Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to feel like a sucker for having a 401k.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I'm starting to feel like a sucker for having a 401k.

Given the current behavior of the stock market, I might be better off investing in barter items. Geez. And my only post apacolyptic bartable skill might be building outhouses.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Given the current behavior of the stock market, I might be better off investing in barter items. Geez. And my only post apacolyptic bartable skill might be building outhouses.
    Well, if the infrastructure fails, being able to build outhouses just might become a marketable/necessary skill....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I agree. My 401K is taking a beating. Dropped 6k is 5 months and the way it looks......it's not going to get any better. Wish I could pull it out without getting penalized. I guess I could roll it over to a IRA.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Short of full economic collapse the stock market will come back. Just sit tight and don't look at it every day. You might consider BAR SOAP or just liquid Dish Soap as a barter item. In the event of social melt down hygine and the ability to was / clean is going to be very valuable in order to maintain health. Then there's always toilet tissue. Many say bullets / ammo. Problem with bartering that is, it could be used to shoot you and take all your shit. My philosophy is to barter things that can't be used to kill you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I agree. My 401K is taking a beating. Dropped 6k is 5 months and the way it looks......it's not going to get any better. Wish I could pull it out without getting penalized. I guess I could roll it over to a IRA.

Some have taken it out and put it into hard metal that they have actual access to. Would you rather pay a penalty small in comparison to losing all of it?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My IRA is a "401AK". While I am sure if I had invested the funds in the tax free bonds I have I would be ahead, just the thought about democrat heads exploding over my hobby makes it worth it.

Seriously, while the bonds I own themselves are tied more to the fed interest rate (rate up, bonds down type of thing) as long as the fed interest stays low, and with people dumping stock and buying bonds, I am doing ok, but yes the 401K that I rolled into an IRA when I retired is a smoldering heap. Although I hate annuities, now that I have my funds lined up for guaranteed income, rolling the IRA into a locked but guaranteed payout annuity for 9 years isn't bad.

Who will ship metal to my home?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Short of full economic collapse the stock market will come back. Just sit tight and don't look at it every day. You might consider BAR SOAP or just liquid Dish Soap as a barter item. In the event of social melt down hygine and the ability to was / clean is going to be very valuable in order to maintain health. Then there's always toilet tissue. Many say bullets / ammo. Problem with bartering that is, it could be used to shoot you and take all your shit. My philosophy is to barter things that can't be used to kill you later.
    This. Even professional traders can't time the market. As long as you are 10 years or more from using the money, you will be fine. Also, the closer you are to retirement the more conservative your investments should be. They say to deduct your age from 100. The resulting number is the percentage of your retirement portfolio that should be in stocks.

As far as barter items go, I read once that feminine hygiene products would be a good idea.

I feel everyone's pain. My 401k actually lost 2.5% of it's value for the entire year of 2015. I get quarterly deposits of a little over $1,000.00 from my employer, in addition to my company match though; so I just take it as one quarterly deposit that was lost. I didn't even look at my 401k since the markets took a beating this week.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Apmex and Jm bullion are my two recommendations, as to what metal to buy and what size and from what mint is much more complicated, and will depend on what you think the future will be.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Thanks, Hated, I might just buy me some metals.

I wouldn't worry about it, matter of fact, you should invest in stocks right now. And if I had any metal I'd surely be selling to the buffoons who are buying like it was the end of the world. Remember to buy the dip!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, matter of fact, you should invest in stocks right now. And if I had any metal I'd surely be selling to the buffoons who are buying like it was the end of the world. Remember to buy the dip!
    The market has a lot further to go before I will start buying, this just the tip of the iceberg. Not only are the markets down but global shipping and trade are also down, we are very likely heading for a global recession/depression and that will most likely be promptly followed by WW3 to shed excess mouths and boost the economy.

Altar boy

The big 4, silver and platinum are hovering around 10 year lows, gold is coming close and for I believe the second time ever platinum is cheaper than gold. just picked up some aussie PT coins, will get more as long as it's below gold.

If your just getting into it, I would build a nice pile of silver, Canadian, Australian (Perth mint) or American government mint 1oz coins. If you can find them for a decent mark up, 90% quarters and dimes, it's .715 oz per face value dollar. But be careful because the mark up can get too high, and you will sacrifice more money than it's worth when you can just get 1oz coins. Stay away from generics at first as they are not trusted as much as the above stuff is. After you build a nice pile of the above then you can start venturing into 5 and 10 oz bars, the Canadian mint makes 10oz bars. Don't get into 1 kilo and 100oz bars for a long time if ever.

I stay away from fractional (less than 1oz) anything, the mark ups are too high, double triple and quadruple per oz as you go smaller.

Also some places sell copper coins, copper is $1.98 a pound, so don't spend $1 on a 1 oz coin, which ends up being $14.54/lbs , if you want copper go buy it at the hardware store.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 01-17-2016 at 12:50 AM.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    The market has a lot further to go before I will start buying, this just the tip of the iceberg. Not only are the markets down but global shipping and trade are also down, we are very likely heading for a global recession/depression and that will most likely be promptly followed by WW3 to shed excess mouths and boost the economy.

Altar boy

The big 4, silver and platinum are hovering around 10 year lows, gold is coming close and for I believe the second time ever platinum is cheaper than gold. just picked up some aussie PT coins, will get more as long as it's below gold.

If your just getting into it, I would build a nice pile of silver, Canadian, Australian (Perth mint) or American government mint 1oz coins. If you can find them for a decent mark up, 90% quarters and dimes, it's .715 oz per face value dollar. But be careful because the mark up can get too high, and you will sacrifice more money than it's worth when you can just get 1oz coins. Stay away from generics at first as they are not trusted as much as the above stuff is. After you build a nice pile of the above then you can start venturing into 5 and 10 oz bars, the Canadian mint makes 10oz bars. Don't get into 1 kilo and 100oz bars for a long time if ever.

I stay away from fractional (less than 1oz) anything, the mark ups are too high, double triple and quadruple per oz as you go smaller.

Also some places sell copper coins, copper is $1.98 a pound, so don't spend $1 on a 1 oz coin, which ends up being $14.54/lbs , if you want copper go buy it at the hardware store.
    My response was to alterboy so he'd keep everything in paper so when the crash came he'd be wiped out.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I moved my whole 401K to money market last month... When I saw the interest rate go up I knew this was going to happen. The Fed has been prop'ing up the market for 6 years now. When they quit it had to go down.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    My response was to alterboy so he'd keep everything in paper so when the crash came he'd be wiped out.
    You forgot the purple.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

you are not a sucker for having a 401k. i recently retired. i keep telling my children save ,save ,save. the suckers are they who think: i'll never retire or i'll lose it so i'll spend it now. in a few years you will need every cent you have saved. in 2007-2008 i lost about 1/2 of my worth. i kept saving but in different funds. tomorrow or tuesday might be a good day to review those funds available to you.

– The worst ever start to a year (and end of the prior year)
    – The worst global economy of our lifetimes – trade “ground to a half”
    – Essentially all currencies at, near, or below all-time lows
    – Commodities at 40-year low, with much more pain to come
    – Obama says “Don’t fear the future,” in one of the most Custer-like statements ever.
    – The perfect storm of Precious Metals supply and demand, coming in 2016, in my view.
    http://investmentwatchblog.com/andre...und-to-a-half/

Everything's fine! Green shoots! Economy flourishing! No really, they're salivating over the trillions in retirement accounts, and they'll use the excuse of the shit economy to steal them. Oh sure they will roll them over into tbills, but that's the same as stealing, and worse when the tbills tank.

If I am buying into a 401k each week when it is high, I am likewise buying when it is low. Retirement savings is not a microwave, it is a more like a crockpot.

But then again, if one is inclined to fear things they cannot control, then by all means let that fear drive you to losing another 40% by cashing out.

Like I said, all signs are looking up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast