Thread: Picked up an Enfield No.5 for $100! Some general questions about it...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Picked up an Enfield No.5 for $100! Some general questions about it...

So I was on a routine visit to the LGS to pick up odds and ends when I saw an Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine on the rack for $150. I gave it a once-over and found that the pins that are supposed to hold the front sight/flash hider assembly are missing and the rear sight is missing some parts so it flops around. Other than that, it looked great so I decided to purchase it for $100 ($50 knocked-off for frequent customer "discount").

Now, I was never very knowledgeable on Enfields but I know that the No. 5 is worth way more than $100 and is not something I see very often. I began researching it and started noticing some differences. The left side of the receiver is tapped for a scope mount. The receiver also has no markings on the side other than the serial number (no "No. 5 MK1"). The stock is different, as it doesn't have a top handgaurd, the fore-end is shorter, and I see no evidence of it ever having a barrel band. The left side of the metal strap near the grip only says "England" with a goofy marking above it. There is no year stamped anywhere on this thing. There are British proof marks on the barrel. So far have have only come across one other example of this variation in an image search and no info was available.

Anyone know anything about this variation? Also, any sources for flash hider pins and a rear sight kit? Thanks, fellas!

Last edited by skorpion; 11-18-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Upon closer inspection of the left side of the receiver, I found the model number stamp. It says "No." but the number was right where one of the scope mount holes was drilled. Also, looking at the stock, it appears that it may be original but was cut down and "sporterized" years ago. That would explain the uniqueness of the stock. I still can't find a date stamp any where.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.

proper bolt . proper cuts on barrel shank. .. is the receiver cut properly?

what is on top of the barrel about 12" from the shank. It should have it's pressure inspection stamp right where the top handgaurd ended.

the rear sight Should have a nice peen mark at the 275meters mark. some have a rivet.

With all I see, late '45 Fazakerley.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Nice buy. I had wanted a #5 since I saw one as a grade schooler... finally got one out of a pawn shop two/three years back.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    proper bolt . proper cuts on barrel shank. .. is the receiver cut properly?

what is on top of the barrel about 12" from the shank. It should have it's pressure inspection stamp right where the top handgaurd ended.

the rear sight Should have a nice peen mark at the 275meters mark. some have a rivet.

With all I see, late '45 Fazakerley.
    It has the "Sold from Service" X-stamp and a proof test with ".303 2.2222" or something along those lines. From what I have researched so far, the plain "England" on the side instead of a date indicates it was exported after being taken out of service and refurbished.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Nice buy. I had wanted a #5 since I saw one as a grade schooler... finally got one out of a pawn shop two/three years back.
    I missed an opportunity years back to get a good deal on a nice No. 5 and wanted to find another ever since. For $100 I couldn't pass it up, especially since it looks very shootable.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good deal but as you noted, it's not a No 5 - it's a sportered No 4.

Should shoot good.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thanks for the info, HK.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Good deal but as you noted, it's not a No 5 - it's a sportered No 4.

Should shoot good.
    Is it? It has the No. 5 receiver cuts.

I'm no expert, but it looks like they've been milled. I might be wrong... might just be refinished...

Here's one to compare with.

This reminds me of a recent trade that I made. I traded a H&R Handi 500 S&W with dies, brass, ammo for a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mags with dies, brass, lots of ammo.

The BH has a 5" barrel that was shortened by a previous owner. The front sight was pretty bad looking but seemed functional. The guy says he got it in trade and never shot it. It has an alloy grip frame which I'm pretty sure is a switch from another Ruger - especially since it doesn't quite match exactly at the back of the frame but this doesn't bother me as it works overall.

I took it out back and shot it and the front sight came loose and fell off. OK Fortunately, I had all the tools to fix it and a new front sight was only $13 shipped. I installed it and it looks good now. It wasn't shooting very well and looking at the muzzle, I could see where the rifling wasn't evenly cut - the overall crown was fine but it needed some work - again, I had the tools and gave it a 45 degree chamfer and now it's shooting like it should. I've got a Belt Mountain base pin coming for it. Considering the issues with the BH, if I'd of had to pay a gunsmith to fix them, this wouldn't have been a good trade for me. As it turned out though, it was a great trade!

Trading and buying used can be an adventure!

Here is what it looks like now:

It may have a "replacement grip frame" and the barrel is chopped but I like it. It's a shooter and kind of a "custom" gun lol. So I'm happy.

I'm sure you will be happy with your Enfield too.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 11-18-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Mine:

We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

it is a NO. 5
    other than the bolt handle, those cuts on the barrel shank are a dead giveaway.
    ".303 2.2222" Tonnes
    is the proper marking right in front where that top HG would be.

can't tell but is the actual rubber butt pad in place?
    If you want to dress it back up to proper specs try out sarco or numrich. Wood will cost you about what you paid for the rifle in most cases.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...043.htm?page=1

Late '45 Fazakerleys Were tossed together from what was leftover. Some have an end cap on the stock, some didn't .

Worst thing you can get a hold of is one all dicked up by Golden State Arms / Santa Fe

For what you paid , that's fair . WOUld be a $250-350 rifle if it didnt have all those holes tapped.

If you want to get rid of it someday , I know a guy who "needs" another junker #5 for a project

I acquired 90% of a private estates Enfield collection this past summer. Passed on some duplicates but I picked up some Gems, and.. NO I do not know how many Enfields I have .
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 11-18-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Like has been said, not bad for a C note. Bubba improved it or at least that's what he thought he was doing at the time. You could try to restore it somewhat, get replacement parts and stock. You just can't undo those screw holes though. Still you could at least put some plug screws in to fill them so that they don't collect shit.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-18-2015 at 08:01 PM.

the top 3 screw holes are the only "alien" ones.

red loctite plug screws, grind flush and cover with the shittiest black engine paint you can find.

these arent bad shooters. I've shot mine a few times with my Bren loads and recoil isn'tmuch. I usually stick with 178 hard cast unique loads for range plinking though.
    More accurate than a Mini 14 @ 100yds.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Well, there you go. Helen to the rescue! Glad you got a 5. Regardless IMHO, for $100, you couldn't go wrong.

Thanks for all of your input, fellas! I've been looking for stocks and there are zero out there. I will still enjoy it the way it is as a shooter, though. And HK, yes, it still has the rubber butt pad. Kind of pointless - I don't see how a strip of hard rubber could help with recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    And HK, yes, it still has the rubber butt pad. Kind of pointless - I don't see how a strip of hard rubber could help with recoil.
    LOL, it doesn't... that rubber is about a .7 on the hardness scale and narrowing the butt makes it worse.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Thanks for all of your input, fellas! I've been looking for stocks and there are zero out there. I will still enjoy it the way it is as a shooter, though. And HK, yes, it still has the rubber butt pad. Kind of pointless - I don't see how a strip of hard rubber could help with recoil.
    My guess is it was designed to make sure the shooter didn't waste ammo.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    My guess is it was designed to make sure the shooter didn't waste ammo.
    LOL, the few times I shot mine I stopped at a box or so and went to a lighter recoiling weapon...