Thread: CZ 452 Scout?

CZ 452 Scout?

As I approach my 70's, I have been informed that I will soon be a grandfather. As a result of that I have been considering a .22 rifle for that grandchild that my daughter or son-in-law could use to teach that child safe gun handling skills. After some mulling it over I have decided to purchase a CZ 452 Scout model and keep it as a safe queen until such time my grandchild is old enough to learn to shoot. The truth is that I may not be around to see that day. What say you about that rifle? Do I still have to buy a trigger kit for it? Thanks...

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Congratulations on the grandchild!!!

While I understand your sense of urgency I would wait to see which hand is going to be dominant for your grandbaby. The CZ452 looks to be a good bolt action but it is right handed only, from what I can tell. I am left handed and I can tell you from experience that shooting a right handed bolt action rifle takes a lot of the joy out of shooting for me. It is very awkward to work the bolt when it is set up for the opposite hand. My father gave me a left handed Remington 581 when I was eight. One of my favorite things to do now is have right handers shoot it. It is a very accurate rifle but hard for a right hander to cycle. The other option you have would be a semi-auto as they are more ambidextrous or a lever action like a Henry. I understand why you would not want to give a child a semi as their first rifle but the lever action will be equally operable for a left or right handed shooter.

That said, you are fairly safe to get a right handed rifle as only about 20% of the population is left handed. Like I said, I think the CZ looks good but I have not personal experience with it. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Congratulations on your grandchild!

In regard to right hand vs left hand, I believe in training for ambidexterity. My first gun was a New England Firearms single barrel .410. My first .22 was a Rossi clone of a Browning-designed Winchester pump-action 22. A Mossberg 590 special purpose was my first defensive gun when I was 15, and an early SAR-1 was my first centerfire rifle at age 16.

I believe that all are very left hand friendly, especially the .410 and .22, which was helpful since I began shooting with my left hand due to the fact that I write left handed. However, in my teenage years I discovered what eye dominance was and learned that I was right eye dominant, so I decided to make myself shoot right handed only starting around age 16. After a while of that, I went to alternating between right and left. As a result, I can now operate firearms with either hand without a huge change in proficiency. Because I write with my left hand and swing a hammer with my right hand, I have greater dexterity in my left hand and increased strength in my right arm.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 08-28-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"