Thread: Help with a Tech-DC9 that's stovepiping and otherwise jamming

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question Help with a Tech-DC9 that's stovepiping and otherwise jamming

A friend left this POS (his description) with me after we shot at my place last time - just thrust it at me asking me to see if I could fix it = that it was a POS and that he'd had it with it.

So, what do you guys think?

The feed ramp looks pretty rough - so maybe just polish it up?

I'd like to disassemble but it looks like I'll have to knock out a pin or two or three....

I guess I need to find a schematic or disassembly instructions....

Dang it - I told him I wasn't a freeking gunsmith lol

This is the model:

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Clean it and make sure the magazine is an original factory 32 round, 20 round, or 10 round magazine. The aftermarket junk mags are the primary cause of problems in these guns.

Here is the original manual in PDF form which includes disassembly instructions: http://gunmanual.net/index.php?optio...d=356&cf_id=24
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Thanks! I actually found it to be very easy to take down. The front pin came out easily and then the barreled action just lifts out. You unscrew the plug at the rear of the receiver to access the bolt and stuff.

The feed ramp actually was just really dirty. But there was a sharp edge along the bottom so I beveled that just enough to take the edge off and then polished the ramp with some emery paper.

Cleaned the bore and chamber well, cleaned the bolt and stuff and put it back together.

Went to the range and it would chamber the first round fine and fire - but then it would stovepipe the next round inside the receiver... there's lots of room in there.

I don't know about the mag - original or not but it looks to me like the mag is letting the round tilt up too far...

I'll ask my friend about the mags - that's actually what I told him initially - that it was probably the mags...

Thanks again for the info - I'll send that to him.

Clean it all you want, but if you want, you can check gunbroker and ebay because sometimes they sell complete used uppers.

Nothing right now (that I could find) though.

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Stove pipe jams are usually the result of low powered ammo or over powered recoil buffer springs for the ammo. Take your pick on which it is. What ammo is being used; 115 gr. Wolf or 124 gr. Geco or comparable ammo. Heavier more powerful ammo should make it function better.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I had one years ago and it was flawless.
    I do recall there was a tip to pull the mag down after insertion.
    видеодон

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

I don't know about the mag - original or not but it looks to me like the mag is letting the round tilt up too far...

I'll ask my friend about the mags - that's actually what I told him initially - that it was probably the mags...

Thanks again for the info - I'll send that to him.
    Factory mags will have a locking lug that is a separate metal piece stamp welded on, after markets will just have a tab pressed out from the mag body, factory mags will also have a steel floor plate while aftermarkets will have plastic

Quote Originally Posted by videodon View Post
    I had one years ago and it was flawless.
    I do recall there was a tip to pull the mag down after insertion.
    Interesting that you say that - the mag can be pulled down about 3mm or so... maybe I'll try pulling down and seeing if that makes a difference.

Schutz, I think the ammo in the mag is 115 fmj... seems to be energetic enough... but we could try that.

And from raxar's description, this is a factory mag.