknut! I agree, I love the SAR platform. I really lucked out because when I purchased mine 14 or so years ago, I had no idea about anything haha. Now, I've finally gotten it to where I've always wanted it to be, thanks to all the help I received.

ltorlo64, that is the standard Romanian Military push button side folding stock. The rifle is set up exactly like their PM md. 90. Slant brake, donkey dong, side folder.
    Showing my ignorance, then! Thanks for being nice in the response.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Oh, no problem at all! Believe me, I'm far from being any kind of expert. I've got plenty left to learn!

One more pic, just for fun. FULL ASSAULT MODE ENGAGE!! PSO-1 with IR detector, E. German Type I transitional Bayo (I've got a proper Romy on the way), and Romy 75 round drum (which is not seated properly in this shot, oops!).

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Oh, no problem at all! Believe me, I'm far from being any kind of expert. I've got plenty left to learn!

One more pic, just for fun. FULL ASSAULT MODE ENGAGE!! PSO-1 with IR detector, E. German Type I transitional Bayo (I've got a proper Romy on the way), and Romy 75 round drum (which is not seated properly in this shot, oops!).

This photo right here would literally make Diane Feinstein's head explode.

Very nice SAR & nice pics, too.

When you said "full assault mode" I was afraid we were going to see a Printerman special with 15 rails, all loaded with everything including the kitchen sink! Luckily that was not the case!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice looking SAR-1. So you got it about 2001 then if you've had it for 14 years. They were some solid rifles, wish they'd still bring those in instead of the WASR rifles.

@mrkalashnikov hahahaha, very true!

@ltorlo64 No way, not with this one anyway! I would trick out a more modern ak-74 with some (key word, SOME) tactical accessories, but not this. I wanted this to be as true to era correct as I could get it.

@Schuetzenman Yes, it's a 2000 model, and I got it either late 2000 or early 2001. I just knew I wanted "an AK" and the SAR-1 was very affordable back then. My first firearm purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    This photo right here would literally make Diane Feinstein's head explode.
    http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ex.cfm/contact

Nice, I wish I still had mine got it about the same time
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Wanted to post some updates pics of the rifle all finished up! I applied matte black DuraBake finish over the fresh grey parkerizing, and I wrapped the stock with OD green paracord using a cobra weave. I think I'm in love!

Album with descriptions here!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very nice!

I may have to return my SAR-1 to that configuration.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Thanks!

Yeah, I had mine in original configuration for a looong time. I was one of those people that always thought the wire stock and donkey dong looked... weird... but over time, it really grew on me. Now that I've got it set up like this, I *really* like the way the front grip feels when aiming the rifle (have yet to shoot it in this configuration though), and the wire stock really isn't uncomfortable on the shoulder.

Here is mine. I have the folder and the dong in a box somewhere that I could put back on. The Romanian Red grip stays on it now.

It does have a phantom flash hider and small rail segment on the gas tube for a light, so its not totally old school.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Nice! I was wondering what that clamp was on your gas block. I see you've got a polished bolt carrier in there. The next step for mine is polishing the G2 trigger, and all contact points for the bolt carrier, although I will keep the rest of it black. I want an action that's as smooth as butter!

Yeah, I polished the bolt carrier back in 2003 when I didn't care about the history of Eastern Europe.

Now I want original variants from every East European factory during every era of communism.

That would be an amazing collection!

That would be an amazing collection!
    Yes it would!

Unfortunately, it only exists in my dreams.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Very nice SAR, Funky. My 2001 is identical to yours though I currently don't have any optics mounted on it. Funny, I ended up de-bluing & polishing my carrier too, & replacing the black pistol grip w/ the correct Romy purple bakelite one. I also have some Russian 7.62x39 red bakelite mags I use with it, I think they look pretty sweet in that rifle.