Thread: how to remove the black from an old SMLE?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

how to remove the black from an old SMLE?

The SMLE i picked up today is gross nasty. I dismantled it and cleaned out all the dust. It is in decent shape just dirty dirty. Oil soaked dust in every nook.. The only issue i don't want to jump on without a bit of a pointer is the stock. It is so dirty it is black. i gave it a rub with alcohol and an old bar towel but it is only improving a tiny bit. Is there something else i can do or just keep rubbing with the alcohol soaked bar towel?

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Do you want to refinish it or to just clean it. You might try Murphys oil soap to clean it. Maybe mineral sprouts if you want something a little stronger. Once you got it real clean I'd give it a light rub down with linseed oil

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

For the stock try Purple Power or Simple Green. Mineral spirits will help too.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You can also use Lemon Oil found with other furniture polish type substances in most grocery stores.