Thread: Grabbed a type 56 this morning.

Grabbed a type 56 this morning.

Soo, some people would probably say I made a bad trade this morning but oh well. I traded my Bulgarian 74 with no ammo for a type 56 and 350 rounds. I put the internal 10 round mag back in and I'm giving my dad the 4 30 round mags the guy gave me with the gun. I have no use for 30 round mags, one reason I decided to get away from the AK. Also no stores sell 5.45 near me and I'm not a fan of having to order all of my ammo online. I just felt that with ammo and I'm not really into collecting a bunch of guns the SKS would make more sense for me for a all purpose SHTF rifle than the 74 did.

Oh and I'd like to pop a scope on it. What's the best way of going about that on a SKS?
    Last edited by Escobert; 04-04-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."
    - Article 16 Vermont Constitution

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not sure about any of the other questions, but if you want to mount a scope on your SKS, this is, probably, the easiest and best way to mount one.

I'm just showing you what I'm talking about, not where to buy it. From the article, they aren't expensive at all and if you decide to put it back to original, just pop this cover off and put the original one back on.

414PrhCQCVL._SY355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-SKS-Mou...receiver+mount
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Yeah, I think my dad uses a dust cover mount. I've always heard it's a no no on AKs so I just figured the same with SKS.
    I like this mount http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Acce...R-SKS-SSM.html but it says for non-Norinco type 56 and not sure if that's mine or not. I'd like something that I can easily use stripper clips with.

Thanks!

Now I'm spending my free time practicing loading in stripper clips! this is fun

Oh and another question, is it legal/possible to attach a muzzle break of some sort on to it? and in doing so will it actually serve it's function?
    Last edited by Escobert; 04-04-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

You traded a Bulgy AK74 for an SKS?????!!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!?????? Why can't I be fortunate enough to know people like you!?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Not much point in owning a gun that you can't buy ammo for locally in my opinion. Like I said, some (most) would say I got the lesser end of the deal. But, I'm happy. I got the gun I wanted in the first place and some ammo. I should note too, this is all matching numbers, great condition and from a very extensive investigation on several parts and numbers all over the gun, I believe it's a 1966 Factory 26 Type 56 SKS.
    Last edited by Escobert; 04-04-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Escobert View Post
    Not much point in owning a gun that you can't buy ammo for locally in my opinion.
    Why?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Why?
    Because I can pick up boxes here and there of 7.62. I can't do that with 5.45. I almost never have money to buy larger quantities of ammo. I loved the idea of the 74 when I got it. Still love shooting the 5.45. I just know I wont be stocking thousands of rounds of it and my real purpose of owing a rifle is SHTF and a gun with not many rounds isn't worth much in SHTF. Also, since I don't own many (or any other) rifles I thought the 7.62 would be more versatile and useful in survival situations that the 5.45 for hunting and such.

Also is going to cost me about 1/3 of the price to get optics on this. Again, I know 90+% wouldn't agree with my trade. But, I never really intended on getting a 74 in the first place. It was a good deal while I couldn't find any SKS's for a decent price.

mounting optics on the SKS sucks. Most just use a receiver cover mount which won't hold zero. The receiver cover doesn't fit tight on the receiver. I believe there are some other scout type options that use the rear sight base with a long eye relief scope not but AFAIK your options are limited and not that good. Also a scope over the receiver sucks for loading from stripper clips and the way an SKS ejects is straight up into the scope. They make cheezy little shell deflectors to bounce the cases away from the scope. I'd shoot it with irons if I were you.

Because I can pick up boxes here and there of 7.62. I can't do that with 5.45. I almost never have money to buy larger quantities of ammo. I loved the idea of the 74 when I got it. Still love shooting the 5.45. I just know I wont be stocking thousands of rounds of it and my real purpose of owing a rifle is SHTF and a gun with not many rounds isn't worth much in SHTF. Also, since I don't own many (or any other) rifles I thought the 7.62 would be more versatile and useful in survival situations that the 5.45 for hunting and such.

Also is going to cost me about 1/3 of the price to get optics on this. Again, I know 90+% wouldn't agree with my trade. But, I never really intended on getting a 74 in the first place. It was a good deal while I couldn't find any SKS's for a decent price.
    What sort of situation would call for the use of thousands of rounds, but not 30 round magazines, of which you said you had no use?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

a situation where I need to hunt for me food for several years and don't want/need to be carrying around 30 round magazines that don't fit well in my pockets like stripper clips do. I live in dense wooded mountains often with deep snow. the less weight and crap I need to carry the better. Also, I'd rather use 7.62 for hunting than 5.45. I know people wont agree with my decision, I wasn't looking for people to. I'm happy with what I now have and I wasn't happy with what I did have.

a situation where I need to hunt for me food for several years and don't want/need to be carrying around 30 round magazines that don't fit well in my pockets like stripper clips do. I live in dense wooded mountains often with deep snow. the less weight and crap I need to carry the better. Also, I'd rather use 7.62 for hunting than 5.45. I know people wont agree with my decision, I wasn't looking for people to. I'm happy with what I now have and I wasn't happy with what I did have.
    You shouldn't need thousands of rounds for that.

A Ruger 10/22 and an American Rifle in .308 may have been better options. The .308 would scope easier and .22 could be used on small game, plus they both weigh less than a SKS.

I have experience with neither and two rifles cost more than a single SKS. You aren't going to sway my thinking and the trade is done and over with so no going back now . Yes, I did think about asking him for some cash too but, I wanted to just do it and get it done with and move on so I didn't.

EDIT: have you looked for .22 ammo? I'd probably have better luck finding 5.45
    Last edited by Escobert; 04-05-2015 at 03:35 PM.

And both cost considerably more and I have experience with neither. You aren't going to sway my thinking and the trade is done and over with so no going back now. Yes, I did think about asking him for some cash too but, I wanted to just do it and get it done with and move on so I didn't.
    I'm simply trying ascertain the foundation of your thought process, not change it in any way.

If I were going to take one of my 7.62 rifles hunting, it would be an AK and not an SKS. This is because the AK is way easier to scope and we're allowed to hunt with any capacity we want in SC. Go watch the movie Deliverance if you don't know why you'd want to carry a 30 rounder while hunting down here.

BTW, keep in mind that scoping your SKS may interfere with your ability to use stripper clips if the bell of the scope covers the ejection port at all.

You may want to go with a red dot or a long eye relief scope mounted onto the the rear sight block or onto the gas tube by replacing the upper handguard with a rail.

Not to mention the fact that top cover style scope mounts are often known to have an inability to maintain zero.

(EDIT: looks like NAPOTS covered this stuff already.)

Yeah we're limited in mag capacity for hunting. The more and more reading I do the less and less likely it's looking like I'll be adding any optics to it. Although, whatever dust cover mount my dad uses seems to work well. He swears it holds zero, he did take a 6 pointer with it.