Thread: That "gamey" flavor...

That "gamey" flavor...

Hey guys.

So I'm slowly working through my first wild pig, (The first one I bagged myself anyways) and some of the meat, especially the darker portions has a bit of that "wild taste" to it.

It's not bad with a little spices, but I'm sort of shooting in the dark here. Sometimes I get good results. Sometimes I'd think I was eating liver if it weren't for the texture.

So what are good flavors to compliment the wild game taste? I'm thinking garlic, mushrooms, and fish sauce, could all go good, I just don't know what to do with them per say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Hey guys.

So I'm slowly working through my first wild pig, (The first one I bagged myself anyways) and some of the meat, especially the darker portions has a bit of that "wild taste" to it.

It's not bad with a little spices, but I'm sort of shooting in the dark here. Sometimes I get good results. Sometimes I'd think I was eating liver if it weren't for the texture.

So what are good flavors to compliment the wild game taste? I'm thinking garlic, mushrooms, and fish sauce, could all go good, I just don't know what to do with them per say.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Have you tried soaking overnight before cooking in either salted water or milk?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Nope. Will do!

Yup.
    Works for squirrel, and even rattlesnake...

Doc, I think you'll find it helps and it really can't hurt anything. Doesn't fix duck quite well enough, only the smoker makes those edible IMO.
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Brine solutions fix all manner of off taste.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Milk is always good

Try the Ice/lemon juice/ vinegar soak suggested here, it really works! http://www.texasboars.com/articles/recipes.html

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Marinate overnight in milk.

Trim all excess fat. Fat is probably the greatest contributor to gamy flavor.

Use tomato sauce when possible. ( Cacciatore, stew, etc. )

Use as much spice as you can without overdoing it.

Smoking is always a good way to prepare game.

Make sausage with wild boar and add sage. I also grind apples in with mine.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Beer and lots of it.

You, not the pork

Seriously, a lot of guys just grind the gamier hogs into sausage which of course is highly spiced.

But the marinating will help. So does smoking - the hog, not you
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Wouldn't it make the meat unkosher if you cooked it in milk? (OK, I know pork's not Kosher to begin with, that's part of the humor of it all ...)
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Here is a clue when dressing a pig DO NOT just field dress by BUSTING the URINE BAG. This is what gives 70% of most game the wild taste.

When dressing ANY animal, I surgically take out the urine bag and place in a plastic bag inside the animal.

Urine tend to change the meat fast and rapidly as it will pentrate most muscle tissue and taint the meat quickly.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    Here is a clue when dressing a pig DO NOT just field dress by BUSTING the URINE BAG. This is what gives 70% of most game the wild taste.

When dressing ANY animal, I surgically take out the urine bag and place in a plastic bag inside the animal.

Urine tend to change the meat fast and rapidly as it will pentrate most muscle tissue and taint the meat quickly.
    Oh yeah, you rupture the bladder and you're fooked. It's always best to take a little time and be careful when field dressing any game animal. It's just common sense, who want's any food item soaked in piss? Of course this can be harder than it sounds when it's cold and windy out, and your hands are cold and wet.
    Returns June 3rd.

smoking slow like boston butt gives great results

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Soak overnight in pineapple or tomato juice.