Thread: Interesting what's on the "Restricted International Shipping" list

Interesting what's on the "Restricted International Shipping" list

I logged into my favorite place to buy non-electronic, non-gun stuff (Graingers) to order some DuPont Krytox grease (pure Teflon in grease form - the most awesome lubricant on the planet).

Anyway, it had a "compliance and restrictions" icon on it, so I looked to see why a $65.00, 2 ounce tube of GREASE would have any restrictions.

It seems as though it can't be shipped ANYWHERE other than the USA... the list is HUGE, and includes even Canada, Britain and Australia!

Look at the list!

This item has been restricted from sale in the following countries: Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Albania, Armenia, Angola, Antarctica, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Barbados, Bangladesh, Belgium, Burkina-Faso, Bulgaria, Bahrain, Burundi, Benin, Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Bolivia, Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba, Brazil, Bahamas, Bhutan, Bouvet Islands, Botswana, Belarus, Belize, Canada, Cocos Islands, The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, Congo, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Cook Islands, Chile, Cameroon, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cape Verde, Curacao, Christmas Island, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Djibouti, Denmark, Dominica, Algeria, Ecuador, Estonia, Egypt, Western Sahara, Eritrea, Spain, Ethiopia, Finland, Fiji, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Faroe Islands, France, Gabon, United Kingdom, Grenada, Georgia, French Guiana, Bailiwick of Guernsey, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greenland, Gambia, Guinea, Guadeloupe, Equatorial Guinea, Greece, S. George & S. Sandwich Islands, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Hong Kong, Heard and McDonald Islands, Honduras, Croatia, Haiti, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Isle of Man, India, British Indian Ocean Territory, Iraq, Iran, Iceland, Italy, Bailiwick of Jersey, Jamaica, Jordan, Japan, Kenya, Kirghizia, Cambodia, Kiribati, Comoros, St. Kitts and Nevis, North Korea, South Korea, Kuwait, Cayman Islands, Kazakhstan, Laos, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Libya, Morocco, Monaco, Moldavia, Republic of Montenegro, Madagascar, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Macedonia, Mali, Myanmar, Mongolia, Macau, Northern Mariana Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Montserrat, Malta, Mauritius, Maldives, Malawi, Malaysia, Mozambique, Namibia, New Caledonia, Niger, Norfolk Islands, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Netherlands, Norway, Nepal, Nauru, Niue Islands, New Zealand, Oman, Panama, Peru, French Polynesia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Poland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Pitcairn Islands, Palestinian Territory, Portugal, Paraguay, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Republic of Serbia, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Singapore, Saint Helena, Slovenia, Svalbard, Slovakia, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Senegal, Somalia, Suriname, Republic of South Sudan, Sao Tome and Principe, El Salvador, Country of Sint Maarten, Syria, Swaziland, Turks and Caicos Islands, Chad, French Southern Territories, Togo, Thailand, Tajikistan, Tokelau Islands, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Tonga, Turkey, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Tanzania, Ukraine, Uganda, American Minor Outlying Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican City, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, British Virgin Islands, Vietnam, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna Islands, Western Samoa, Yemen, Mayotte, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

I wonder what's so special about it? For that matter, I'm amazed it's not illegal in New York (everything else is).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Probably the PTFE in it. The Global Vaganistas of the UN have probably outlawed it due to the supposed Ozone Layer depletion aspects of making Teflon.

Well even if NY doesn't ban it I bet it is known to the state of Cali. to cause cancer.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Well even if NY doesn't ban it I bet it is known to the state of Cali. to cause cancer.
    Well, any idiot who eats Krytox grease deserves all the cancer they get. It's amazing how many idiots CA thinks they have. (It's one thing to think it, but another thing to announce it to the world.)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

That is what I'm thinking, I can't remember how many times I have read
    Cali. knows this is a carcinogen.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Well, any idiot who eats Krytox grease deserves all the cancer they get. It's amazing how many idiots CA thinks they have. (It's one thing to think it, but another thing to announce it to the world.)
    Well he's not gonna eat it, he's gonna use it for (clears throat) "lube". Lol

I seem to remember that when a teflon pan begins to peel, you are supposed to pitch it.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

perhaps as an alternative to krytox you can use halo-carbon grease. i have used both of them on stainless steel threads. also, have used dow-corning high-vacuum grease.

Lol that was pretty good!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Probably the PTFE in it. The Global Vaganistas of the UN have probably outlawed it due to the supposed Ozone Layer depletion aspects of making Teflon.

PTFE is a fluorine based compound. It's the chlorine based ones that supposedly damage the ozone layer.

For example, the banned R-12 refrigerant is Dichlorodifluoromethane (has chlorine in it) while the current "safe" refrigerant, R-134A, is 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (no chlorine).

In fact, the trade name "teflon" comes from "Polytetrafluoroethylene" which is the full name of Teflon.

On another note, I tried using Krytox as a firearm lubricant. It works amazingly well, but over time the burned soot from the powder mixes with it and turns it black.

And since nothing dissolves it like ordinary grease/oil, all one can do is wipe off the dirty stuff and apply new.

It turns out to be such a PITA to clean that I went back to ordinary gun oil and moly grease.

That is what I'm thinking, I can't remember how many times I have read
    Cali. knows this is a carcinogen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Well he's not gonna eat it, he's gonna use it for (clears throat) "lube". Lol

I seem to remember that when a teflon pan begins to peel, you are supposed to pitch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Lol that was pretty good!

Actually, Krytox is rated for use as a lubricant in food processing equipment and if you put a blob in your mouth and ate it, nothing would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    perhaps as an alternative to krytox you can use halo-carbon grease. i have used both of them on stainless steel threads. also, have used dow-corning high-vacuum grease.

I've thought of experimenting with mixing 1/2 and 1/2 graphite and Krytox to see how it works as a gun lubricant. Haven't tried it yet.

I HATE silicone grease (the Dow high vacuum stuff). It gets everywhere and causes days of itchy eyes, no matter how carefully it's handled.

Same thing with cyanoacrylate (super glue). That shit gets on everything (especially fingers), and again no matter how careful, it gets everywhere.