Thread: They have it all wrong

They have it all wrong

If I asked you what most defines Donald Trump supporters, what would you say? They’re white? They’re poor? They’re uneducated?

You’d be wrong.

In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism.

That’s right, Trump’s electoral strength—and his staying power—have been buoyed, above all, by Americans with authoritarian inclinations. And because of the prevalence of authoritarians in the American electorate, among Democrats as well as Republicans, it’s very possible that Trump’s fan base will continue to grow.
    Authoritarianism is not a new, untested concept in the American electorate. Since the rise of Nazi Germany, it has been one of the most widely studied ideas in social science. While its causes are still debated, the political behavior of authoritarians is not. Authoritarians obey. They rally to and follow strong leaders. And they respond aggressively to outsiders, especially when they feel threatened. From pledging to “make America great again” by building a wall on the border to promising to close mosques and ban Muslims from visiting the United States, Trump is playing directly to authoritarian inclinations.
    Read the entire article HERE: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...itarian-213533

Sad, pathetic attempt to sway people away from Trump... implying (if not outright claiming) that Trump is similar to Hitler and that Trump supporters tend to be "obedient".

The myriad of ways the terrified, desperate liberal left finds to try and discredit Trump seem to know no bounds.

But, we won't be fooled. I WANT America to be great again. I WANT our borders closed to illegals and terrorists. I WANT terrorist meeting and planning places (mosques) closed.

And I am by no means an "authoritarian". I put my Country FIRST, and to hell with anyone who is "offended" by that. And as far as I can see, Trump and I think a lot alike. That's why I'm voting for him.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

As I have watched the Republican field play out I have started to formulate what I would think is a great long range plan. Trump wins the election. He nominates Cruz to the Supreme Court. Rubio spends at least one more full 6 years in the Senate to prove he has learned his lesson and is willing to actually stand up for conservative ideas and then he is considered to replace Trump.

As to the point of your post, I have seen many pundits try to explain why Trump is doing so well. First it was uneducated white people, then it was mad Republicans, now it is sheep. Each time they try to explain this it turns out they are wrong. Trump has a multi-cultural draw, he has been found to have a decent Democrat and Independent following, and this latest attempt will be proven wrong as well. It will fail because the people who support Trump will prove it to be wrong and in doing so will most likely draw more support to his campaign. I say this as an observer and not a supporter as I have not decided who to support. I will say that Trump is not my favorite, but I don't have a problem voting for him if he is the candidate. I just think he will require more watching to keep him inside the Constitution. Luckily, I don't think it will take as much watching as the last 8 years have.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It seems these days that when the wonderful media is totally against someone, and in Trump's case, afraid of him, that candidate is someone to listen to and probably if the media really hates them, worth voting for.

The one big thing Trump has going for him and the media seems to know it, he is a political outsider that doesn't believe in political correctness, and it scares the media.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Check out this little nugget from the 6th paragraph where he discusses who authoritarian voters are more likely, according to him, in the Republican party than in the Democrat party.

He hypothesizes that the trend began decades ago, as Democrats embraced civil rights, gay rights, employment protections and other political positions valuing freedom and equality.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Trump is playing the same card as Reagan. Reagan was a consistent conservative back in the seventies. He was considered a joke until he overtook Carter in a land slide. Trump sounds a lot like Reagan, but he does not have the history of conservativism that Reagan had. It's like all of a sudden he is the next Reagan. Now is he legit or is he a demagogue? A very legitimate and concerning question.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I'm curious to see how anything changes with Palin's endorsement of Trump?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    Trump is playing the same card as Reagan. Reagan was a consistent conservative back in the seventies. He was considered a joke until he overtook Carter in a land slide. Trump sounds a lot like Reagan, but he does not have the history of conservativism that Reagan had. It's like all of a sudden he is the next Reagan. Now is he legit or is he a demagogue? A very legitimate and concerning question.
    People change for any number of reasons. How many times have the demos evolved?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Trump gets the media attention because they want him as the republican candidate. Once he is the one, they will destroy him. They don't want Cruz as the guy, as they know he can beat Hillary.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Three classes of people are against Trump. 1. Democrats, 2. mainstream Republican establishment and 3. the news media. When the people that run the Republican party don't want the candidate I go hummm... these are the folks that thought McCain and then Romney were the answer to a Republican Presidential victory. Both were epic failures but loved by them. Trump has enough money he doesn't need money from anybody, which means he is not beholding to anybody or any organization later if he wins.

All this said I would prefer Cruz, but will not think twice if Trump emerges as the candidate.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Trump gets the media attention because they want him as the republican candidate. Once he is the one, they will destroy him. They don't want Cruz as the guy, as they know he can beat Hillary.
    I don't think the CMSM can destroy him. That's why they fear him.

If they can't get rid of him in the primaries, then they know they can't do much to him as a nominee or President.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

MO, Trump is a democrat plant. Lots of people are going to be time fooled if he wins.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I like a lot of the things he says. However, we must keep in mind he has given money to Nancy Pelosi, Anthony Wiener, Barak Obama, Harry Ried, Rahm Emanuel. My experience has shown me that men seldom change and seldom for long. Hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    I'm curious to see how anything changes with Palin's endorsement of Trump?

Steve

The smartest move he could make is to have her as vp. But I am still of the opinion the entire process is political theatre and that Trump is still a NY lib, the exact opposite of what he is preaching.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"