Thread: Shotgun suggestion please

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Shotgun suggestion please

I sold off a pile of my fudd guns and have around $1600 to spend on a new shotgun for this hunting season. I am looking at the Benelli Vinci, the new Browning A5, the Breda Grizzly and the Remington Versa Max V3, the Beretta A300 and the Franchi Affinity. I like all of them. Its down to peoples personal experiences now. Does anyone here own any of these or know someone that does? I want to get one and stick to it. I have lightened the load in the room here to a manageable size. I can move around without causing a bunch of crap to fall over lol. So with this task in mind Which way would you go and Why?

The Franchi Affinity gives me a bit left over to put towards a new hunting rifle. The rest are all around the same $1500 price point.

Adam
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Naw I can't help ya but didn't Elmer Fudd carry a shotgun?
    All hunting firearms are Fudd guns. Making the AR and the AK Fudd guns.
    Just saying.
    Sounds as if your going hunt birds. But you might want to have the option
    of changing bbl.'s for Deer. Something to think about.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

bobski
    what you will do with it determines my answer. enlighten us.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Those shotguns are way out of my league. I'm into collecting Stevens type double barrels. I have a LeFever double and dad left me some sort of Italian (I think) over-under 28 ga. that I haven't shot yet (try finding those shells around here....) and a bunch of single shot .410's.

My favorite hunting shotgun is a CVA Trapper 12 ga. I've killed more rabbits than I can count with that gun. That one is my favorite...it points naturally and delivers one hell of a load on target. IIRC, I got 9 rabbits with it on one hunt. The grand total for the five of us hunting, that day, was 32 rabbits.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    what you will do with it determines my answer. enlighten us.
    I will be hunting ducks, pheasants and doves in corn field.

oh yea and thousands of pigeons and Crows all year round
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-16-2015 at 09:54 AM.

bobski
    id buy the chepest one of the list...and one you wont mind dropping, scratching, getting wet, muddy, lean up against a tree, or backing over forgetting you leaned it against your truck.

well spent the day talking about it to some of my buddies and decided on the Benelli super black eagle II

I cleared out the bulk of my collection. I ran out of space. Sold off my winchester 94's, most of my milsurps and some Remington shotguns. I had a pocket full of cash. Want just one good shotgun, one good rifle and a good pistol. Got the pistol and the shotgun covered now. over the next few months i will find a good rifle.

I know you guys would cringe on clearing out your collection but i grew tired of it and wasn't really wanting them anymore. I got fair market value for everything i sold so far.

bobski
    you kidding? i proud of you. comes a time in a mans life where you gotta ask yourelf why in blazes you got so many guns?
    i did that in 2010 and traded most of mine off to a guy who hadnt learned that yet and bought his 43 acre farm with them.
    good trade.
    if youre anywhere southern mo, come on by with your new gun and shoot it. be my guest.

you kidding? i proud of you. comes a time in a mans life where you gotta ask yourelf why in blazes you got so many guns?
    i did that in 2010 and traded most of mine off to a guy who hadnt learned that yet and bought his 43 acre farm with them.
    good trade.
    if youre anywhere southern mo, come on by with your new gun and shoot it. be my guest.
    I really appreciate the offer. I would love to come visit but i am in Canada. I live in Nova Scotia. Would love to see pictures of that open space though.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Sold off my winchester 94's, most of my milsurps and some Remington shotguns. I had a pocket full of cash.
    Just out of curiosity, I assume that you got MORE than $1600 and just set aside $1600 for the new toy, because based on a simple estimation based on what you listed (in generalities) to sell that many guns, you should get WAY MORE than $1600!

I know you guys would cringe on clearing out your collection but i grew tired of it and wasn't really wanting them anymore. I got fair market value for everything i sold so far.
    I would NEVER clear out my collection! I'd rather die first. LOL. But then I'm a self admitted hardcore Firearms enthusiast.
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 05-16-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Yes I got more from the sales. I am just taking my time deciding on a rifle. I still have my remington 700 Which may end up being the one hunting rifle and my garand, m1 carbine, us m1917 were never on the table. I should have worded differently in the original post. I just sold off the stuff that didn't interest me and duplicates. As well part of the money went into building materials for house renos.

I was truly in the mood to bring it down to one rifle, one shotgun and one pistol originally. But then thought better of it for now.
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-17-2015 at 05:17 AM.

bobski
    here ya go. go see the farm.
    www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com
    enjoy.

Well in Canada they had a fondness for the SHR-970. I would look into that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    Well in Canada they had a fondness for the SHR-970. I would look into that rifle.
    I like that rifle a lot but can't seem to locate one new. The BAR long track stalker in 30-06 is high on my probability list.

I can't wait till duck season...

bobski
    so tell us. what is it? was this your choice?

so tell us. what is it? was this your choice?
    Yep. The Benelli Super black eagle 2

light as a feather and slick operation. I love it.

bobski
    enjoy!