Thread: Just when I thought my WASR was problem free...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Just when I thought my WASR was problem free...

I traded one of my Tula Bakelite mags for an izmash Bakelite mag. For some reason, it would not insert far enough to lock in. I looked on the back locking lug and nothing looked really off, so I just assumed it was a cunt hair off spec and I could shave it down later.

But today I got 2 polymer Polish Radom mags that have the same problem. Only 3 mags I have in my stash that won't lock in. So I was thinking about shaving away a bit of the rear of my magwell so they will fit and I won't have any such problems in the future, but wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to shave the mags. I'm attaching a picture of the 3 problem mags next to a Tula Bakelite that works without issue for reference.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The polish radom mags needed filing to fit in my SAR-1, and every other mag works fine in it. Actually they won't fit in any of my rifles without filing. The problem is the radom mags. As long as your steel mags work, I'd say the one bakelite mag you're having trouble with is a fluke. Don't alter your rifle to fit those polish mags.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I recall the radius in the corner of the magazines can often be the issue, it doesn't match the radius in the corner of the mag well cutout. Filing the magazine may be your best option.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

After reading your replies, and checking the izhmash Bakelite mag in my buddy's WASR and noticing that it fit with no issue save for being a hair snug I did shave down the "horns" at the mag latch on the rear of the mag well to allow it to fit, as that was the difference between our guns. However the polish mags still weren't fitting. Being that they don't command the price Bakelite mags do, I modified them to fit, but not before snapping the rear corner of one of the feed lips off when I dropped it. Jesus fuck I think they are actually worse than Tapco mags... Fuck it, 2 more range mags.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Yeah, those polish mags suck. I only bought mine because they were a good deal during the Sandy Hook crises. They serve me no other purpose than simply looking cool in pictures.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"