Thread: First use of malware to take out civilian power grid infrastructure

First use of malware to take out civilian power grid infrastructure

Highly destructive malware that infected at least three regional power authorities in Ukraine led to a power failure that left hundreds of thousands of homes without electricity last week, researchers said. The outage left about half of the homes in the Ivano-Frankivsk region of Ukraine without electricity, Ukrainian news service TSN reported in an article posted a day after the December 23 failure.
    The report went on to say that the outage was the result of malware that disconnected electrical substations.
    On Monday, researchers from security firm iSIGHT Partners said they had obtained samples of the malicious code that infected at least three regional operators.
    They said the malware led to "destructive events" that in turn caused the blackout.
    If confirmed it would be the first known instance of someone using malware to generate a power outage.
    "It's a milestone because we've definitely seen targeted destructive events against energy before-oil firms, for instance-but never the event which causes the blackout," John Hultquist, head of iSIGHT's cyber espionage intelligence practice, told Ars. "It's the major scenario we've all been concerned about for so long." Researchers from antivirus provider ESET have confirmed that multiple Ukrainian power authorities were infected by "BlackEnergy," a package discovered in 2007 that was updated two years ago to include a host of new functions, including the ability to render infected computers unbootable.
    More recently, ESET found, the malware was updated again to add a component dubbed KillDisk, which destroys critical parts of a computer hard drive and also appears to have functions that sabotage industrial control systems.
    http://www.thebigwobble.org/2016/01/...on-highly.html

The genie is well out of the bottle.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Yeah I saw this a couple of days ago. All this plug in and wired up computer system to run everything
    is dangerous. But it is how everything is headed now. We constantly get letters from the service providers
    for us to go paperless. Ah no. We even had 1 company tell us they were going to charge us a couple of bucks
    to send our paper bill and take our checks as payment. So I called them and said we have been together for
    many years but I will change providers. That stopped that.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Yeah I saw this a couple of days ago. All this plug in and wired up computer system to run everything
    is dangerous. But it is how everything is headed now. We constantly get letters from the service providers
    for us to go paperless. Ah no. We even had 1 company tell us they were going to charge us a couple of bucks
    to send our paper bill and take our checks as payment. So I called them and said we have been together for
    many years but I will change providers. That stopped that.
    Yeah I like paper statements too. Say your bank "loses" all it's electronic records of your balances ect....... I'm not getting F'ed.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    .They said the malware led to "destructive events" that in turn caused the blackout.
    If confirmed it would be the first known instance of someone using malware to generate a power outage.
    "It's a milestone because we've definitely seen targeted destructive events against energy before-oil firms, for instance-but never the event which causes the blackout," John Hultquist, head of iSIGHT's cyber espionage intelligence practice, told Ars. "It's the major scenario we've all been concerned about for so long." Researchers from antivirus provider ESET have confirmed that multiple Ukrainian power authorities were infected by "BlackEnergy," a package discovered in 2007 that was updated two years ago to include a host of new functions, including the ability to render infected computers unbootable.
    More recently, ESET found, the malware was updated again to add a component dubbed KillDisk, which destroys critical parts of a computer hard drive and also appears to have functions that sabotage industrial control systems.
    http://www.thebigwobble.org/2016/01/...on-highly.html
    Seems to me, if the head of cyber espionage intelligence practice has been as worried as he claims to have been, he would have set in place measures to protect against such an attack.

Anything that is computer controlled is vulnerable.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Seems to me, if the head of cyber espionage intelligence practice has been as worried as he claims to have been, he would have set in place measures to protect against such an attack.

Anything that is computer controlled is vulnerable.
    What his company does is offer help in hardening systems. It's up to the utility owners to ante up for his or at least some protection. As you can imagine, the utilities don't want the cost nor the downtime that could come from security upgrades or changes in their operating procedures. I doubt if his company is or could be infected and taken down, but the isp that provides his net access might be a weak link. The single biggest issue is having the control and communications of embedded systems (here I mean built in computer chips that monitor and control water, gas, electric utility machines) over the innernet, this is the point of entry for most of the bad guys.

Also, like stuxnet, the malware will likely be targeting the embedded chips themselves, talking directly to them. As I recall, stuxnet was placed on the Iranian nuclear enrichment pcs by a usb drive, then the code spread and installed itself via the chip manufactrurers embedded os upgrade path into the embedded controller chips in the centrifuges, and caused them to go insane and ruin the centrifuges.

Another case in point, I read of a Russian attack where they didn't target the os or app, they tried to communicate with and control the chip in networking cards.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 01-09-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"