Thread: SAR 3 hammer

SAR 3 hammer

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I have a 2000 SAR 3 in 223. Yes I know about the hammer problems. I "solved it" years ago by filing the face of the hammer flat till it hit flush with the bolt. I thought I was clever at the time. However, I am now concerned about what affects it might have had on the hammer heat treatment. Am I worrying about nothing?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I don't think you will have any problems. I don't think AKM hammers are surface treated. I have modified more than a few myself and personally have not had any issues, and no complaints from friends.

If you cut through the treatment, it will gall with use, depending. Isn't there a handy way to harden it again?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I do not think the hammer face can gall. I do not know anything about a SAR but if the fcg is like other ak's
    the only place it could gall would be the axis pin. As far as I know the only way to change the hardness of a metal
    is with heat, if he took his time and used a file or dremel tool, I do not think he could get the hammer hot enough
    with those tools. Unless he tried.
    Last edited by l921428x; 01-07-2016 at 06:14 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it hasn't since 2000 it isn't galling. OTOH if he wants to he can get some Kasnite and do a case harden on it to make the surface hard. The inside will remain softer unless it is of a grade of metal that can through harden. In wich case it might get too hard and crack. If it hasn't broken yet I'd just leave it a lone.

I put few rounds through it, less than 3000. Still I like the SAR 3 for its lack of recoil, accuracy and reliability. The only downside is the absence of replacement parts. I wish I had stocked up on those. The bolt is one of a kind I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I have a 2000 SAR 3 in 223. Yes I know about the hammer problems. I "solved it" years ago by filing the face of the hammer flat till it hit flush with the bolt. I thought I was clever at the time. However, I am now concerned about what affects it might have had on the hammer heat treatment. Am I worrying about nothing?

Heat treat is changed and/or damaged by HEAT. If you just hand filed it (or even put it on a grinder but didn't get it smoking hot), the heat treat is just fine.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I don't think you will have any problems. I don't think AKM hammers are surface treated. I have modified more than a few myself and personally have not had any issues, and no complaints from friends.

I agree. I doubt that a Kalashnikov has any kind of special heat treating.

They probably just get the hammer red hot, then piss on it.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!