Thread: What do you use to remove lead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you use to remove lead

My buddy came over with a new rifled slug barrel shotgun that he bought for his son's birthday..

He shot 19 rounds through the gun but because the slugs weren't the right kind he caked the rifling pretty bad.

I used Butch's Bore Shine, steel wool, brass brushes and mops driven with my hand drill to get it out but it took about three hours steady work.... Just wondering what products and tools you guys use to remove lead from barrels? thanks.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

OK, here's what you do. Go to the grocery store - to the cleaning section and look for the "chore boy" scrub pads - select the copper ones.

Cut strands of this off of the pad and wind them around a bore brush - a nylon brush is probably the best but a bronze will do too I guess - just wind a bunch around it so that it's a tight fit in the bore and push that baby back and forth through the barrel.

It will sweep that lead right out - and because it's copper, it won't harm the bore.

You might want to put a patch soaked with kroil through the barrel first and let it sit while you put your brush together.

You may have to re-wind the brush a couple of times if you have a lot of lead.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Apostle View Post
    ......driven with my hand drill ......
    NOT this!!

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

You never want to use any type of steel to clean your bore out. I will wear it out the rifling prematurely. Copper or brass is fine.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Last edited by abpt1; 10-12-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: it works .

Thanks guys for the info and suggestions on what to buy, I'm going to pass it along to my buddy too.

The reason I went with steel wool is I thought I read an article that guys with lathes can use their steel cuttings to clean barrels, I even think I saw the cuttings advertised for around $5-$10 a bag.

I'll go to the copper pads and shooter choice lead remover, sounds like a more gun friendly approach. Thanks again.

romak10/63UF
    sweet 7.62 solvent its stinky as hell !