Thread: Mars Bars, American vs. UK vs. Canadian

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Mars Bars, American vs. UK vs. Canadian

After the discussion in the candy thread that took place the other night i figured i would do an in depth review for everyone. I purchased an American made Milky Way, a Canadian made Mars bar and a UK made Mars bar. Here are some pics.

Here is the Made in US Mars Bar

Some ingredients etc.

Here is the Canadian Mars bar.

And the American

More to follow.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Here we see them opened. Right off the top the Canadian and the American look the same. The UK bar is a bit bigger.

Here we have the bars after I cut the end off each one. Starting on the right we have the Milky Way and then the Canadian and then UK.

Even the bottom of the bars has the same pattern.

Now for the verdict.

After eating an equal size portion of each bar. Rinsing my mouth with water between each sample i can tell you with all honesty they are the same. The UK Mars bar bigger but the filling is bit lighter and softer textured which indicates more air.

You can see on the packaging that the UK mars bar is actually a gram lighter then the others even thought it is a slightly physically larger bar.

So there you have it.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

We seriously need to do some shooting! We are geeking on candy bars!!!

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

The Best Milk Chocolate I have ever had in my Life was in Germany. The German Candy Brand, Kinder Chocolate, It is very Rich, and it Was very good. Here in the U.S. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Nestles Crunch, is my favorite Chocolate. Snickers comes in Third.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    The Best Milk Chocolate I have ever had in my Life was in Germany. The German Candy Brand, Kinder Chocolate, It is very Rich, and it Was very good. Here in the U.S. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Nestles Crunch, is my favorite Chocolate. Snickers comes in Third.
    You guys are hurting when it comes to candy. Kinder stuff is everywhere here as well. My favourite German Chocolate is Ritter Sport.

Shame, mars bars used to have a lot more stuff inside them like a layer of almonds or whatever they were, and none of the chocolate fluff like the milky way. All of those in the pics posted look like milky ways have always looked save for the layer of caramel, not real mars bars as we used to have in the US.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Shame, mars bars used to have a lot more stuff inside them like a layer of almonds or whatever they were, and none of the chocolate fluff like the milky way. All of those in the pics posted look like milky ways have always looked save for the layer of caramel, not real mars bars as we used to have in the US.
    Mars bars in the states still have almonds, they're basically the same thing as snickers but with almonds instead of peanuts. They aren't really common but they're around. Mars bars is just the brand name of milkyways sold in other countries.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Mars bars in the states still have almonds, they're basically the same thing as snickers but with almonds instead of peanuts. They aren't really common but they're around. Mars bars is just the brand name of milkyways sold in other countries.

I don't think I've ever had a mars bar, but as a fan of almonds and snickers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a mars bar.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

This! ^^^^^^^^^^
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

Agreed. I'll have a little time to shoot over Christmas. I have so many unfinished gun projects now its ridiculous. I need to get out and zero a few rifles, test a few loads in a few guns, check some for reliability, and do some practice.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Here we see them opened. Right off the top the Canadian and the American look the same. The UK bar is a bit bigger.

Here we have the bars after I cut the end off each one. Starting on the right we have the Milky Way and then the Canadian and then UK.

Even the bottom of the bars has the same pattern.

Now for the verdict.

After eating an equal size portion of each bar. Rinsing my mouth with water between each sample i can tell you with all honesty they are the same. The UK Mars bar bigger but the filling is bit lighter and softer textured which indicates more air.

You can see on the packaging that the UK mars bar is actually a gram lighter then the others even thought it is a slightly physically larger bar.

So there you have it.
    Excellent range report. I'm impressed.

I don't care for milky ways, bu am pretty interested in the American mars bar Rax was describing.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thanks Funky for your Reply on my other Post. By the way, does anyone remember that old Jingle from the 1960's? for Mars Candy? "The best Candy on Earth comes from Mars"
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021