Thread: Another Conversation At Work

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Another Conversation At Work

I have been meaning to post a discussion I had with another officer at work last Friday. It was just after President Obama had done his news conference and town hall on CNN. This officer was born and raised in Philadelphia and his views lean more liberal, especially as regards guns and gun control. He knows that I support the Second Amendment and the rest of the Constitution and we have had some talks about other sections, just not the SA.

I am generally the first person in the office and this officer was there just before I was, so we had the office to ourselves. He started the conversation asking me what I thought about the President's action and why it was so controversial. First I explained that most of what he did didn't require an executive order or would require congressional action so they seemed like a waste of time. Then I said the areas that are really causing concern are his proposals for mental health and for universal background checks. He asked what the concerns were with mental health and I explained that his proposals ignore due process, sort of like the various "No Fly" lists. He immediately understood the issue and the danger of ignoring due process in removing a right and agreed that those were bad ideas.

Next he asked what was so bad about universal background checks. First I pointed out that universal background checks would have little to no effect on crime and criminals acquiring guns which he agreed with. He then asked why we should do it anyway just to be sure. I explained how the process works and how the only real thing it does is allow the government to easily find which law abiding citizens own firearms. We discussed how the Constitution and SA were designed to ensure that the government could not become tyrannical and that if it did the people would have a way to defend themselves from tyranny. I then pointed out that the SA did not allow for anarchy as the Constitution also invokes very grave punishments for treason, a check and a balance both on government and on the citizenry. I think I swayed him to understand why universal background checks are not a good idea.

I was glad that we had the office to ourselves so that the conversation did not get derailed by other views or turn into an argument by one side or the other being able to overwhelm the conversation. He is still not a conservative but he realizes that there are good, factual reasons for us to not agree with the President and to not want gun control. He actually said that when you watch TV or read the news the only people that support gun control are the crazies that cannot articulate their positions logically. He said it was refreshing to get a new perspective that was presented in a way he could understand.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Good for you! To understand what the dems want all you have to do is look
    at Wash. state. Where it is basically illegal to hand a firearm to someone, to borrow,
    for a hunt.
    They just passed them last year and Bloomberg had a purse in it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Nice work. It takes patience and a logical mind and, above al, FACTS to effectively present this or any argument. Still, many people will never change their minds. It's important to spend the necessary time with the ones that might, though.

Face to face is much more effective than Facebook or internet forums, that's for sure!

I hate to say this but I'm surprised you're still employed in 0bama's navy.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Good for you! To understand what the dems want all you have to do is look
    at Wash. state. Where it is basically illegal to hand a firearm to someone, to borrow,
    for a hunt.
    They just passed them last year and Bloomberg had a purse in it.
    Washington is my home of record and where I am registered to vote. I tried to get as much information out on that stupid initiative as I could and I don't think any of my friends or family voted for it because I made sure they knew what was in it. It was not enough, though, so now we have to try to rescind it which is much harder. From what I read, however, even the law enforcement officers that want to enforce this law have no idea how to do it so it has not really changed anything. That is not good enough, we need to get rid of the law.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I agree, even if it never enforced NOW, it is still on the books for future "considerations."
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..