Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,”

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,”

“Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,” Airs Oct. 20

October 14, 2010

(GunReports.com) — On Wednesday, October 20th at 9PM ET/PT, CNBC will air, “Remington Under Fire: A CNBC Investigation,” reported by Senior Correspondent Scott Cohn.

The Remington Model 700-series rifle—with more than five million sold—is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits alleging that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing accidentally.

This CNBC piece examines allegations that the Remington Model 700- series hunting rifle is prone to firing without pulling the trigger, and that its manufacturer, Remington, has been aware of this concern for almost 60 years.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.gunreports.com/news/news/...034a:&st=email

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Interesting.
    I have three in 308 and one in 30-06...Never had an issue...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I have 3...I'd never had an issue.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I have the SPS Tac in 308, and no problems either.

Sell millions of rifles you're bound to get some bad eggs- or bad customers.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I wonder how many were damaged either during a bad cleaning or by someone trying to lighten the trigger pull?

I'm not even going to read the article. I'm going to call Bullshit in advance.
    Gun owners are second only to car junkies in talking about their experience with a particular product and no one in this diverse and well informed community knows about this!

Attention! The most popular hunting rifle in the United States is actually highly unsafe and the direct result of hundreds if not thousands perhaps millions of injuries each year.

BTW: I own a 700 in .270 and my father owns one in 30-06 and neither of us has ever had a problem.
    It's BULLSHIT I SAY.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

I cry bullshit

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

I bet those dumbshits will probably try to say with only a few small internal mods, a person can make them fire full auto

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I bet those dumbshits will probably try to say with only a few small internal mods, a person can make them fire full auto
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I remember seeing a similar report (maybe by the same outfit) about the Remington 700s over 10 years ago. Apparently under the right (or wrong) conditions (IE damage to the trigger mechanism or safety) pulling the trigger with the safety on, the rifle may discharge while turning the safety off. I've seen it happen on an old Marlin bolt-action .410, but not on a Remington.

I'd say it might be possible, but rare and unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper_n_training View Post
    I know all I needed was a screwdriver and a small piece of duct tape and now mine is a full auto chopper killer ack ack grenade launcher that mostly kills orphans.
    Last edited by ubersoldate; 10-15-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    I remember seeing a similar report (maybe by the same outfit) about the Remington 700s over 10 years ago. Apparently under the right (or wrong) conditions (IE damage to the trigger mechanism or safety) pulling the trigger with the safety on, the rifle may discharge while turning the safety off. I've seen it happen on an old Marlin bolt-action .410, but not on a Remington.

I'd say it might be possible, but rare and unlikely.
    That actually happened to me a few years ago, but it was one of Remington's 7mm .08 rifles, not a 700.

Yeah, if this was a comon problem I think we would have heard about it already.

I mean, out of the millions of Glocks out there, what tiny fraction of a percentage explodes? And everybody knows about that.

Slam firing SKS's? Heard of it.

Jamming Ar's? Heard of it.

Remington 700's ND'ing all over the place? Never heard that till today!

I have to wonder how many of the rifles in question have had trigger work done. I know a lot of people like to mess with these things to put ultra light triggers on them.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I wonder how many were damaged either during a bad cleaning or by someone trying to lighten the trigger pull?
    I'd bet money that you are the winner. Amateurs tinkering with triggers....

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

For those not familiar with the safety issue on some Model 700 rifles click the link below. This same basic information use to appear on the Remington website but I sure can't seem to find it.

http://130.94.182.159/recalls.htm#REM1

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Isn't one of the first rules of firearms safety is not to point the damn thing at anything you don't want to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Isn't one of the first rules of firearms safety is not to point the damn thing at anything you don't want to shoot?
    Exactly. Problem solved.

It's sad how nobody wants to accept personal responsibility anymore. Too easy to blame others.
    Attitudes change quick when dicks are involved and faces are pushed into pillows.

An upcoming "report" from the Communist News Broadcasting Corporation on a particular small arm, I bet it's gonna be as legitimate and thought provoking as the UN Charter....
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast