Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought land

I bought land

About a month ago I bought land (22 acres) between Williams AZ and Flagstaff AZ. 360 degree views of mountains from the top of our ridge, Bill williams mountain range to the west and the San Fransisco peaks to the east as well as the snowbowl in Flagstaff. I have one neighbor in view.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    This is the site that I'm building our cabin. I'm renting a dozer in 2 months for a week to cut a road. I bought a Husqavarna chainsaw and I'm clearing a path of ponderossa and juniper 500' back off the gravel/dirt road.
    3.jpg

I got a boxer to warn us at night up there.

4.jpg

My wife sat on some boulders that crop our ridgeline and was there for 10 minutes before she seen this guy chilling. I really wanted to shoot him but found no good way to without ricochet, only had a .45 1911 and an AR with me at the time
    5.jpg
    My new used truck to haul my welder around with. I'm getting a 40' conex dropped off as soon as my road is cut.
    FBHO

Congrats to you!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sounds like fun! Congratulations!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Thats awesome. I have 14 acres here. I love it. I have put out numerous fruit and nut trees, berries, grapes, owl and bat houses, bird houses, martin gourds, etc.... I dig the landscape there.

Congrats to you!!!

I missed out on 2 lots, one for 150 acres and another for 33 that later turned into 55 acres.
    The larger one I couldn't find, it had a view of Mt Kataden and the other one the house was way too small and had no garage or barn.

I love your camp site. I have always wanted a canvas wall tent. I have a Cabelas ISQ tent now that is 10x14 that I got on a killer deal from their "cave".

Keep that puppy from those venomous bitey things.

BISHOP

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

That's awesome! A nice piece of the rock you have there. I dig the truck, too. Looks like you'll be having some fun on that land. Now you have to invest in a bunch of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/756...-plastic-black
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

How did the well test go for you? Done one yet?

There are several people that got stuck w camping only land in that area due to poor well locations. I hope you got lucky and can hit a good one.

Livin the dream!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    About a month ago I bought land (22 acres) between Williams AZ and Flagstaff AZ. 360 degree views of mountains from the top of our ridge, Bill williams mountain range to the west and the San Fransisco peaks to the east as well as the snowbowl in Flagstaff. I have one neighbor in view.

This is the site that I'm building our cabin. I'm renting a dozer in 2 months for a week to cut a road. I bought a Husqavarna chainsaw and I'm clearing a path of ponderossa and juniper 500' back off the gravel/dirt road.

I got a boxer to warn us at night up there.

My wife sat on some boulders that crop our ridgeline and was there for 10 minutes before she seen this guy chilling. I really wanted to shoot him but found no good way to without ricochet, only had a .45 1911 and an AR with me at the time

My new used truck to haul my welder around with. I'm getting a 40' conex dropped off as soon as my road is cut.
    Looks really nice! Congratulations.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post

There are several people that got stuck w camping only land in that area due to poor well locations. I hope you got lucky and can hit a good one.
    That was one of the issues we kept running into while looking. Some wells had to go 1500' before they "might" hit water.
    We kinda lucked out...
    The water table is 150 feet, I was quoted $125 a ft to drill. I'm building the cabin first, with a 3500 gallon water tank on site and to fill that is $65 delivered. I'm also doing a rain collection system that will feed some water and my wife is designing a grey water recycling system to water the greenhouse that she wants.
    When I get closer to retire then I will pay to have the well drilled. Maybe, depends on how well I can get myself to conserve.

The land was just surveyed, got a perc test done for septic and paid $9 for the permit to park the container. I might get a backhoe this month and dig a hole for the septic and drain field. My sons, wife and I are doing all the work.

I have 2 -2000watt solar panels that were cycled out of a power plant I was working at. They expired for their use but still have plenty of life yet. I'm getting the inverter once I figure out what kind of system I am sticking with as far as mixture of wind, generator, solar.

I have a few old shacks up there that probably date in the 50's one has an old but sturdy pot belly stove in it. I'm going to salvage that, clean it up and throw it in the cabin and we have heat.

chain.jpg
    Husqy Baby...!!!
    Last edited by chiak47; 06-28-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post

This is what I was thinking also.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Congrats to you!!!

I missed out on 2 lots, one for 150 acres and another for 33 that later turned into 55 acres.
    The larger one I couldn't find, it had a view of Mt Kataden and the other one the house was way too small and had no garage or barn.
    150 acres is a nice spread, every old person out there says they wish they bought more land when they were young. I got this for $30,000. Other land up there with no access to water goes for 1/3 of what I paid, without the view...
    I love your camp site. I have always wanted a canvas wall tent. I have a Cabelas ISQ tent now that is 10x14 that I got on a killer deal from their "cave".
    I got this one from an ebay listing, it's a used boyscout camp tent, they retail new for $500, I got this one in nice condition for $60. I have cots for it and a folding plastic "floor" My wife sewed on mosquito netting over the doors to keep the bees out. I use regular tent poles in the middle grommets for the support. The thing is heavy, but it's quality Made In The USA stuff.

Keep that puppy from those venomous bitey things.

BISHOP
    He belly flopped into a pear cactus, small yellow needles all over his under carriage. Spent 3 hours pulling them out while he whimpered. Been best friends since. My kids have a lizard and he is spooked by that so I'm hoping a snake will keep him alert as well.
    Last edited by chiak47; 06-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    FBHO

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

150' sure beats 1500' with a maybe attached.

Congrats on the purchase. How far from the ravening hoards are you?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Thats awesome. I have 14 acres here. I love it. I have put out numerous fruit and nut trees, berries, grapes, owl and bat houses, bird houses, martin gourds, etc.... I dig the landscape there.

My wife and I are trying to teach ourselves everything there is to know about the area we bought in and what thrives as far as vegetation. We are hoping that we can be self sustained within 5 years. My wife wants bees, goats and a greenhouse and our short term plan is to move from Phoenix to Flagstaff or Williams so we can build anytime we want, I hate Phoenix as far as the crime and degenerate people go, I am a country boy redneck. Too many cars pounding bass around here for me.
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    150' sure beats 1500' with a maybe attached.

Congrats on the purchase. How far from the ravening hoards are you?
    DAYS...LMAO through some of the nastiest desert in the world...!!!! I'm 1/2hr from the Colorado river, 1hr from the Grand Canyon. I'm really trying to get a boilermaker job in the park.
    FBHO

DAYS...LMAO through some of the nastiest desert in the world...!!!! I'm 1/2hr from the Colorado river, 1hr from the Grand Canyon. I'm really trying to get a boilermaker job in the park.
    Cool, one day that distance will matter.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Cool, one day that distance will matter.
    Days on foot, hours in a car but through some hostile to them patriot communities that are far off the beaten path, hell my site won't be seen from any road and everyone out by me flys a confederate or Gadsden flag and the road names around me are Whisky Court Rd, Hangmans Noose Rd and Patriot Rd.

Speaking of Rd names, The road I am going to cut is through an easement and according to the county I get to name the road. We aren't quite sure yet what to name it.
    FBHO

Days on foot, hours in a car but through some hostile to them patriot communities that are far off the beaten path, hell my site won't be seen from any road and everyone out by me flys a confederate or Gadsden flag and the road names around me are Whisky Court Rd, Hangmans Noose Rd and Patriot Rd.

Speaking of Rd names, The road I am going to cut is through an easement and according to the county I get to name the road. We aren't quite sure yet what to name it.
    One idea....

Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    That's awesome! A nice piece of the rock you have there. I dig the truck, too. Looks like you'll be having some fun on that land. Now you have to invest in a bunch of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/756...-plastic-black

That's the cats ass right there.

I want to build some sort of underground cellar for food and ammo storage, nothing big, just enough for a few shelves without hitting my head and easy to conceal from the outside.
    FBHO

I need a way to get stumps out of the ground without the need to rent a stump grinder.

I also want to build a smoke house cause we have Elk out there, Javalina, deer and Jack rabbit.

Elk.jpg
    This was taken about 500' from my property, we passed her on the dirt road and she did not move, seen her out the corner of my eyes, stopped backed up and got out just to snap this pic.

Jack.jpg

My wife pointed out a jackrabbit, I pulled out my .45, missed the first shot he darted and 3 shots later I got him in the neck. 15-20yards, pure luck. Kids were amazed, wife was amazed and so was I...lol

My boys and I skinned him, checked him for parasites real good, determined he was clean and fried him up with a well seasoned cast iron pan and ate him. Good stuff.

There is a pack of Javalina running around, I caught a glimpse of them but didn't have a camera. There are also wild mustangs in the area but all I have seen of them are tracks.
    FBHO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast