Thread: The future of war is....

The future of war is....

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Prolly already here. Just working out the bugs.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I mean, I can easily see cbus or nbc weapons dropped by transport planes, but not iron bombs or similar dumb munitions. Case in point, in Syria, Assad has been using helicopters to drop barrel bombs onto isis, the crewman just kicks the thing out the door and if it hits anyone at all, well and good.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i dont see that being feasible for so many reasons.

Why deth502?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Why deth502?

Big slow jets you can take out with pretty much any AA weapon.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

simplest first. what if it lands in a tree? on rocks? only deployable in clear, smooth rolling meadows is not a selling point.

2nd, an arm picked up a conventional cased round and it magically went off with no barrel and no recoil to the tiny little arm. ill just leave that one alone.

3 room. this thing is going to need a lot of hydraulics and motors and power to operate, those fancy tracks that raise up, the fact that it retains its chute and has to store that, all those rounds of ammo, the nifty camo hatches, this all takes up a lot of space, your not going to fit it all in there.

4 power. again, running all of that takes a lot of power. where is it coming from? as soon as it is deployed the solar panels get covered. batteries do not hold a charge indefinitely, and when the solar panels are uncovered to put it to use, its already far too late to be getting power from them. what happens when it sits ready for a year?? 2 years?? is there enough energy left in the batteries to even open the hatches to expose the solar panels?

im sure something similar is possible, and possibly even existent, but if so, has no resemblance to the fictional rendering. in real life these things are going to be much larger and have less features.

Yeah I think he meant to have used atgm's rather than artillery rounds.