Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do Background Checks cost in your area?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question How much do Background Checks cost in your area?

Was watching The Five on FNC and one of the "conservatives" on the panel was saying how expanding background checks would hurt the poor/minorities. He stated that due to the cost of the checks, $60-$70 and higher the poor would, in effect be denied gun ownership due to the cost. I know here in VA the cost is $2. Where in the hell do they charge the kind of money this guy was stating?

I know in CA all private sales go through an FFL who also stores the firearm during the mandatory waiting period before transferring it to the new owner. Not sure what they storage charge is be even then I'd thing $60-$70 would be a little on the high side. Anyone on the board paying that kind of money for a back ground check?

P.S. I've never gone thru an FFL for a private sale here in VA so maybe they can charge more when it's not a direct sale from them?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

$20 is the minimum in my area. Standard is $50.

FFL's charge so much because the licensing system grants them a stranglehold on the legal transfer market. Combine that with the fact that most would rather you purchase from their inventory, and you get a severe example of market inefficiencies created through business regulation and permitting schemes.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 01-06-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

How much does the NICS background check cost? ZERO! Zero people unless something changed that I hadn't heard about since I gave up my 01 FFL license. NICS calls to run the background check cost zero dollars to the FFL dealer. I never charged a penny for the call. Any dealer charging the customer for the phone call is fucking them hard without even a kiss first. Yeah, just like that!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've paid $20/$25 most of the time. Anything higher I go elsewhere. I had one home based ffl that charged $10, but he gave up his ffl....

I have been quoted up to $50 and usually it is a standard gun shop that wants you to order the gun from them and does not want to mess with 3rd party sales.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 01-06-2016 at 06:43 PM.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

The FFL I have used will not perform a NICS check on any private sales. He told me he doesn't know anyone who will. Something tells me private sales in CO are still going on under the radar.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Ncis nothing
    transfer 25
    ccw background and court cost I think 80

I was thinking today what someone should propose is a BG check for all when you apply
    for a DL. After all if you have nothing to hide why would you refuse? It is for the children right?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Denver Metro is $20-25 for the BG. Quite a few will do private sale checks....for a unknown handling fee.......in 3 years of the Bloomberg feel good crap, I've only seen one such transfer!

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 01-06-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Denver Metro is $20-25 for the BG. Quite a few will do private sale checks....for a unknown handling fee.......in 3 years of the Bloomberg feel good crap, I've only seen one such transfer!

Dan
    Mt FFL said the new CO law limited what he could charge for the walk-in background check. He said it simply wasn't worth the time and effort. He jacked his xfrs to $40, claiming the new law added an extra cost. I haven't done anything with him for almost 2 years now. If you know someone who does xfrs for less than $30 let me know.

WWG1WGA

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Never done a background check. I have a chl.....

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses. I'm primarily interested in what you pay for the BGC when making a retail firearms purchase. I guess if you go to an FFL for a private sale that would end up as a transfer much like ordering from an online source and those run $25-$50 around here which includes the background check.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have never paid for a NICS when doing a retail purchase.

WWG1WGA

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Transfer and NICS $60.00
    Gun show NICS zero

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Same here. Zilch.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I have a local FFL here who will do it for $20. There is a $40 state fee on top of that which is lame but it is what it is.

Most shops will charge $60 they see you as taking food out of there mouth by not buying something off the shelf at an inflated price. My guy has no problems with internet sales or gunbroker transfers.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The FFL I have used will not perform a NICS check on any private sales. He told me he doesn't know anyone who will. Something tells me private sales in CO are still going on under the radar.
    I had an FFL tell me this once when I wanted to get a gun for J&G. I asked the FFL why he would not and was told that they didn't want the liability of selling a gun that was not theirs to someone they didn't know. I asked how that was different than when they sold a gun from the shop to someone off the street based on the background check. After about a minute of silence the FFL told me they just didn't do it. So I went down the street to another FFL who had no issues with doing the transfer. I think that one cost me $25 about 5 years ago.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I use a guy here, just outside of DC in Virginia, that does transfers for $15. Very easy to work with and very helpful. He just moved his store from his house to a stand alone building about 20 miles away or I would spend all my time there. He has set it up as a gathering place and seems to be doing quite well.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

$20 transfers for handguns.

normally.. PSP gets $3 for each handgun transfer for their record of sales that's not really a registry since registry in PA is illegal , it's just a record of sale ( blow me)

$2 for nics check.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Sevlex.....PM sent
    Dam

Same. The last two guns I bought new. At wall mart. Were a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge. Those were the last two new guns that I had bought in a LONG time. Really nothing interests me to go and buy new. Though I do check the local paper every week. When I do find something of interest. Well......

Maybe its a state thing. I have never been charged with a background check. Its advertised as transfers $35-$50. $50 being the asshole type dealers that think their FFL is golden.

BISHOP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast