Thread: Beretta Neos U22

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Beretta Neos U22

Just got one the other day. I was surprised at the size of it. It looks a lot smaller in the photos I've seen. This one is larger than a Ruger MK I and heavier. It reminds me of the Browning Buckmark with the way the slide works.

ju2s60b.jpg

I, always, thought it looked goofy in the photos, but, in real life, it's not that bad. It fits the hand rather well....just a little front heavy for a .22.

I haven't shot it yet, but plan on running it through its paces the weekend after Easter.

Does anyone else have any experience with these pistols?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

First off congrats on the new rimfire. I looked at those a couple years ago but ended up choosing the Buckmark. I couldn't get warmed up to the Buck Rogers form factor. From all accounts they function reliably and owners seem to like them. Looking forward to your impressions.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As a Beretta nut as well as AK-nut I had to fix the spelling of the family name in your title.

I bought a Neos with 6 inch barrel when they first came out and immediately installed an inexpensive red dot on it. CDNN had their mags for $10 each which was half what everyone else had them, so I bought a ton. First time I took it to the range, my daughter started shooting it, and I just handed her mag after mag, reloading the ones she brought back to me. Before I knew it I reached the last 10 rounds in the 500 round brick! I hadn't even fired it yet! To say she enjoyed it is an understatement. At least she let me finish the brick!

I lost track after firing over 10,000 rounds through it. The only issue I had was finding that due to the design of the firing pin, it is possible to build up a carbon ring inside the slide at the front where the firing pin protrudes. Over time it can build up enough to cause light strikes. Easy to clean once you know about it, but I did buy a second Neos to install in the carbine kit from someone who didn't know about that, couldn't figure out why his pistol wouldn't shoot, and sold it for a song.

Word of warning, when the slide is off, keep your fingers and everything else away from the trigger. Not only does that firing pin look like a missile on a launcher, if you touch the trigger it becomes a missile and is not the easiest to find!

A very fun to shoot pistol, both of mine are not ammo sensitive, and very accurate. That 16 carbine kit with a good scope is a proverbial tack driver!

Figured I would add a photo. The pistol is one of the original Deluxe versions with adjustable trigger and special markings. Current "deluxe" does not have the adjustments as far as I know.

The carbine also came with an ATF build directive so that the owner doesn't accidentally make a "short barrel rifle" during the conversion from pistol to carbine or back. Accidentally having the pistol barrel on the carbine stock, even for a split second will instantly result in 10 black Blazers on your front lawn, 4 black helicopters over head, and big guys in black suits coming through every window and door in your house. Second amendment my $#%

aknut, thanks for the info. It sounds like Beretta made a pretty good pistol with this model.

I looked at that carbine kit, but it was rather expensive. May have to look at that again when I get a little more spending money.

Glad to know about the firing pin. I'll be super careful with it if it ever gums up.

The seller threw in a Tasco PROpoint PDP3 red dot sight. Not sure I can get used to that, but I'll give it a try.

I'll let you all know how I made out with it when I take it out and run it through its paces.

Now, I have to find a holster for it.

Thanks again.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I bought a 6" target a few years ago ... I'd been looking for a Colt Cadet 22 target for a couple years and had given up (of course I found one within a week or 2 of buying the NEOS) funny thing is the mags from the NEOS will fit the Colt but the Colt mags won't fit the NEOS ... the ledge at the front of the floor plate is different.

I didn't care for the heavy-gritty trigger but other than that it was fine. Then it started to jam on the last round, the bullet would just hit the feed ramp at an odd angle and deform the bullet nose ... still does it and only on the last round. If I hadn't found the Colt I'd have done something about it ... after that I thought I'd use it to trade but so far its just sitting in the safe.

Forgot to update this after I shot it.

It functioned great and was very accurate. Needless to say, it was a blast to shoot.

Planning on taking it out again one of these weekends now that the hunters have all stopped hunting.

Freedom isn't free.

Thanks for the update. They might be strange looking things but they are very accurate and a ton of fun.

The first NEOS I bought had a horrible trigger and after 2 bricks of 550, it still sucked so I traded it off for something, I have no idea what.

We had a local fun show 3 weeks ago today and I came across another one and it had a nice trigger which was the only thing I didn’t like about the first one. I put an inexpensive red-dot on it and although it was only about 40 degrees out (which would be a heat wave now!) I took it and my Colt 22 Target to the range. Shooting some CCI standard velocity 40 grain target ammo I was pretty happy with it, I shot it better than I expected and I did better with it did better than my Colt. The only problem now is I only have 2 mags for it.

The obligatory picture with my Colt ..

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    The first NEOS I bought had a horrible trigger and after 2 bricks of 550, it still sucked so I traded it off for something, I have no idea what.

We had a local fun show 3 weeks ago today and I came across another one and it had a nice trigger which was the only thing I didn’t like about the first one. I put an inexpensive red-dot on it and although it was only about 40 degrees out (which would be a heat wave now!) I took it and my Colt 22 Target to the range. Shooting some CCI standard velocity 40 grain target ammo I was pretty happy with it, I shot it better than I expected and I did better with it did better than my Colt. The only problem now is I only have 2 mags for it.

The obligatory picture with my Colt ..
    They sell them on eBay for around $22 on up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28399671475...Bk9SR4T-sa-pYQ

Freedom isn't free.

Nice purchase! The two dots above and below the "O" in NEOS originally indicate it as the deluxe model and should have trigger adjustment screws. As I said earlier, the newer deluxe didn't have the adjustments, just the different grip panels. Later Beretta started selling the grips by themselves to allow the owner to make a sort-of-custom pistol.