Thread: For the First Time, Majority of NYT Readers Oppose Assault Weapon Ban

For the First Time, Majority of NYT Readers Oppose Assault Weapon Ban

Shortly after the San Bernardino shooting, the New York Times made a big deal out of posting an editorial on the front page for the first time in nearly a hundred years. The article was a scathing condemnation of our nation’s gun laws, as well as America’s gun culture. However, their impassioned plea for more gun legislation hasn’t had its intended effect.

For 20 years the New York Times has periodically surveyed their readers, asking them if they would support an assault weapons ban. For the first time since 1995, a majority of their readers opposed the ban. In January of 1995, 67% of readers supported the ban, and 27% opposed. By 2011 there was a slight shift, with 63% in favor and 34% opposed. By 2015 there was a dramatic change with only 44% in favor of a ban, and 50% opposed.
    http://www.thedailysheeple.com/for-t...pon-ban_122015

What amazes me is they didn't alter the poll to favor their agenda.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    They might have altered it to show that 50% opposed IF those opposed were really around 78%.

You never know...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    They probably didn't alter the poll because their readership is so low that they are just happy to have anyone buying their paper, even the dreaded "assault" weapon owner.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Shortly after the San Bernardino shooting, the New York Times made a big deal out of posting an editorial on the front page for the first time in nearly a hundred years. The article was a scathing condemnation of our nation’s gun laws, as well as America’s gun culture. However, their impassioned plea for more gun legislation hasn’t had its intended effect.

For 20 years the New York Times has periodically surveyed their readers, asking them if they would support an assault weapons ban. For the first time since 1995, a majority of their readers opposed the ban. In January of 1995, 67% of readers supported the ban, and 27% opposed. By 2011 there was a slight shift, with 63% in favor and 34% opposed. By 2015 there was a dramatic change with only 44% in favor of a ban, and 50% opposed.
    http://www.thedailysheeple.com/for-t...pon-ban_122015

I'll bet quite a bit of the "opposition" came from the concept of forcible door-to-door confiscation rather than a ban itself.

Even dumb sheeple can figure out that if one kind of thing can be forcibly confiscated, then anything can.

I sincerely hope nobody is stupid enough to try it. The holidays are not the time for people to die.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    They probably didn't alter the poll because their readership is so low that they are just happy to have anyone buying their paper, even the dreaded "assault" weapon owner.

I'm amazed that when people talk about "gun laws" in public, why nobody brings up the simple and irrefutable fact that ASSAULT and MURDER have always been illegal and if someone is willing to violate the "ultimate law", how anyone can possibly imagine that a mere "gun law" will have the force to stop them.

IF... I say IF it were hypothetically possible to make some "law" that would really, actually stop violent crime committed using firearms, I would be 100% in agreement with it, even if it infringed on my personal use of guns.

But nobody in their right mind can imagine that a penny-ant "gun law" will stop (or even slow down) someone bent on violence, assault and murder.

Anyone who thinks a "gun law" CAN work obviously needs to be locked up in the loony bin... for their safety and ours.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    When someone asks me or starts talking about "reasonable restrictions" I always come back with; "When they make murder illegal, and everyone abides by that law, then we can talk about reasonable restrictions". Shuts them up every time.