Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,”

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

My father has a Remington 541, don't recall if it's an S or T model that he's had since the early 70's. IIRC he commented once that if you forget it's on safe and pull the trigger then take it off safe it will fire when the saftey is moved without touching the trigger.

At least that's what I seem to recall. I'll have to ask him next time we talk and find out for sure. Either way he really likes the rifle, knows about whatever the issue is and handles it accordingly. Since I expect to inherit the rifle at some point I guess I do need to find out the specifics.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I never needed to mess with my trigger. It came from the factory with the X-mark Pro Trigger, and that thing is sweeeeeet!
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

"antigun marxist mouthpiece to air report against America's best selling bolt action rifle"

CNBC
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I bet those dumbshits will probably try to say with only a few small internal mods, a person can make them fire full auto
    it's true, all you have to do is grind off the locking lugs and wrap a bunch of rubber bands on the back of the bolt and the front scope mount....

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive also never heard of the discharges. i have, however, heard of the early 80's modifications to the fcg. i know that i can get a premium for any pre-80's rifle i want to sell, that has the bolt that cannot open on safe. a lot of ppl who do a lot of moving through rough country prefer them, as the newer ones, with the bolt can open on safe, are easy to have the bolt open on them without knowing about it when moving through more dense brush.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Had one since 1985 in .30-06, a 700 BDL model. Never an issue with it with the stock trigger. Put a Jewell trigger on it and when I was setting it up I checked the setting by thumping the buttstock down on the ground, (with the weapon certifiably unloaded) to check for the potential to "bump" off a round. No portion of my body was over the muzzle even though I knew it was onloaded. Sure enough it did go click on the first thump. Several adjustments later I could slam it down and no "Click". Anything harder and the stock would break.

If the older weapons had a problem we are talking about 25 + year old weapons and probably ones with after market triggers not set up and checked correctly.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Never had a problem with one. And never heard of it. Is the brady bunch behind this conspiracy.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I remember seeing a similar report (maybe by the same outfit) about the Remington 700s over 10 years ago. Apparently under the right (or wrong) conditions (IE damage to the trigger mechanism or safety) pulling the trigger with the safety on, the rifle may discharge while turning the safety off. I've seen it happen on an old Marlin bolt-action .410, but not on a Remington.

I'd say it might be possible, but rare and unlikely.
    Same here.
    I remember one woman who shot and/or killed her husband or son while unloading her gun....
    What is that "thing" about not pointing something at something you don't intend on something to it.

BISHOP

Wait till they find out that Strike Anywhere Matches wont work on fish, liver, Pudding or Jello! Nowhere on the match is there a warning!

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I bet those dumbshits will probably try to say with only a few small internal mods, a person can make them fire full auto
    It's actually pretty easy. You just remove the receiver from the stock, then fit the stock to a machinegun. Now it's full-auto! And it can be done in minutes with the addition of only a complete barreled receiver and some minor fitting of the stock!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Documents Reveal Remington Wrestled with Potential Gun Safety Problems for Decades

Published: Wednesday, 20 Oct 2010 | 11:07 PM ET
    By: Scott Cohn

The manufacturer of the most popular hunting rifle in the world has been aware of potential safety problems with the gun since before it went on the market—60 years ago. This, according to newly uncovered documents.

The documents, including memos and drawings by the gun’s inventor, show company officials discussing the potential problem, as well as whether a design change is worth “the high expenditure required to make the conversion.”

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Remington's official response can be found at the link below.

www.remington700.tv

Steve

Update - The 'Safety Modification Program' information does now appear on the Remington website.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...n-program.aspx
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 10-21-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I have had several 700's back in the early 60's......I do not ever recall any problems with an AD. Nothing beats proper gun handling...anything mechanical can malfunction!
    Dan

while i can agree the video of the malfunctions in the cnbc video certainly is not safe, all of the horror stories they cite in the video, while i will agree can easily be due to a malfunctioning rifle, teh fact is they all seem to have been practicing EXTREAMLY POOR general firearms saftey. the rifle should not be pointed at ANYONE EVER if you do not intend to shoot them. a hunting rifle should not be brought into the car loaded, let alone into the house. imo, while a malfunctioning rifle may have played a part in the 3 incidences they showed, the bottom line is they happend due to unsafe handling by the end user.

Might be a good time to find a good deal on a used one right now.
    Here is some videos on how it malfunctioned.
    http://kitup.military.com/2010/10/re...nder-fire.html

Liked to have seen the show.

Sorta like the Harley Davidson? They know it has major design defects and still.... people buy them.

I've had a 700, a 40x, and XP100. None of them fired on its own, but then I replaced the triggers with Jewell triggers which are safer due to the 3 lever design, or so I've been told.

If you know of a defect, and you can fix it, and the product functions acceptably for you, then what difference does it make?

CNBC vs. the Remington 700

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--> <!--[endif]-->

On October 20, CNBC ran a very emotional investigative reporting piece on the Remington 700 bolt action rifle. Their claim is that the gun misfires frequently and causes serious injury and in a couple cases death. For the CNBC piece you can go to the following website http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/ and for the Remington rebuttal you can to this website http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

Please note that our VP (GS2AC), Jim Barry, says he owns 3 of these rifles and has never had a problem with them and feels they are extremely accurate.

http://gs2ac.com/blogs/?p=142#more-142

Steve

Safety prompts police to quit using Remington 700 rifles

Updated 6h 27m ago
    By Scott Cohn, Senior Correspondent, CNBC

The police department in Portland, Maine, has become the latest law enforcement agency to stop using a popular sniper rifle over concerns the gun can go off without the trigger being pulled.

The rifle, the Remington 700, is the subject of a CNBC documentary, "Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation," which revealed thousands of customer complaints, including from Portland police in 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...Top+Stories%29

Steve

Judge unseals files in Remington rifle lawsuit

By PERRY BACKUS Ravalli Republic The Billings Gazette | Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 12:55 pm | (3) Comments

Richard Barber hopes his decade-long quest for the truth about one of this country’s most popular firearms could be nearing an end.

The Belgrade man’s 9-year-old son Gus was killed after the family’s Remington Model 700 rifle fired without the trigger being pulled in 2000.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...eda26802f.html

Steve

tag for later

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast