Thread: M.P. 40 at local Gunshop!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation M.P. 40 at local Gunshop!

Saw a MP-40 Schmeisser last week at my local Gun Shop. Yes I prefer to call it Schmeisser, Erma just don't sound right. The Man who owned it showed me his Original Bill of Sale, and the B.A.T.F. Form from 1975 He had bought it for less than 900.00 Dollars! Amazing! He had brought it in for the Stock Locking Device. It was wearing out. My Gunsmith Friend was trying to repair the Spring and Locking Part of it. Said he had been firing it for Years and enjoyed having it. I told him never sell it. He could not afford another one. He did not know what I meant so I gave him an Example I recall from the Happy Golden Years, before 1990. I told him you could get a Preban AKM take it to a Class 3 Dealer, and after getting your Paperwork back from ATF get the Rifle Converted to Select Fire for under 1,000.00 Dollars in 1985. I told him now a Preban Select Fire AKM would run you 27,000.00 Dollars. His Jaw Dropped. Hard to believe there was a time in Distant Memory Where you could own a real Class 3 Gun, not a Tube Job, with out taking out a 2nd. Mortgage. Don't you all think it is sort of strange that after almost 30 Years, the Machine Gun Ban is still in place? I would love to see someone hold a Machine Gun Hunt with world famous Hunters, carrying Submachine Guns, and Select Fire Assault Rifles and go on a Hunt. I am so tired of that old worn out Line, You can't Hunt with that! Paul
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 09-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes that MG ban needs to be overturned. I can remember passing up getting a Colt M16 for less than $400 and an S&W 76 which looks like a Swedish K for lsess than $275.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Yes I prefer to call it Schmeisser, Erma just don't sound right.
    And those of us who are HISTORICAL purists just died a little inside......

I love it how the WW2 GIs just assumed the gun was from Hugo Schmeisser. Why not? Hugo designed the MP18 and the MP28 previously. Ugh. One of the GREAT stolen credits in Gun history. Poor Erma.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I always liked the looks of those. Sadly, in all my rambles have never held or fired one!
    Dan

Actually Erma is just the Name of the Factory where they were Made. Hugo Schmeisser was the General Manager and it was normal to assume he had some control over the M.P.38 and 40. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    I always liked the looks of those. Sadly, in all my rambles have never held or fired one!
    Dan
    I've fired two of them, both were really accurate and easy to control. Slow rate of fire makes them easier to control than an M11.

Actually Erma is just the Name of the Factory where they were Made. Hugo Schmeisser was the General Manager and it was normal to assume he had some control over the M.P.38 and 40. Paul
    You're right. I meant to type POOR Heinrich Vollmer. Still, that's like calling a Ford Mustang "the Iacocca".... Hugo may have run the plant, but it wasn't his factory (as in owned) nor was he the designer.

Someone messed with my Post here. I will keep an Eye on it. I don't give a damn about Vollmer, It is a Schmeisser period! also to the Mod. who messed with this Post. leave it alone! Damn ;you!
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 03-07-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

One of the best videos ever of the MP40.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Can't believe that I missed this thread. I remember years ago, when looking for my first ak type rifle. I found this site. On a trip to visit my In laws that used to live in Richmond VA, I stopped at a gunshow there. Where I picked up my first ak rifle. Polytech underfolder. But, I remember seeing a MP 40 for sale at the show for around 4k. I wish that I knew more at the time about the process of buying a NFA item.

Several years later I did end up buying an ERB tube gun for more than twice the 4k. As a kid growing up I always though that the MP40 was a really cool gun. I really don't shoot my sub guns much anymore. I am supposed to go take some co-workers out shooting tomorrow. Might just have to bring out the MP for shits and giggles.

To the Mod. who messed with my Reply and tried to make me Credit Vollmer, I am closing it now. Asshole!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

To the Mod. who messed with my Reply and tried to make me Credit Vollmer, I am closing it now. Asshole!
    What are you talking about? There is a foot note on any thread edited as to WHO edited it. If I edit a post it shows up as last edited by Schuetzeman and it includes time and date. Now If a moderator adjusted your post their name and when it happened would of been there. At this point it time nothing shows up but your name as having edited the opening post. A screen shot to document who edited the post wuld be all the proof needed about who edited your post.