Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a new ruck.Got any suggestions?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Dual-purpose gear is good.
    Ya just never know.

If you never need it for that 2nd purpose, then that's fantastic.
    But if one day you do just by chance...you don't want to be standing there asking yourself "Why the fuck did I buy a bright orange backpack?"
    Lol...
    Well orange is not my color.I keep hearing more and more tales of shootings now in Del Rio,we are 40 miles away from the border.I have found signs of humans passing through the lease,discarded canned food containers,goya brand juices,and some discarded clothing.I guess it is possible that I might need to ditch my ruck to evade some coyotes or drug runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    The printerman of backpacks!
    Last edited by AKTexas; 10-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Okay,does not really apply to me,but I get it.

As most seem to be planning for SHTF, then they need to pay attention. As I have no plans on SHTF or for that matter carrying a military ruck to go hiking I don't have the need.

Didnt really think of hiding a ruck either if the SHTF, thanks for the idea HDR. My ruck is in Desert Tan so it'll help if I needed to hide it. It's a big mother tho, or maybe I'm just small. But I can put 2 rifles in it and keep one on person, If for some reason I need 3 rifles.

A small group really would not want to get into a firefight. That is the reason the VC vanished after the 68 Tet and it is probably the same in Afghanistan or Iraq.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    A small group really would not want to get into a firefight. That is the reason the VC vanished after the 68 Tet and it is probably the same in Afghanistan or Iraq.
    Hell man, honestly, the best way to survive a firefight is to not even get in one...regardless of the size of your group.
    I'd rather have my Savage and be position near you with your Tikka, and pick 'em off at a distance...lol

LOL....
    If you didn't need one, then why did you order it?
    Ha ha ha.
    You sound just like my wife and shoes...
    Well, I'm actually pretty glad I did. I grew up with ALICE rucks, so it's familiar gear for me. This ones' basically a medium with some pluses and minuses.

Pluses: Desert camo; easier to darken then lighten when you need to stash it/cammy it. MOLLE loops on top flap and sides means it's easy to add room/organize without overloading. Better shoulder straps. Fastex buckles. Better organization inside w/hydration/pad sleeve and another shorter compartment. No radio pouch (since I no longer haul a SINCGARS, not an issue). Web loops on bottom great for a poncho.

Minuses: No Velcro map/panel pocket in flap. No pass-thru sleeves under outside pockets or webbing over pockets. Closure straps have criss-cross over MOLLE loops on pack flap which makes it a bitch to use the MOLLE loops on pack flap. Fix? re-route straps straight through. Too easy.

This is the new bug out bag for me. The SOC Tac-Ruc E&E may soon be DXed.

All 'n all, not a bad small/medium pack for the dough! Too bad Spec-Ops Brand discontinued this pack, but I picked it up for half-price on closeout. World's loss=my gain.

BDG
    Last edited by BigDumbGerman; 10-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Hell man, honestly, the best way to survive a firefight is to not even get in one...regardless of the size of your group.
    This is true; I was advising those who seek to embrace....

I'd rather have my Savage and be position near you with your Tikka, and pick 'em off at a distance...lol
    I was pretty good at being a pita.

Eberlestock G4 Operator. Love this ruck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Eberlestock G4 Operator. Love this ruck.
    Geeze!
    That thing looks heavy.
    I guess the days of the light fighter are fading away slowly into the sunset.
    Not for me....but for many it seems.

I've got more the have shitloads and hunker down mindset, I have a BlackHawk dragbag in OD as well that serves the sniper role, but the G4 I was thinking more long term sniper. I read a lot of good reveiws, and asked my Marine and ARMY buddies if they could help and said nothing but great word. A lot of our special forces and British, are using the same or similar in Afghanistan is what my mil friends tell me.

Most of the stuff in there is ammo and food, it'll get lighter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    A lot of our special forces and British, are using the same or similar in Afghanistan is what my mil friends tell me.
    If someone isn't SF or SAS don't believe what they say about SF or SAS.

SAS carries a Bergen 120L.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/LargeIma...12%20BLK-1.jpg

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductD...0/Default.aspx

Alright, thanks HDR

This Medium Transport Pack is good for day outings and does not cost an arm and a leg. It has the MOLLE system if you need to add additional pouches.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123