Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So my house got broken into Friday night...

As Schuetz stated the Golden Rods work really well at controlling humidity.
    You can even use more than one if you wish. I use an 18" and a 12" in mine. Yeah I know it sounds sexual, for the perverts.
    The 18" came with the safe and has been working since 99, I added the 12"
    because of John Lennon. "Happiness is a warm gun" And for B/U if one does
    fail.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sorry to hear that. Fucking aholes rather steal than work for a living need to be hung upon their 2nd conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Sorry to hear it... Look at Mastiffs also.
    I used to work with a guy who owned two Mastiffs that weighed around 140 lbs. A dude broke into his house one time. It did not end well for him.

Man am I sorry to hear about this. I too had my camp broken into. Fuckers took every thing that they could. Never heard a thing from the police. Except. Dude this sucks. I freaking hate thieves.

Where my safe is isn't the driest . I use 12" Dri-Rods .
    they last a long time , the pair I'm using are over 10 years old.

Just remember, do everything you can to not make your home look like a soft target.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Man that sucks. Very sorry to hear it. I do hope your insurance company covers the guns - most will not. USAA I think does. Doesn't make sense to me why any would not but it's a fact I can tell you.

As to the dog breed choice, I think you will be pleased with a Rotty. Its going to eat like a horse and need a lot of exercise though to keep trim and healthy. I hope you like to walk!

Keep us posted on how it goes.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Some guns cannot be replaced. For an example try looking for a sar 4 these days. Good luck with that. They are rarer than hens teeth.

Even safes are not foolproof unless bolted to the floor.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

As for the safe, I will be setting aside some money to buy one. Just not $1,500, which would be roughly 2/3 the value of what was taken. The dri rods idea I will look into so that I can bolt it down in the basement. The safe will likely be sheet metal, but I do have a welder, so I'm thinking about finding a pair of steel hasps and tig welding them on. Won't stop a sawzall or a grinder, but it will eliminate the ability to simply pry it open.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    As for the safe, I will be setting aside some money to buy one. Just not $1,500, which would be roughly 2/3 the value of what was taken. The dri rods idea I will look into so that I can bolt it down in the basement. The safe will likely be sheet metal, but I do have a welder, so I'm thinking about finding a pair of steel hasps and tig welding them on. Won't stop a sawzall or a grinder, but it will eliminate the ability to simply pry it open.
    I managed to get a really good deal on a very heavy safe (it is around 600#) you can get one for $400 or $500 if you are patient and look

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I will keep my eyes peeled.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I got mine at a sporting goods store like sports challet or sports authority or something like that it was a floor model so it was heavily discounted. Mine is a 32 gun safe, it sounds like you don't need anything that big.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I used to work with a guy who owned two Mastiffs that weighed around 140 lbs. A dude broke into his house one time. It did not end well for him.
    We had 3 English Mastiffs at different times. Most wonderful animals...but... unless you truly love giant dogs stay away from that breed.
    They need companionship. NEED it. They have terrible health problems (each of ours had a minimum of $3500 in vet bills. One was near twice that). They have short lives- our oldest was 8 when we put it down.

Once again, sorry, somewhat OT!
    CHOOT UM!

Do you think these guys went right for the guns? Who knew the guns were in that closet? Who knew you had an iffy basement door? Many of these break ins are inside jobs. Happened to my mother. Turned out it was her next door neighbors daughter that did it. They knew exactly what they were after.

Daughter is dead now. Heroin OD a few months ago. Nobody was surprised.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12