Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A former special-operations doctor explains why he would rather be shot with an AK-47 than an M4

A former special-operations doctor explains why he would rather be shot with an AK-47 than an M4

http://www.businessinsider.com/ak-47...-an-m4-2015-12

Interesting read, but any time a bullet hits bone there's an insane amount of damage, no matter 762 or 556.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

A lot of damage can be done w/o hitting bone or a vital organ.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

It's not a choice I care to have to make.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

This guy sounds like a dipshit, Dr. Dipshit
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

What is it about doctors that makes them think they are qualified to make pronouncements outside the field of medicine? Seriously, a disproportionate amount of doctors are know-it-all jackasses who think they are experts in everybody else's field.

Kinda' juvenile topic too. Maybe next he will tell us whether he'd rather be beaten up by Batman or Superman.
    Last edited by nfa1934; 12-23-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    Maybe next he will tell us whether he'd rather be beaten up by Batman or Superman.

I remember one RN who was speaking to the media once, and she was talking about how she can tell if a gunshot victim was shot by an 'assault weapon' because of the bullet .... and she showed an X-ray of a .38 Special FMJ (deformed, but the article said it was a .38 special). Judging by the image, I originally thought it might have been a .30 carbine. Either way, we all know why her comment was total ASSHAT in that there has never been a real or look a like 'Assault weapon' that fires the .38 Special rimmed cartridge. Doh!

Just because they're in the medical field doesn't qualify them to say a damned thing about firearms tech, ballistics, nomenclature, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ak-47...-an-m4-2015-12

Interesting read, but any time a bullet hits bone there's an insane amount of damage, no matter 762 or 556.

Regardless of kinetic energy equations, the simple fact is that amount of powder = amount of power a round has.

The AK bullet may weigh more and fly more slowly, but look at the shell casing sizes... the AK round has more powder.

Therefore, the AK bullet should do more damage for the same "hit area" than a 5.56 does.

With that said... I would prefer not to be shot by either one.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Since Superman is so powerful a mere ordinary human has no chance, it is likely he would estimate the exact amount of force necessary to knock you out for just a little while. You would likely regain consciousness a few hours later and shake off a beating from Superman, due to his superhuman precision in delivering a knockout punch. Batman doesn't have either this ability or luxury. He's another human being, and he has no way of knowing your threat level. For all he knows, you're the next Bane, and he is going to respond accordingly. Batman is going to administer an epic beatdown, and you will be lucky to be out of the hospital in less than a month.

I'd much rather be beaten up by Superman than Batman.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

Very clever. But I still choose neither. It's no fun.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I might actually enjoy being beat up by Wonder Woman, as long as it's 1970's Lynda Carter. Or maybe that Isis chick.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Regardless of kinetic energy equations, the simple fact is that amount of powder = amount of power a round has.

The AK bullet may weigh more and fly more slowly, but look at the shell casing sizes... the AK round has more powder.

Therefore, the AK bullet should do more damage for the same "hit area" than a 5.56 does.

With that said... I would prefer not to be shot by either one.

Your assumption that energy equates damage is incorrect. There are many other variables which impact the volume and geometry of tissue damage.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

M-193 gel test:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

7.62x39 Golden Tiger FMJ gel test:

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    7.62x39 Golden Tiger FMJ gel test:

Looks like the x39 beat up the gelatin block a lot more than the 5.56............
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Your assumption that energy equates damage is incorrect. There are many other variables which impact the volume and geometry of tissue damage.
    +1, it has a lot to do with the rate at which the projectile can transfer energy to the target. dump all of your KE in the first inch and it is not very effective.

The spiw tests and the like, like the hk11 or whatever it was called, shot flechettes that were under 5mm in diameter. These things boogied along over 4k fps but turned into a fishhook kinda thing when they struck flesh. Some or all of them fired caseless rounds, so the entire case is consumed when fired, meaning they have a relatively huge powder charge but still make a tiny hole when they hit and then turn into a fishhook thingy.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    +1, it has a lot to do with the rate at which the projectile can transfer energy to the target. dump all of your KE in the first inch and it is not very effective.

Reminds me of a leo encounter where there was gunplay. This perp was shot multiple times with a 357mag at close range by the leo, but still ended up shooting and I think killing at least one leo. He had on a winter coat and also weighed over 300 pounds. All those 357 rounds penetrated and expanded as designed but they all stopped in his fat and never reached muscle let alone vitals.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Reminds me of a leo encounter where there was gunplay. This perp was shot multiple times with a 357mag at close range by the leo, but still ended up shooting and I think killing at least one leo. He had on a winter coat and also weighed over 300 pounds. All those 357 rounds penetrated and expanded as designed but they all stopped in his fat and never reached muscle let alone vitals.
    Sounds like they need a heavier load. Were they using 110 grain or something?

I don't remember what rounds, I read of it in a gun magazine magazine or heard it at a leo seminar.

That's nuts I thought .357 had the mass and speed to penetrate but a guy that size might give a lot of rounds trouble. Here's something crazy for you that I read. Just going thorough skin is the equivalent of 5" of ballistic gell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast