Thread: What do you use to remove lead

What do you use to remove lead

My buddy came over with a new rifled slug barrel shotgun that he bought for his son's birthday..

He shot 19 rounds through the gun but because the slugs weren't the right kind he caked the rifling pretty bad.

I used Butch's Bore Shine, steel wool, brass brushes and mops driven with my hand drill to get it out but it took about three hours steady work.... Just wondering what products and tools you guys use to remove lead from barrels? thanks.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

OK, here's what you do. Go to the grocery store - to the cleaning section and look for the "chore boy" scrub pads - select the copper ones.

Cut strands of this off of the pad and wind them around a bore brush - a nylon brush is probably the best but a bronze will do too I guess - just wind a bunch around it so that it's a tight fit in the bore and push that baby back and forth through the barrel.

It will sweep that lead right out - and because it's copper, it won't harm the bore.

You might want to put a patch soaked with kroil through the barrel first and let it sit while you put your brush together.

You may have to re-wind the brush a couple of times if you have a lot of lead.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Apostle View Post
    ......driven with my hand drill ......
    NOT this!!

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

You never want to use any type of steel to clean your bore out. I will wear it out the rifling prematurely. Copper or brass is fine.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Last edited by abpt1; 10-12-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: it works .

Thanks guys for the info and suggestions on what to buy, I'm going to pass it along to my buddy too.

The reason I went with steel wool is I thought I read an article that guys with lathes can use their steel cuttings to clean barrels, I even think I saw the cuttings advertised for around $5-$10 a bag.

I'll go to the copper pads and shooter choice lead remover, sounds like a more gun friendly approach. Thanks again.

romak10/63UF
    sweet 7.62 solvent its stinky as hell !

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    mops driven with my hand drill

Second the choreboy, I bought a case of it and will never use it all but it sure is good to have on hand. I have to ask, what kind of slugs was he using and in whose barrel. I have shot regular Brenneke and Foster slugs through my Mossberg slug barrel and haven't had anything like you describe.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Choreboy works, and 10x steel wool won't hurt that bore one bit. If its a mix of lead and plastic, use hexane (Goof Off) and that will strip the plasic right out. (Use in well ventilated area, Hexane is rather volitile) The old recipe for fouled bores on rifles and shotguns was water and brick powder (nowdays Barkeeps friend will do) Barkeepers wil restore that old curio surplus bore quicker than Oprah on a baked ham.
    God Bless America and Type III AKs

could always just plug one end of the barrel and fill it with the "DIP"
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

dont forget to submit your $200, fingerprint card, passport photo, and application at least 6 months before you plan to start cleaning it, so you can get your tax stamp for your chore boy.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

I have been told that white vinegar will soften lead in a barrel, but it will also cause problems with blueing, so be very careful to get it on the inside only.

Plug the barrel, fill with vinegar and let stand overnight.

I use an Outer's Foul Out electro-chemical bore cleaner. Plug the chamber, fill the bore with "lead out" connect the leads and come back in a couple of hours. A psss or two with clean patches to remove the chemical, followed by normal cleaning for the powder fouling and you're set.

White vinegar and a few drops of water. Then use a brush. Spray the outside of the barrel with oil to protect the bluing.