Thread: 2016 world economy off to a flying start!

2016 world economy off to a flying start!

RBS cries 'sell everything' as deflationary crisis nears
    Clients told to seek safety of Bunds and Treasuries. 'This is about return of capital, not return on capital. In a crowded hall, exit doors are small'

RBS has advised clients to brace for a “cataclysmic year” and a global deflationary crisis, warning that major stock markets could fall by a fifth and oil may plummet to $16 a barrel.

The bank’s credit team said markets are flashing stress alerts akin to the turbulent months before the Lehman crisis in 2008. “Sell everything except high quality bonds. This is about return of capital, not return on capital. In a crowded hall, exit doors are small,” it said in a client note.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...sis-nears.html

everything's fine, go back to sleep
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Wall Street's disastrous start to 2016 has caused roughly $1 trillion to vanish from the stock market.

The eye-popping losses highlight the deep fears that has gripped financial markets over China's economic slowdown and crashing oil prices.

That one-two punch caused the Dow and S&P 500 to suffer their worst start to a trading year on record last week.

The S&P 500's market valuation has plunged by $1.04 trillion since the end of 2015, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.

To put that stunning figure in context, it's like wiping out the combined value of the following tech giants: Google (GOOGL, Tech30) ($508 billion), Facebook (FB, Tech30) ($281 billion), Intel (INTC, Tech30) ($154 billion), Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) ($50 billion) and Yahoo (YHOO, Tech30) ($29 billion).
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/inve...016/index.html
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Perhaps our resident Canadian can comment on this;

The currency's decline is having a pronounced effect on Canadians' grocery bills.

As Bloomberg reminds us, Canada imports around 80% of its fresh fruits and vegetables. When the loonie slides, prices for those goods soar. "With lower-income households tending to spend a larger portion of income on food, this side effect of a soft currency brings them the most acute stress" Bloomberg continues.

Of course with the layoffs piling up, you can expect more households to fall into the "lower-income" category where they will have to fight to afford things like $3 cucumbers, $8 cauliflower, and $15 Frosted Flakes.

As Bloomberg notes, James Price, director of Capital Markets Products at Richardson GMP, recently joked during an interview on BloombergTV Canada that "we're going to be paying a buck a banana pretty soon."
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...psing-currency

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

it is true. Things are more costly here and it is only going to go up. I can't see $8 cucumbers and $15 frosted flakes but it will be higher then it is. My wife and I shop at farm markets and discount stores and we don't have routine things we buy. If i see Kale or pineapples cheap then thats going in the cart. So I will be ok. Dumber people will suffer though.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

rci how did those cameras work and do you and your wife grow a garden in the warm months?
    While I am at it how is your kid doing? Should be quite a sprig by now.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Must be a boutique store in Canada;
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...e-usa_01142016

All i can say is w t f!

And, with today's technology, you wan watch as it all comes tumbling down, live!
    http://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures

Lol, only the volatility index (VIX) is in the positive!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    rci how did those cameras work and do you and your wife grow a garden in the warm months?
    While I am at it how is your kid doing? Should be quite a sprig by now.
    The cameras are working fine. They caused the parents that own the village idiot that caused all the problems to build an 8 foot privacy fence in the back because they didn't want my cameras recording their dope smoking and whatever else they are doing. Also their little twerp now takes a wide berth of my property completely. My neighbour down the street is a teacher and has come to me twice now to check between the hours of whatever because of things on the go. The neighbourhood knows the cameras are there and recording 24/7. They also have quite a range on them that extends past my yard and a crisp clarity. I had a bit of an issue with the first DVR but that problem is resolved. Money well spent.

Yes we grow a garden. My wife likes to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, peas and beans. My focus is fruit trees and bushes. we have plums, apples, cherries, goose berries, blueberries and haskap bushes. I plan on putting in a couple peach and edible chestnut trees this spring. A friend of ours grows chamomile. That will be added likely this spring. Seems to like this climate.

On to the young fella. He is a hand full now. He is a real boy. 2 years old and loves to run, climb, and beat the crap out of things with sticks. Not sure if i should be alarmed or what. He is talking. Not full conversations but understands what he is told and is able to tell us what he wants. Knows his ABC's and can count to 10. Recognizes all the numbers. Doesn't have colours down yet. Everything is orange when you ask him what colour... We gave him a Crickett "My first Rifle" for christmas. Cant wait to go shooting for the first time. He likes making a ton of noise and things that go bang so he should be good to go soon with DIRECT adult (me) contact.
    Last edited by rci2950; 01-15-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38