Thread: Should I take the plunge?

Should I take the plunge?

I'm a retired working class guy on ss only. I'm not destitute but have to watch my p's and q's a little. I love surplus as a lot is affordable. The down side is the ammo availability and price for some. At an antique mall I saw an Arisaka in a glass case. It seemed to be in good condition and had a bayo attached. I was not considering it at the time so I did not ask anyone to take it out so I'm not sure of the model. The price was 185. I'm having second thoughts. As I understand it a 38 has v-notch sight and a 99 has round peep sight. Is this a quick way to determine? Also what can I expect to pay for ammo be it 6.5 or 7.7 and availability? Having a fire arm without being able to shoot it is like getting hot and heavy with a girl then having to stop. LOL.:

$185 with a bayo .. what planet are you on?

6.5 or 7.7 ... expect to pay $1.35-1.55 a round.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If the mum is present and the bore is decent then I would snatch that right up! Even with the mum ground if the bore is decent this is an excellent price. The bayo alone is worth $100. Check www.grafs.com for ammo or go to www.ammoseek.com and plug in the caliber and do a search.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    $185 with a bayo .. what planet are you on?

6.5 or 7.7 ... expect to pay $1.35-1.55 a round.
    I'll go back when I get a chance. What are you figuring is normal $ ? Was a small tag and I have old eyes. Or I'll be really,really lucky. LOL

anything japanese is pushing $300-500 around here anymore.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Well I called up and the clerk went to that booth to check for me. $195. I may pass as ammo is pricey for me. If I pass I will give you guys the antique mall name and number in case anyone is interested. Maybe they can put you in touch with the booth renter to work something out. I don't have a phone that takes pictures and I don't think they allow it anyway. I may also buy it to resell and maybe make a buck or two. I was trying to use gunbroker as a guide but prices are all over. Decisions, decisions. If I had more discretionary income I wouldn't hesitate.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Decisions, decisions. If I had more discretionary income I wouldn't hesitate.
    That is the story of my life!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

If you were a collector id say go for it but wouldn't consider it as a shooter. If you want awwii shooter is go for a Mosin. Mausers aren't s cheap as they were and the surplus 8mm doesn't seem as abundant.garands and m1 carbines are getting to where they are worth a lot and 06 ammo is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    If you were a collector id say go for it but wouldn't consider it as a shooter. If you want awwii shooter is go for a Mosin. Mausers aren't s cheap as they were and the surplus 8mm doesn't seem as abundant.garands and m1 carbines are getting to where they are worth a lot and 06 ammo is expensive.
    If I may ask why not as a shooter? I probably would not be shooting it much as the only place is the public range and maybe only go once a month. I mostly keep up with my sd handguns. Not much of a long gun shooter in my lifetime. Had a Mosin m44 carbine that I got a good price for but even so was a little sorry to see it go.
    Last edited by fez; 10-27-2015 at 03:28 PM.

I've been reading up on these rifles and getting sucked in. Now I'm going to try to get back there and handle it just to appease my curiosity. But then we all know what's going to happen. The minute I touch it the drug will take hold and I'll buy it. Damn.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I've been reading up on these rifles and getting sucked in. Now I'm going to try to get back there and handle it just to appease my curiosity. But then we all know what's going to happen. The minute I touch it the drug will take hold and I'll buy it. Damn.
    Again, story of my life.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Again, story of my life.

Buy It! Shoot it! Resell it! That is one Hell of a deal!
    Dammit man, if on fixed income, fun must be pricey, so make a profit!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Some of the later in the war Arisaka rifles are not of very good metallurgy, not hard enough to shoot them much or fear that the bolts or receivers will break. You want the bolt handle to be a rounded shape described as a Plum shaped bolt handle. http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating...-and-99-e.html Link to a page that explains variation in the rifles.

If I may ask why not as a shooter? I probably would not be shooting it much as the only place is the public range and maybe only go once a month. I mostly keep up with my sd handguns. Not much of a long gun shooter in my lifetime. Had a Mosin m44 carbine that I got a good price for but even so was a little sorry to see it go.
    Its a historic firearms that they aren't making any more of and ammo is hard to find an expensive. It sounded like you wanted something to plink around with not collect. For that I'd get a .22, AK, SKS, AR, even M1a (but ammo there would be getting expensive). unless you had more of a purpose for the rifle such as hunting or defense. You mention fixed income. Honestly a beater SKS would probably fit the bill, 7.62x39 ammo is still cheap and out of the bunch other than a .22 an SKS shouldn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Its a historic firearms that they aren't making any more of and ammo is hard to find an expensive. It sounded like you wanted something to plink around with not collect. For that I'd get a .22, AK, SKS, AR, even M1a (but ammo there would be getting expensive). unless you had more of a purpose for the rifle such as hunting or defense. You mention fixed income. Honestly a beater SKS would probably fit the bill, 7.62x39 ammo is still cheap and out of the bunch other than a .22 an SKS shouldn't break the bank.
    I have a few 22's and a Mak90. The Mak shoots great but not really pristine looking. Has an underfolder that is bolted in place. Mechanism is missing but it's solid. I have a few posts on it in the ak forum. On the other side of this Arisaka coin it probably will not be shot a lot so I'm thinking 50 rounds would probably last a year as often as I get to the range. It might just be nice to have. Hey, I'm trying to convince myself. LOL.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have a few 22's and a Mak90. The Mak shoots great but not really pristine looking. Has an underfolder that is bolted in place. Mechanism is missing but it's solid. I have a few posts on it in the ak forum. On the other side of this Arisaka coin it probably will not be shot a lot so I'm thinking 50 rounds would probably last a year as often as I get to the range. It might just be nice to have. Hey, I'm trying to convince myself. LOL.
    Save your brass and reload, that will cut down on the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Save your brass and reload, that will cut down on the cost.
    That's my one regret. Not getting into reloading. I never shot exotic or hard to find ammo. Mostly the everyday stuff (22,9mm,380,7.62x39) and not enough where reloading was that much cheaper over Wally. I sold an Enfield Longbranch recently because the ammo was thinning out and moving up in price. Should have kept it though as I did not shoot it that much. And that's why I'm considering the Arisaka now on the basis I will not need much ammo. Not in a position to get reloading equipment at this time.

Well I went back to look at it. It's funny how your eyes can play tricks on one. I thought I had a mental picture of it. First, I was not able to handle it. The women there won't touch guns and the guy who could help was out. So I looked close at it with my key chain flash light thru the case. I don't what type it was. Here is what I observed: One pressure hole. No markings around the hole at all. Just smooth iron. A hole in back of the bolt. Maybe the safety was missing? It was not a carcano receiver. It had a closed bridge. Had the Mauser side lever bolt release. The rear elevated sight looked to be missing. There was a set up for some type of elevated sight as a metal spring/tang was there. There was no notch or peep hole for the close range sight. The front sight did not have the protected ears. No bayo either. One was laying near it but was not part of the rifle. Maybe a trainer? Too bad I couldn't get a look at the bore. I passed.