Thread: VA Help?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Question VA Help?

Wasn't there some info about veterans getting checked out for past time in the service? Health issues,etc? To go ahead and file? I can't remember the post on the site before it went down.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I'm not sure what you mean by "checked out for past time in the service". Please elaborate to rattle my memory.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

If you have had PTSD

If you are having problems, bad dreams, If you were a combat vet, possible PTSD, or other health issues go to The VA and file. You could get a % of disability and get medical or other help. You can also use the VA med center if you have insurance and don't meet the % but it will cost you less. loco

Yes I think that was it. Of course I have been out since 1985. I guess just go to the VA and see what they say.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Yes I think that was it. Of course I have been out since 1985. I guess just go to the VA and see what they say.
    It doesn't matter how long you've been out. If you served, you need to get into the VA system. First, either go to the hospital or call. They can get you into the system. You can also get into the system on-line.
    http://www1.va.gov/opa/newtova.asp

If you think you may have a disability claim, get into the VA Hospital system, and get seen for the problem. Once you've been seen several times and been confirmed that you have the problem you wish to claim, go to one of the Veteran's Service Orgs and submit your claim. Do NOT file the claim to the VA yourself. The service orgs have the experience to word the claim in a manner that the VA understands. You'll have a better chance of getting your claim through if the Service org files it than if you did.

If you are denied, and have more proof, reopen your claim. Do not refile. If you reopen your claim, and if the VA grants you your disability, they will backdate the claim to the original claim date. If you refile, and if the VA grants your disability, you will get dated only to the date you refiled.

Hoped this helps!

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Yes that was it. Now my question is this. Since I served in the Navy-75'-79' and the Army 82'-85' I can go back those years right? In the Navy I was in the shipyards in Baltimore MD dealing with asbestos. In the Army my hearing/rt ear my hips and legs/jumping out of planes I guess. Plus I still have dreams about the army more than the navy. I still do a perimiter check around my house/property every night. So it can't hurt to try.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Yes that was it. Now my question is this. Since I served in the Navy-75'-79' and the Army 82'-85' I can go back those years right? In the Navy I was in the shipyards in Baltimore MD dealing with asbestos. In the Army my hearing/rt ear my hips and legs/jumping out of planes I guess. Plus I still have dreams about the army more than the navy. I still do a perimiter check around my house/property every night. So it can't hurt to try.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/expos...l/asbestos.asp

Yes, you can go back to your original Navy enlistment date. The above link will inform you about asbestos and that you may have reasons to claim. If the hearing and leg/hip problems are in your active duty records, you can place claims for them. I know Airborne are usually told to suck up the pain and drive on, so it's possible that you never claimed the injury. If you have witnesses who are willing to write a witness statement, you may still be able to get the disability.

Hope this helps!

Your right about the airborne! Did suck it up! Looks like the Navy is the one I'll try for. Thanks for your help guys.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Your right about the airborne! Did suck it up! Looks like the Navy is the one I'll try for. Thanks for your help guys.
    Whoa there! I believe it doesn't matter. The VA represents all the Armed Forces. When you state you're having problems related to asbestos, tell them that happened when you were in the Navy. While you're at it, you can also tell them you have back/hip/leg problems related to your experiences in the Army while failing to evolve from a land mammal to an air mammal. The same people process your claims and medical examinations.

Will do!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!