Thread: New Tantal (with pics for the pic nazis)

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

New Tantal (with pics for the pic nazis)

Finally got my first AK74. Maybe not a "true" AK74, but an AK chambered in 5.45x39. Built by Century Arms. Traded my AR for this gun, 180 rounds of Silver Bear 5.45 and a spam can of 7n6. I fired it before making the deal, no keyholing issues whatsoever, but the lack of chrome lining is mildly disappointing. Seems like a nice little rifle. More accurate than my WASR, and very soft shooting. Which is good because this folding wire stock resting against my jaw on a 7.62x39 would suck! Now I get to hunt down a new bayonet to fit it, a polish Bakelite pistol grip, and hopefully some surplus mags that won't break the bank so I can stockpile some of those and keep these Crapco mags for plinking use only.

I spent a half hour trying to fuck with this camera and clean the lense for better pic quality but this is the best I've gotten thus far.

Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 09-09-2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Fix IMG tags
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Do you have that Nikon L610 set to Auto mode, ISO 200? Was the flash turned on? Hard to believe the lens would be dirty enough to do that.

Nice rifle Though. A lot less common then an AR...

Can you find soft point ammo for it?
    Last edited by rci2950; 09-09-2015 at 03:13 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

L610, yes. ISO 200? No goddamn idea what that means. Flash was turned on, lens was cleaned, settings were played with and I selected the best 2 of 10 pictures I took, 1 of the 10 was on Auto, which did not make the cut. It's strange though, the pictures I took of my Winchester shotgun, WASR, and pictures I took of my AR and Glock have all turned out fine in the past. I wonder if my parents' rug has any effect on the final picture?

Less common than an AR, but still common enough that ammo and parts aren't hard to find.

Hornady does make a Vmax 5.45 round, but haven't seen any lead soft points. However, 7n6 is nasty enough, no need for Vmax or soft points IMO.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 09-09-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    L610, yes. ISO 200? No goddamn idea what that means. Flash was turned on, lens was cleaned, settings were played with and I selected the best 2 of 10 pictures I took, 1 of the 10 was on Auto, which did not make the cut. It's strange though, the pictures I took of my Winchester shotgun, WASR, and pictures I took of my AR and Glock have all turned out fine in the past. I wonder if my parents' rug has any effect on the final picture?
    Is there a little flower on the cameras screen when you are taking the picture?

You have a Winchester shotgun?

Well, not right this minute. Right now there's a bar accross it stating "Out Of Memory".

It's less a Winchester shotgun, and more a shotgun Made in Turkey branded as a Winchester SPX. It's well made, and I got her cheap so I won't bitch.

Well, not right this minute. Right now there's a bar accross it stating "Out Of Memory".
    LoL shit. Your card is full.. or not even in there.

I am willing to bet its just a settings issue with that camera.

I will read through the manual later to see if there is a factory reset option. I need to get to the ship soon.

Or I'll just use my wife as my photographer.:P

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

When you push the shutter release to take the photo do you push smoothly and slowly or do you stab at it with your finger tip. The reason I ask is your photos look like you are moving the camera when you take the photo. 99% of the cause of blurry photos is people stabbing at or super quick pressing on the shutter release which moves the camera.

So treat it like a trigger... Noted.

Beautiful rifle. One of my greatest regrets is giving an AK-74 to a buddy of mine for 1000 of 7.62x39. I only paid $200 for the rifle so it was a good deal on paper, but I regretted it shortly after. The rifle was in really good shape. The guy I bought it off of said it was not shooting right and was jamming real bad. I couldn't see anything blatantly wrong with it so I gave it a good cleaning and never had any issues with it at the range for the short amount of time I had it. Last I heard the guy I gave it to gave it to his son and he "tacti-cooled" it out. Kind of a shame, really. It had nice furniture on it.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Nice Pole! I have a couple of 5.45x39 AK's = an old SAR2 and a Bulgy build that I did many moons ago. Both are very happy with any ammo that I feed em but they really like the Bulgarian milsurp that used to be available for cheap. I still have a good supply of that.

This looks to be the best deal going = excellent russian milsurp http://sgammo.com/product/545x39-amm...grain-fmj-ammo
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The wire foolders arent as bad as they look. I used to use one on a SAR-1 with no muzzle break.

If you want to upgrade the muzzle brake, check out the Zenit D2K. CNC Warrior makes a more affordable copy that they just call the compact brake. Available in 22mm or 14-1LH.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

OSOK, thanks for the ammo link, might have to put some money toward it!
    Woogie, I think trading a gun is never a decision made without regret. Hell, I know I made an even trade as far as dollar value is concerned, but I sure did like that AR, even if I didn't shoot it as often as I like. But I'm building one for the wife, so the safe won't be without an AR for long and now has 2 AK's in it.
    Funky, I'm imagining this thing would jack my jaw in a hurry the first time I got too trigger happy on a gun with any recoil to it. Not that a 7.62x39 AK has a lot of it, but enough to make this wire stock more uncomfortable. I will likely buy a set of beryl HG's and a skeletonized side folder for it. As for the muzzle brake, I think this one works just fine from the 90 rounds I've fired this far, but I may try one, thanks for the heads up!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

OSOK, thanks for the ammo link, might have to put some money toward it!
    Woogie, I think trading a gun is never a decision made without regret. Hell, I know I made an even trade as far as dollar value is concerned, but I sure did like that AR, even if I didn't shoot it as often as I like. But I'm building one for the wife, so the safe won't be without an AR for long and now has 2 AK's in it.
    Funky, I'm imagining this thing would jack my jaw in a hurry the first time I got too trigger happy on a gun with any recoil to it. Not that a 7.62x39 AK has a lot of it, but enough to make this wire stock more uncomfortable. I will likely buy a set of beryl HG's and a skeletonized side folder for it. As for the muzzle brake, I think this one works just fine from the 90 rounds I've fired this far, but I may try one, thanks for the heads up!
    Your current brake should work as well as any other '74 style break, except it will be extra long to accommodate the rifle grenade launching tool.

Here is the DTK-2 brake that I like. the pic is not mine.

Here is the CNC Warrior copy: http://www.cncwarrior.com/Compact-Brake-p/27388.htm

The CNC Warrior version probably has a blacker finish.

Here is the Russian version for $20 more. http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal477...?categoryId=-1
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 09-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I can't say I like the look of it, but this Tantal ain't for satisfying my "purism". I do think I'll try one. I'll probably go with the CNC warrior copy, as I'm not sure just what pieces of this rifle are us made.

Forum Administrator

Please remove the Hungarian sling!

Never saw this reply. Probably pointless to reply now, the rifle was stolen about 2 months ago. Had no idea as to the origin of that sling, it's what was on the rifle when I bought it. I really liked it personally, may get one for my Hungarian Underfolder.