Thread: Duck Eggs

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Duck Eggs

Discovered the asian grocery store that i frequent has been carrying fresh local DUCK eggs all this time. I picked up a half dozen ($2) and had a couple hard boiled with a bowl of grits for lunch. The flavour is like a chicken egg but they are twice the size of a large chicken egg. The white part is more dense and harder and the yolk has the consistency of bread dough when cooked. I think i found a new breakfast favourite.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My uncle used to cook with duck eggs. Made big ass pancakes with them.

Y'all eat grits in Canada? I fucking love grits.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Y'all eat grits in Canada? I fucking love grits.
    They are not found anywhere in Atlantic Canada. I buy mine when my ship stops into Norfolk VA. I usually get a half dozen boxes and it lasts me till the next time i am down there.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    They are not found anywhere in Atlantic Canada. I buy mine when my ship stops into Norfolk VA. I usually get a half dozen boxes and it lasts me till the next time i am down there.

Word.

FYI, good stone ground grits are 10 times better than instant stuff, although I do eat the instant when I'm in a rush.

Also, make sure you try yellow corn grits. Some folks like it better than white. I like both.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Speaking of Canadian cuisine, why do you all like to put that gravy stuff on your french fires? I seem to recall it's some kind of gravy with cheese curd in it. Tried it and didn't like it. Now I did develop a taste for vinegar on french fries so I'll give you an atta boy on that little culinary delight.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Wow commuting to the store on a warship to buy a southern delicacy. SWEET!!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Speaking of Canadian cuisine, why do you all like to put that gravy stuff on your french fires? I seem to recall it's some kind of gravy with cheese curd in it. Tried it and didn't like it. Now I did develop a taste for vinegar on french fries so I'll give you an atta boy on that little culinary delight.

I've never heard of cheese curd gravy, but regular brown gravy on fried potato wedges is awesome.

Poutine is a comfort food. Fries, gravy and cheese curd. But it has to be a specific type of cheese. It comes from Quebec. You can tell you have the right one because when you bite into a lump of it, it will actually squeak a little bit on your teeth. Poutine also has to be eaten before the cheese curds melt. Re heating is a no-no. Poutine is something that either you love it or hate it. I love it. There are other variations. One i like is putting bread crumbs, savory flakes and caramelized onions on top of the regular poutine. This version is called "Newfie fries" if you substitute the cheese for loose fried hamburger.

As for vinegar on french fries, I do that all the time, sometimes even if there is gravy. Put the vinegar on right before the salt so the salt sticks to the fries ha!

I have a question about the Grits though. Would normal coarse corn meal substitute for Hominy? How different is it? I have thought about just trying it with corn meal.

Commuting on a warship is how i buy a lot of American things I don't get to drive there on my own very much anymore. Luckily Norfolk is a regular stop for the Canadian East coast navy.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

The hominy we ate growing up was plumped up corn kernels, white or yellow. Don't know if folks still eat it or not? I don't believe it's anything like grits but not sure.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Poutine is a comfort food. Fries, gravy and cheese curd. But it has to be a specific type of cheese. It comes from Quebec. You can tell you have the right one because when you bite into a lump of it, it will actually squeak a little bit on your teeth. Poutine also has to be eaten before the cheese curds melt. Re heating is a no-no. Poutine is something that either you love it or hate it. I love it. There are other variations. One i like is putting bread crumbs, savory flakes and caramelized onions on top of the regular poutine. This version is called "Newfie fries" if you substitute the cheese for loose fried hamburger.

As for vinegar on french fries, I do that all the time, sometimes even if there is gravy. Put the vinegar on right before the salt so the salt sticks to the fries ha!

I have a question about the Grits though. Would normal coarse corn meal substitute for Hominy? How different is it? I have thought about just trying it with corn meal.

Commuting on a warship is how i buy a lot of American things I don't get to drive there on my own very much anymore. Luckily Norfolk is a regular stop for the Canadian East coast navy.

Don't make grits with corn meal. The consistency will be fucked.

I figured there was a reason white hominy is used for grits.

Speaking of Canadian things. I am on the second turn of the puff pastry for my eccles cakes as we speak.

Last edited by rci2950; 12-17-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The hominy we ate growing up was plumped up corn kernels, white or yellow. Don't know if folks still eat it or not? I don't believe it's anything like grits but not sure.
    Oh yeah. I still buy hominy whenever I go to the grocery store. My wife hates it, but I love it. Yellow or white, makes no difference. They both taste good.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Squeaky cheese! There is a place in Washington State where we can by cheddar cheese curds and we call them squeaky cheese because they squeak when you chew them. I really like them.

I also used to do shopping runs when I was at sea. On the west coast the aircraft carriers regular port call was San Diego and there were some items that my wife and I liked that we could get there but could not get in Washington so my wife would send me to sea with a shopping list.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

So, I did some research and found that hominy is corn that has been dried and then soaked in a lime bath to swell it again. If you dry the hominy and grind it up you get grits, if you grind the dried corn you get corn meal. I prefer corn meal mush to grits, but I like both.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Canadian Curds have a specific flavor that I love.
    Here in the US we have to (BY FEDERAL LAW) pasteurize our milk products and Canada doesn't, nor does (probably) any other country.

Our (here in Maine) curds lack that "thing" that I love.

In the past, I have been known to be an international curd smuggler.

Also during the ban, I once drive through the boarder holding a burger that contained US beef.

CRAP! how did duck eggs get turned into Poutine?
    I wanted to say scramble the eggs.
    I had a girlfriend give me one once. The best way to describe the flavor is "like a chicken egg but 10 times better". The falvor was so much better.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 12-17-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Cheese curd! Reminds me of a little private dairy on the way to my moose hunting areas, many years ago. Used to plan the drive so we would stop at the Thornloe Dairy on our way north, and load up on fresh cheese curd, and garlic cheese curd. Either one would squeek when you bit into it, and went well with cold Molson's ale!

Thanks for the reminder.