If you phone is low on power and the power goes out or if the outage is
    prolonged how would you charge your phone to call and say your power
    is out?

We just released our land line after 26 years and I do not feel
    real warm and fuzzy about it. Our phone always worked during
    power outages.
    Now I have a little emergency charger that you can put 4 AA's
    in and it will charge my phone but I will damn sure guarantee
    you MOST people have not thought this far ahead.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I will never give up my Home Phone, My Land Line my AT&T Phone. WHICH! has never failed me, and when the first Hurricane hit in 2004, it lasted 3 Days of the 5 Days our Power was out. I have always realized Portable Phones were Junk. you can keep them. I left Sprint, because they left me, and went to AT&T because Sprint threw Land Line Owners under the Bus. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

We maintain a land line phone and at least one corded phone to that land line (not a land line phone going to a cordless phone). We have cordless phones, but the backup is the corded phone.

As for other backup power we have two small, but powerful, battery backups, three if you count the one on the computer. The two small ones will run phones for about a day each and can be used for other things as well. One of them is capable of jump starting a car, if necessary.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I will never give up my Home Phone, My Land Line my AT&T Phone. WHICH! has never failed me, and when the first Hurricane hit in 2004, it lasted 3 Days of the 5 Days our Power was out. I have always realized Portable Phones were Junk. you can keep them. I left Sprint, because they left me, and went to AT&T because Sprint threw Land Line Owners under the Bus. Paul
    We cut the land line because of costs. AT&T was charging us 60 a month and all we really used it
    for was our alarm sys. We have since gone to RF for our alarm( that way you could not just cut the incoming line)
    and my wife didn't see the reason to keep it.

be the heat..

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

You might still be able to make 911 calls from your disconnected landline. You will have to confirm this with AT&T, however.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ines/index.htm
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I have a backup cellphone a motorola f3. It is designed for third world countries and as a result has no extras the battery however lasts about a week i charge that and my old blackberry on first word that a storm with power outage capability is coming. When the power is out and my phone batt is drained i pull my sim card out amd put it in the blackberry when that is down i put the sim in the african phone. You can also buy rechargable power packs thatprovide a couple recharges of your phone per cycle they can be found cheaply at marshalls, walmart, radio shack. I also did not give up my landline so i got that too
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

They said we could buy VoiP for 30 a month, but we consolidated all our phones, internet, tv
    to AT&T to save money. And we will save a considerable amount. I'll check into that though, thanks.

be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Here is an article from engadget. Phone is $25 and a spare battery is $6 from ebay.

MOTOFONE F3, the zombie apocalypse survival phone (video)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/27/m...l-phone-video/

You can never be too prepared. Whether you're being chased by brain sucking zombies, hunted down by ruthless killer robots, or -- more likely -- the victim of an earthquake or other natural disaster. There's only one phone you really need, and that's the MOTOFONE F3. Forget your smartphone and its fancy pants features, forget the internet -- when the apocalypse strikes your survival might depend on a durable handset with great battery life and just the basics, which is exactly what the MOTOFONE F3 delivers. Introduced in 2006 for developing markets, it makes and takes calls, sends and receives text messages, beeps and vibrates, stores and recalls your most important contacts, and includes an alarm clock -- that's it.

Of course, these specs describe almost every simple phone launched since SMS was added to the GSM standard. What makes the MOTOFONE F3 unique is that it uses a segmented e-paper display which sips power and remains legible in both direct sunlight and dark back alleys, along with dual antennae for superior radio performance. Battery life is absolutely incredible, with over 2 weeks in standby and several months powered off. Motorola also designed the handset to be light (68g), thin (9mm) and strong -- it's resistant to shock, dust and moisture, with a sealed keypad and speaker (which is extremely loud). The best part? You can pick one up online, unlocked, for as little as $25.
    Last edited by rci2950; 01-22-2016 at 12:34 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There are solar chargers available for some phones, and I can charge mine by plugging it into my car (USB).

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    We cut the land line because of costs. AT&T was charging us 60 a month and all we really used it
    for was our alarm sys. We have since gone to RF for our alarm( that way you could not just cut the incoming line)
    and
    When I read this reply it gave me pause. I had to re-read it a couple of times before I realized what you really said here. This first part of your reasoning is nothing more than rationalizing, on your part, why you stopped your hard line phone, however,

my wife didn't see the reason to keep it.
    Here's the real reason why your got rid of it.

It's okay to rationalize things if it makes you feel better, but those of us who have been married for countless years, know who really runs things around the house.

Nice try, though. I almost missed it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Another thing you could do is get some extra batteries for your cell phone and keep them charged up. When one dies, just pop in another one and keep going. Ebay sells them pretty cheap. (And, those Chinese ones work just as well as any other...chances are the brand named ones were made by the Chinese, too.)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    When I read this reply it gave me pause. I had to re-read it a couple of times before I realized what you really said here. This first part of your reasoning is nothing more than rationalizing, on your part, why you stopped your hard line phone, however,

Here's the real reason why your got rid of it.

It's okay to rationalize things if it makes you feel better, but those of us who have been married for countless years, know who really runs things around the house.

Nice try, though. I almost missed it.

be the heat..

to mind. Ok we may have some bad weather here and they are saying
    "with your phone report power outages and check for updates with this app."
    If you phone is low on power and the power goes out or if the outage is
    prolonged how would you charge your phone to call and say your power
    is out?

We just released our land line after 26 years and I do not feel
    real warm and fuzzy about it. Our phone always worked during
    power outages.
    Now I have a little emergency charger that you can put 4 AA's
    in and it will charge my phone but I will damn sure guarantee
    you MOST people have not thought this far ahead.
    I made a little emergency power pack that has a 12 volt sealed lead/acid battery in it and a cigarette lighter jack in front for 12 volts, plus a 5 volt regulator and a dual USB jack to power or charge phones if necessary. It's also got "5 way" binding posts (these things):

In case I need to power any other unforseen thing.

It's not a lot, but there's enough power to recharge a smartphone dozens of times or give a little charge to a dead car battery for one last try at starting it.

Ya never know......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...hone%20charger
    Google search address for soalr cell phone chargers. Also as mentioned your car's cigarette lighter socket can charge your phone with the appropriate chord. Also, how about a small gasoline generator?