Thread: BB-39

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Unhappy BB-39

Tomorrow is 74 Years she was Sunk at Pearl Harbor. The most well know Battleship of all time. BB-39, U.S.S. Arizona.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

A sad day in American history.

And most will forget what day it is tomorrow.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I was told my uncle served on her, but he mustered out in 1940. Does anyone know where to find a crew roster?
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I was told my uncle served on her, but he mustered out in 1940. Does anyone know where to find a crew roster?
    Archives I, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington DC

Textual Reference Branch, National Archives, Washington DC 20408 telephone (202) 501-5671

Holds deck logs of individual ships through 1941. Officer personnel are often listed on the first page of each month's log for the 1880-1941 time period. A collection of monthly muster rolls listing enlisted personnel aboard individual ships from the 1880-1941 is also available. The Navy's Judge Advocate General investigative records, for the pre- World War II period, are also maintained in the Branch.

Archives II, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park MD 20740-6001.

Reference - http://www.navsource.org/Naval/faq27-1.htm

Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

I always wondered what the letters of the alphabet meant in the ships call sign if that's the right terminology?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Tomorrow is 74 Years she was Sunk at Pearl Harbor. The most well know Battleship of all time. BB-39, U.S.S. Arizona.

Noticed your signline. I'm sure you know that the Indianapolis delivered the uranium core for the first (Hiroshima) bomb and was torpedoed and sunk on the way back.

It's a shame that it happened at all, but can you imagine how much worse it would have been if the ship were sunk EN-ROUTE to Tinian and the bomb core was lost?

They would have had to scramble to use the plutonium core of the Nagasaki bomb... and (as far as I know) another core was not available yet. Therefore only one bomb could have been dropped on Japan and they may not have surrendered.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I know! Something that Important should have had a Convoy to protect her and allow my Uncle to live his Life in Peace. Hell there was 2 Weeks left in the War!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021