Thread: MAGPUL AK furniture - First review!

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

MAGPUL AK furniture - First review!

Here is a good first review on this.
    https://www.full30.com/video/18dc2b5...e5481b54b36482
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I like the stock, not only fold but can telescope to change length. But like him I'm wondering how strong it is.

I picked one up for a DIY AMD-65 pistol I was converting into a rifle with the original barrel ... had a machinist make custom barrel extension for me and added the required 922r parts.

I like it except the stock is a bit tight when you extend it ... it seems as strong (maybe stronger) than the typical wood stock. I originally had a rail over the top cover but couldn't zero it with anything so I picked up a Texas Weapons Systems top cover that replaces the rear sight and when used with their locking tab is a very stable top cover.

This barrel is too short to use Magpuls full length lower hand guard so I'm thinking of returning this to the pistol configuration then moving the stock to another AMD-65 that has a 16" barrel and picking up the full length hand guard ... this furniture set is also compatible with the Ultimak gas tube ... not sure what I'll do with the custom $120 barrel extension though ... maybe put it on the CZ 805 Bren and add a stock to it that!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 12-05-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm seriously thinking of putting the magpul stuff on my SAR-1 and Draco and modernizing those guns to the point that I could keep one of those with me away from the compound instead of my squared away M4 all the time.

The AK operator's union treated the zhukov stock pretty rough, and determined that it is only vulnerable while in the folded position.

Only thing I would change about the zhukov based on what I know about it, would be to make it as short as a CTR stock while in the collapsed position. I'm already not a tall man, so by the time I put on a backpack or anything else on, I really need a youth stock on most guns.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

whats on there? a black melted shuttlecock?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    whats on there? a black melted shuttlecock?
    Its a shortened version of the fake Krink suppressor ... the standard, unfinished version looks like this

I had a standard length one on my PAP M85 Pistol while waiting for my stamp ... this is a stock photo from gunbroker ... I'd taken some of mine but don't know where they are!

*** the more often I look at pictures of the black melted shuttlecock, the more I tell myself I either need to make a new receiver for it or put it back to pistol config
    Last edited by kimberkid; 12-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.