Thread: Religious Discrimination? Amish Man Sues for Right to Buy Gun Without ID

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Religious Discrimination? Amish Man Sues for Right to Buy Gun Without ID

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Here's the only issue I have with their stated belief:

“The Amish faith prohibits an individual from having his/her photograph taken,” the suit read. “This belief stems from the Biblical passage Exodus 20:4, which mandates that ‘You shall not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth,’ as well as the Christian belief in humility.”

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/...un-without-id/

This means that they are not allowed to have any pictures handing on the walls in their houses. Any image that is a copy of anything, anywhere, is forbidden. This includes pictures of trees, apples, livestock, landscapes, etc.

Now, if they follow this passage to the letter, then they must have bare walls in their homes.

On the other hand, I hope his case against the .gov wins, but even that is going to be a double-edged sword. IF the Amish can skirt federal law, then so can Muslims, or any other group that deems a US law violates their religious beliefs. This has all kinds of ways different groups could get around any law they don't think they have to follow for religious reasons.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I believe the walls of most are bare, at least of pictures of humans and animals. Not sure about trees.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Liberals believe that presenting an ID is infringing on the right to vote so by the same logic presenting an ID infringes on the right to keep and bear arms.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

I thought that Amish beliefs prohibited the use of firearms.

The family and I spent a lot of time in Amish country a few years ago on our trip to PA. I can tell you their walls are bare of everything. You will see only lights and hat racks on their walls. What I found interesting is that they will sell just about anything to make a dollar, which has? That's right, a picture of a dude on it. Good people, great cooks, horrible singers.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarts View Post
    Nope. You won't see them with an AR or AK, but an old leveraction repeater is no problem for them.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Nope. You won't see them with an AR or AK, but an old leveraction repeater is no problem for them.
    That is interesting. I wonder where the cutoff in technology is for this decision?

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarts View Post
    I live in Amish country in PA. The Amish families up here hunt with bolt action and lever action rifles, but I haven't seen any of them with handguns or AR's. I never thought about how they're able to aquire rifles before this case. They must do private transfers for them.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I live in Amish country in PA. The Amish families up here hunt with bolt action and lever action rifles, but I haven't seen any of them with handguns or AR's. I never thought about how they're able to aquire rifles before this case. They must do private transfers for them.
    I thought PA didn't allow semi-autos for hunting....if that's the case, then I doubt they would buy a firearm just for plinking and giggles.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars