Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new PC! - FINISHED with New Photos!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Standby - uploading images to Gunsnet Gallery

Ok going to start with a couple of photos of what I was using for a PC. It was a vintage 2008 AMD Phenom II 955 CPU chipped Asus Mother board equipped PC. It had Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM with blue LEDs. It was kind of pretty.

What the cables looked like behind the Mother Board Tray. Not so pretty.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-23-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Cool

The build, components and final under power photos.

Skylake CPU Chip. BTW it is a 3.5 Ghz chip but the Asus board is running it smoothly at 4.48 Ghz with no voltage increase.

G. Skill Trident Z DDR4 4x4 Gb kit. They are gray onthe front, black on the back and have a red accent strip in the middle of the heat spreader, really pretty RAM, goes with the Asus Mobo perfectly.

Asus Maximum VIII Ranger Mother Board, a Z170 chip set board using DDR4 memory.

Ram installed on the board, sexy!

The Define R4 case cleanded out before installing the new stuff.

New Cables all neatly arranged, (best I am willing to do)

Final Build under power. Not as blingy inside, no LEDS on the ram, though there are some on Graphics card and the Motherboard.

In the Hard Drive Rack at the bottom is the Samsung 850 Evo 250 Gb SSD as the C: the primary boot drive. The two Hard Disk Drives (HDD) are 2 Tb Western Digital Blacks running in Raid 1 for mirrored data.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-23-2015 at 08:46 PM.

So, no questions guys?

I am still wiping up my drool! I am still not sure about the Win10 stuff you had going on.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I am still wiping up my drool! I am still not sure about the Win10 stuff you had going on.
    Just make sure you don't click the wrong verison if you are installling it from a flash drive. If I hand't done that it would of been easy and smooth.

More before PC vs. the new build information. One of the goals I had on this build was to have performance but keep it quiet. The old version in the Define R4 case had 2 Aero Cool 140 mm fans and 2 Cooler Master 140 mm fans and 1 original Fractal Design 140 mm fans. The Define R4 case is supposed to be sound dampened to be quieter, and it was but it wasn't even close to silent. The new build has 3 Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 fans which are rated at 1000 RPM maximum. They live up to their hype IMO. When I first powered the system up I had to open the front panel to see if the fans were turning as I couldn't hear anything.

The Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler is also virtually silent. The old CPU COOLER HAD A 110 MM fan between those copper heat sink fins. It was not even close to being silent. Clearly you do get what you pay for with air cooling technology. The Silent Wings 2 fans are normally at $25 each, I snagged them for $16.95 each. The Dark Rock 3 was $74.95, expensive for an air cooler but it seems to be doing the job well. Under load the CPU is at about 42 °C and that's running over clocked to 4.49 Ghz from 3.5 Ghz stock speed. Not bad at all IMO.

One last detail, the original system was running a Negative air pressure in the case. This pulls in a ton of room air for good cooling but it also pulls in a crap load of dust. The new system is Positive air pressure, more input than output. The intake fans have filter screens on them. With the case pressure postive any air leaks are from the inside to the outside of the case. With the negative pressure of he old system, any gaps in the case pulls in unfiltered room air that is full of dust. So the moral to the story is Stay Positive for air pressure to keep things more dust free.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-24-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Oh ok thanx. What is the red start button on the MB?

be the heat..

The Start button is a way to power on the board without having to install it in the computer case. Builders like to do this to make sure the board isn't dead before they expend the time and energy to install and wire it all up only to find it is dead. Using the mother board box you place the board on top, connect your CPU, Ram, CPU Cooler, Graphics card. Also hook a monitor and keyboard in. Attach the main 24 pin power cable, the supplemental 8 pin and the PCIE graphics card cables. Push the Start button and watch the board boot, and Post.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So, no questions guys?
    BTDT a few times now, with all the newer stuff coming down in size it's nice to have room to work in a tower .

Keep fingers away from video card fans... blades will shear right off.

i pimped out an acer i bought 2 years ago , only issue i have are these stupid flash players. If you want a neato graphic experience play Verdun.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 12-25-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Not sure about the Poseidon's fans but I can tell you the Fractal Design fans sure do have brittle blades. The white exhaust fan in the case is a replacement, I had a spare Fractal fan from the original build. During this build I accidently struck the fan with the back of my hand routing a cable and it snapped off a blade. In retrospect I should of just mounted my 4th Be Quiet fan in there to go all stealthy black. I may do it eventually, but for now I'm just going to roll with it.

BTW the Define R4 is a mid-tower. I took out the center drive bay that holds 5 drives to improve airflow to the graphics card.

Nice cable dressing there.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Nice cable dressing there.
    Thanks, that was a goal, to try and be as tidy as possible. The first time I built a PC the wires couldn't be seen, it didn't have a windowed case. The wiring looked like a bird's nest.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-26-2015 at 09:23 AM.

Where did you find/get those 140mm fans? I need a good one but
    couldn't find yours.

be the heat..

Win10?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Where did you find/get those 140mm fans? I need a good one but
    couldn't find yours.
    I don't know where Schuetz got his but they are available - http://www.amazon.com/Be-Quiet-1000R...=pwm+140mm+fan

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Ok thanks I did not find them at newegg.

be the heat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12