Thread: Getting into the 10mm game

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Getting into the 10mm game

I want a 10mm, the big question is which one?

G20 - I like the double stack, I have 3 other glocks G17, G26, G21 and am familiar with them, also like they have a subcompact 10mm. My concern is the light weight of the gun when it comes to full power 10mm rounds from the like of double tap and buffalo bore. I have read it is a good idea to put in a stiffer recoil spring as well.

Colt Delta Elite - all stainless, single stack, could be the last of them, iconic name, stainless steel and heavy to help with the recoil.

Sig P220 - Its a Sig, stainless construction, single stack, choice of DA/SA or SAO. They are new this year, but I trust sig to be competent

EAA Witness - its stainless, and double stack. Past that i don't have any experience with the company.

There is a chance this may work its way into my CCW rotation. Currently that is a Sig P226, Sig m11-a1, Sig P290rs, and a Glock G26.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I vote Glock for actual carry, and the Colt or Sig for the range.

I love CZ type handguns but have never warmed up to the Italian Witness guns. Something about them always screamed "ghetto" to me.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

do you know if a G29 will fit in a G26 holster?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    do you know if a G29 will fit in a G26 holster?
    No, but I do know that Glock 10mm guns are built on the same basic frame as the .45 models and are therefore larger than guns built on the 9mm frame.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    No, but I do know that Glock 10mm guns are built on the same basic frame as the .45 models and are therefore larger than guns built on the 9mm frame.
    Yep.

To the question from Hated ... I say Glock. You already have many of them. The Glock 20 will give you a consistency of operation for CCW carry pieces. The Colt Delta Elite ... given them maybe going out of business for good possibly a collector piece. The original Delta Elite pistols had issues with holding up to the pounding of the 10 mm round. I do not know if that was ever resolved.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Wait for the new Glock model 40 MOS to ship this summer - longslide 10mm with a factory red dot mount and 6" barrel. The large slide should help in the recoil department.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I've got the G29 and it's a pretty nice piece. I did swap the factory recoil spring, IIRC I upgraded it to a 22lb but will have to check to make sure. I did that because of issues I had read when shooting Double Tap ammo. It works great with DT 135, 165 and 180gr loads. I decided on the 165gr for CCW. Ran into some issues with the DT 135gr loads, see photo below. After a few mags I was looking at my spend cases and noticed they were cracking. On some forums I read about others having a Kaboom with the same ammo though they were running the factory recoil spring. I'm thinking the heavier spring may have prevented me from experiencing the same event. The higher rated spring may have kept the chamber closed a little longer so all I got was a cracked case and not a complete separation. I returned the ammo to DT and they sent me a new box of the 165gr as I requested. I'm not fired any more of their 135gr loads but this was 4-5 years ago so what ever the issue was, (they never told me what they found if anything) it may have been corrected.

My G29

Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-16-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Screw the colt deltard elite.

if you're gonna spend that type of $$$ get a dan wesson razorback.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I think I will go with glock, I will have to look at the G40. But I think I will start with the G20, test the waters then go to the G29 if the 10mm impresses me.

I like the idea of ccw with a G20, mainly on my bike with a shoulder holster for cross country trips, it covers any kind of problem, four legged or two. I will have a hard time swapping it for my m11(p229) or p226 which I have carried issued ones of for the last 4 years through two deployments, and have I don't know how much trigger time on.

I say g20.ive got a 3rd gen g20,and I could not be happier.as another poster said,also look at the g40 longslide.its my next gun to buy.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 351 View Post
    I say g20.ive got a 3rd gen g20,and I could not be happier.as another poster said,also look at the g40 longslide.its my next gun to buy.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I only have the G29 as far as 10mm Glocks go but as the owner of a G35 I have to say the G40 looks very interesting especially with that optic on it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

FWIW I've read that the G40 will start shipping late this month or possibly July. Since it's being considered as a hunting/target model the retail orders are expected to be available first with LEO/Blue Box availability coming later. Just what I read over at GT. Anyone know what the optic is on the photo scorpion posted? I've seen something similar on S&W M&P models and was wondering if Glock is offering it or is it strictly after market?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

probly an NC star.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I found this. Apparently Glock is offering this as a system where you can remove the portion of the slide that the optic installs on but they aren't selling the actual optic. You order it with a plate for what ever optic you want.

https://us.glock.com/mos
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Could be a Burris Fast Fire of some type.

You could do what I did. Initially I just got a used 10mm barrel on GunBroker. In your G21 they are interchangeable (not in the smaller Glocks). You will still need 10mm mags as the follower is different. Latter I found a used slide and created a separate 10mm to just hot swap as I desired all for less than $150. Much less than a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman View Post
    You could do what I did. Initially I just got a used 10mm barrel on GunBroker. In your G21 they are interchangeable (not in the smaller Glocks). You will still need 10mm mags as the follower is different. Latter I found a used slide and created a separate 10mm to just hot swap as I desired all for less than $150. Much less than a new gun.
    I did the same thing with my G35. Bought a conversion 9-40 barrel from Lone Wolf for under $100 and now I have a G35 and a G34. The 40cal mags worked fine with the 9x19 rounds but I added some G17 mags just in case as I had read that some guys had trouble feeding 9x19 out of their stock .40 cal mags. If I had a source for 9x19 followers I might have been able to just swap the followers in the mags when I swapped the barrels.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

G20 is a good choice. I have a 6'' 9 x 25 barrel, .40 S&W and a 6'' KKM match barrel and all work with the stock mags. The 9 x 25 is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm, pretty wicked velocities. My son bought me a green guide rod laser for the g20 ( rounds impact about 2'' low at 25 yds), pretty nice tool even though i think lasers are for folks who can't shoot worth a shit

I carry my 29 daily in a blackhawk serpa

I've got 3 delta elites,2 S&W 10 series,2 dan wessons, 2 eaa witness, and this:

so you could say i have drank the 10mm "koolaid"

And yes richard i still have fantasy's of finding a 610 like yours, but this one is a bit outside of my price range

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=489601579