Thread: Got a WUM1 on layaway

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Got a WUM1 on layaway

Found a Romanian WUM at my lgs. Straight cut receiver, butthole stock replaced with regular stock and Bakelite PG, still singlestack config. The guy who runs the store was going to open up the magwell and keep it for himself, but didn't have the time or patience to do it. So I'm snagging it for $400. Just put $50 down on it today. Should have it paid off in a month or two.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

nice. other than the single stack magwell the WUM's were mostly very good + in assembly.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

It looked much better internally than most WASR's I've seen. And a slightly wiggly piston, yay!!! Hopefully no trigger slap, but if it does aa Tapco fcg will fix it right up.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Although it is your rifle to do as you please, personally I would keep it single stack since most were opened up to accept standard AK mags. Don't know what future collector value would be for such an odd-ball, but considering how bad I figured MAK-90 values, who knows.

As to trigger slap, it should have a Romanian fire control group, so slap would be less likely, although still possible just by design.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    The guy who runs the store was going to open up the magwell and keep it for himself, but didn't have the time or patience to do it.
    Have you checked to see if it has a narrow bolt?
    That could be why he didn't open it
    I think some of the WUM's had those. There's a little more to it to open them up than the WASR's

It's basically a regular bolt with the feed lip ground down to fit inside the single stack mag.
    Might want to check before you start cutting.
    Not impossible just a heads up those are pretty nice rifles
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I agree with nut on this. You just can never tell and although single stack mags are
    tough to find, they are out there. Full auto is also right about the bolt, even though you open it up
    you may still need the bolt assembly to make it work properly. I read about this when the
    O paps or N paps, can't remember, single stack rifles were coming in and people were converting
    them to dbl stack mags., at times they would not feed properly. Wrong bolt assembly.
    Last edited by l921428x; 11-26-2015 at 07:11 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Full auto is also right
    Who?

Nut you may be right, but as it stands I have no desire for a single stack AK. My desire for this thing is simply acquiring a good quality AKM at a damn good price. As for collector value... I personally don't see the value going up much aside from how "assault weapons" go up in value every time bans are discussed. There just isn't a market for singlestack AK's in free states. These may be a little bit of an oddity now, but not the kind of odd that makes them more desirable aside from century having never molested it with Tapco parts (not saying I won't add them...).
    Full Otto, I haven't checked the bolt, but bolts aren't hard to come by and pretty cheap. Seeing how it still has the bolt guide rails installed to keep it in line with the singlestack mags, I'm willing to bet it does have the cut bolt.

I had a factory new bolt around here at one time when I was going to try it. Not sure where it went off to. I know I spent way to much but that was way back when things weren't as easy. May be a non issue but I like to bring it up since I encountered it. In fact the stuff I'm posting is grabbed from a four year old post and that was from memory at the time

Here's a bit more from it since there may be more to it than just the bolt:

I took it to a smith down the road with the idea of opening it and he informed me of a few other goodies I would have to do. These are just shots I could find to try and explain and again I may not use quite the right terms, hopefully I get the idea across.
    The single stack was slightly taller not much but enough to have them also add a little more shim between the trigger guard to the receiver. No biggie but after opening the well a double stack would be shorter and the bolt would ride over the top of the round so that shim has to be removed and adjusted for proper height.

I seem to recall that the feed ramp was a little narrow as well but that was my own observation while still trying to decide whether or not to open it
    I didn't and it went to someone that couldn't have the double stack. That's something to consider before opening them up.

Now the narrow feed ramp is what made me stop because there was also a rivet on the side which would also need to be ground down as the ramp was opened
    Didn't really want to start removing material from that plus wondered about how well it would feed with that exposed since it was recessed enough for the single stack

Not trying to talk you out of it by any means just sharing what I found and chickened out on
    There was a thread in the Yugo forum very similar and the guy did a great job so FWIW

All good info, thanks for the heads up. I'm actually looking forward to the project.

Update:
    After doing a little research, it appears what I have on layaway is a WASR. WUM's had dimples. The only thing weird about this WASR is that it came with a thumbhole stock. As for thinking it looked better than a WASR, I've obviously just never seen one that wasn't molested and Tapcofucked by century.
    Bolt is unaltered and good to go for use with double stack mags.
    The bolt has not been cut, no issue there. Muzzle nut is still welded on, so I'm 99% sure there are threads underneath. Bayonet lug clearly ground down/ milled off prior to importation. I'm thinking this may be the rifle I break my "purist" rules on, seeing how I don't have the necessary equipment to weld up and shape new bayonet lugs for it. This rifle may get the Zhukov makeover with a stubby foregrip, flashlight, but not everything including the kitchen sink. Has side rail for scope already, so will definitely need to put a decent optic on it.

And since what we have is a dirt common WASR rather than a WUM, I talked him into throwing in a few boxes of ammo, still only paying $400.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Disappointing that it isn't a WUM, but a single stack WASR. They did ship some with the PSL type stock.

Still $400 in today's dollars is not bad.